The European Union: We're out...!!!

General chat about anything else goes here.

The European Union: In or Out?

Poll ended at 07 Aug 2016, 15:29

1. The UK should stay in the EU.
30%
2. The UK should leave the EU.
70%

Total votes: 335

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Wolborough wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 10:51 But what do the public want? A bad deal, a no deal - clearly in 2016 there were no details on the table so Leave voters could not have been fully aware of what they were voting for. Subsequently the social, economic and financial implications for the U.K. if Brexit happens looks to be damaging to a majority of the population for decades. Got a feeling public opinion is swinging behind no Brexit.
Couldn't disagree more. There are plenty of countries in Europe and outside the EU that are thriving. I can't see any evidence of that for countries inside the EU. All the scaremongering in the world doesn't change the fact that as the 5th largest economy in the world we could quite easily come up with a scenario where we have free trade AND fend off the doom and gloom over border control, not like we have that at the moment anyway.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 13:45... AND fend off the doom and gloom over border control, not like we have that at the moment anyway.
The big problem is the Repaublic of Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement...

We share a common border with the Republic who are very much an EU country and yet are committed by treaty to not having a closed border with them. It only takes one EU member state to exercise the power of veto and any EU agreement to any negotiated departure of the UK from the EU will be stopped in it's tracks leaving us with a 'no deal' scenario.

No deal then leaves this country vulnerable to whatever punitive terms and conditions the EU then cares to impose on our imports and exports with them. That will be damaging to both them and us and there is already large scale departing of companies and major employers from this country to a more 'EU friendly' environment on the other side of the channel. And remember too we are currently under punishing tariffs imposed by Donald Trump for exports into the USA so evidence of what damage that can do to our economy is there for all to see.

I'm not promoting either remaining or leaving on this forum ~ although I am firmly in the 'Remain' camp from a personal point of view and individuals will all arrive at their own personal preference ~ but what I am saying is that considering the recent period of austerity brought upon by over reliance on capitalist policies damaged so severely by our involvement with the US based sub-prime collapse and the fact that integration within the EU has brought both interference free travel and movement of citizens as well as goods and services I see no reason to upset the apple cart of those benefits.

...and remember; before complaining about free movement into this country there is just as much capacity for free movement out of it as the many Brits choosing to live on the European mainland ~ take trips around the Costas of Spain and the regions of France if you want proof of that.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Absolutely - am thinking that leaving the EU will bring many more troubles than remaining, that is not to say the EU is perfect but most likely much better than leaving on a bad or no deal. No doubt this will be debated from March 2019 and beyond, although I still hope (due to Government incompetence) that U.K. remains in.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

The EU is a faltering white elephant and it'll bankrupt all member states which I guess is the end objective for those that control it.
Dave

Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

But it’s controlled by the member states.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Is it hell as like.
Dave

Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 15:55 The EU is a faltering white elephant and it'll bankrupt all member states which I guess is the end objective for those that control it.
Who is that?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

George Soros and friends, that's who.
Formerly known as forevertufc
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

madgull wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 07:20
On a serious note, if anyone can suggest a solution* to the Irish border issue, I'd love to hear it. Genuinely.
A solution is not required. EU President Jean-Claude Juncker guaranteed the Irish Parliament there would be no hard border in the event of a 'No Deal'.

So why a backstop? Go figure!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

forevertufc wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 19:08 George Soros and friends, that's who.
Ah let me guess, the Rothschild's are involved as well?

Nice to see we're not above unfounded conspiracy theory on this forum.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Unfounded? Do your own research. Funny you should mention the Rothschild's.......
Dave

Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 21:41 Unfounded? Do your own research. Funny you should mention the Rothschild's.......
Unfounded because you offer no proof to back up your own anti-semitic conspiracies, the reason being is because conspiracy theories are by definition explanations that carry no credible evidence.

Did the Jews do 9/11?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Where the holy **** did you manage to drag up anti-semitic accusations from? Typical response from the remainers to label everyone who disagrees with them as racist. I actually believe the common Jewish person is ashamed of the antics of their leaders, certainly the ones I've engaged with were.

Before you just turn out the tiresome old responses I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else. I've done my research and opened my eyes, it would appear you're blinded by your own inhibitions.
Dave

californiagull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Paul Gibbs

Post by californiagull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 22:45 Where the holy **** did you manage to drag up anti-semitic accusations from?
Yo, what's up. I read this place a lot as an exile, but saw this and felt a need to chime in. Orange Gull didn't say you were anti-semitic or accuse you of being an anti-semite, he said that your conspiracy theories were anti-semitic. Because, well, they are. Having done the research you insisted we do, I discovered that conspiracies that involve George Soros as some kind of master puppeteer originate from anti-semites. Ditto Rothschilds nonsense. These are textbook anti-semitic conspiracy theories. I suspect you might need to open your eyes a bit more.

1992: Hungarian populist anti-Semitic leader Istvan Csurka calls Soros a “puppet of Jerusalem.”
1995: Slovakian president Jan Slota calls out Soros and others for bringing in “dirty money” to cause a parliamentary “coup d’etat.”
1997: Malaysian prime minister Mahathir bin Mohamad says this about the country’s currency crisis: “We do not want to say that this is a plot by the Jews, but in reality it is a Jew who triggered the currency plunge, and coincidentally Soros is a Jew.”
https://www.fastcompany.com/90247335/a- ... y-theories

"Mark Fenster, a law professor at the University of Florida and author of "Conspiracy Theories: Secrecy and Power in American Culture," said that many of the claims waged against Soros could have an anti-Semitic slant similar to false claims that the Rothschild family secretly controls all of the world's wealth. Fenster said wealth is often used to justify "fearing and hating the Jews" and, as a result, is also used to disguise anti-Semitism in some conspiracy theorists." https://www.businessinsider.com/how-did ... ght-2017-5

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... bba3103ccd

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... mb-attacks

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... arys-jews/

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/30/66205293 ... orge-soros

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/us/p ... trump.html

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/2/15946556/ ... -globalist

Man, I have found so many of these! I'll enjoy suggestions that every single website here is left-wing fake news and we can only trust Breitbart or whatnot.

PS: I love this comment:
Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Nov 2018, 22:45 I actually believe the common Jewish person is ashamed of the antics of their leaders, certainly the ones I've engaged with were.
:lol: what. "Their leaders"? Which leaders in particular? SouthamptonGull, man of the "common Jewish person"! Is this a shit version of "some of my best friends"?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Perhaps you should open your eyes wide enough to read what I've actually written, not what you imagine I've written.

Far from your imagined shit version my experience is drawn from a 5 year relationship, meeting her family and friends and visiting their home in Israel. Sorry if I don't fit your narrative but I prefer to draw on my own experiences and my own research, not some endless list of mainstream bullshit ;-)
Dave