Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Hello all!

Further to the successful 'Top 100 Torquay United Players' thread done earlier this year (http://www.torquayfans.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=7806), I have another one - Top 100 Matches.

This will be done in the same format as the player thread. Ideally you pick from the matches you have seen, but I have no issue if you choose a match from before your time - whichever way, I hope we will reach 100.

As before, what I want from you is a ranked list of your top 10 matches (1st being best, 10th being 10th best), and for the list to be sent via a PM to me. I would like some details about the match too - the date of the game, the final score and the competition, as this will make my job a bit easier.

The match you vote as #1 will get 10 points, 2nd gets 9, 10th gets 1 point. The matches chosen can be chosen with personal experiences in mind (e.g. memorable games even if we lost), or purely on the result/performance - it's up to you.

I will give a deadline of Saturday 30th January 2016, so there's plenty of time to think about it. We didn't quite make 100 players, but the thread was a success and a chance to reminisce - I hope this will bring the same outcome.

Get thinking, and I hope you enjoy!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Easy - Carlisle United 1 Torquay United 2. League 2 April 2006. Most exciting game I've seen. We were 2-0 up at half time. They scored early second half and we spent 40 minutes virtually in our own box - it was like the Somme. Can see Kevin Hills header going in now. Carlisle were champs elect. Their fans charged down the pitch at the end - and applauded us! Never have been so glad to hear a final whistle. The win virtually assured our very precious league status once more.

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
Sorry, Plymouth, didnt read it properly. That was my No.1 - will work on the others.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Can you send me the whole list in a Private Message please, as opposed to the thread.

Thanks.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

1. Torquay 2 Crewe 2
Stayed up thanks to Lincoln losing after a run of conceding late goals (I was at Orient, Hereford & Peterborough) seemed to have condemned us to relegation and quite possibly extinction.
Paul Dobson scoring in injury time after the famous Bryn the police dog biting Jim McNichol incident.

2. Barnet 2 Torquay 3
Relegation avoided again!
Huge Torquay following inside & outside the ground (Underestimating our support Barnet didn’t think it needed to be all ticket!)

3. Southend 0 Torquay 1
An unexpected promotion clinched when Huddersfield only drew at Cheltenham.
Leroy’s greatest moment.

3. Blackpool 2 Torquay 2. Torquay won on penalties
Play off final
Great night at Wembley with Gareth Howells saving then scoring a penalty to gain promotion.

5. Torquay 1 Cambridge 0
Play off final.
League status regained!
Tim Sills!

6. Histon 1 Torquay 0
Conference play of semi-final.
Great defensive performance, superb support and just one more step to regain league status.

7. Brentford 0 Torquay 1
Sherpa Van quarter final. (or was it Southern semi-final?)
Unexpected win at a team much better than we were.

8. Crawley 0 Torquay 1
2012?
Great atmosphere from our fans and highly pleasurable to beat Crawley and their lovely manager.

9. AFC Wimbledon 0 Torquay 2
First game under Chris Hargreaves.
Promised so much but we all know how it ended.

10. Torquay 1 Bolton 4
Sherpa Van Trophy final. Great occasion for Torquay United.
Outplayed by a very good Bolton team but it was Torquay’s first visit to Wembley,. Little did we realise how many more would follow.

Other than the Sherpa Van Final I’ve only included games with positive results, but other memorable matches were all the finals at Wembley (& Old Trafford) and our last Football League game for a few years, Mansfield away.
Most of my choice are away games, partly because away wins tend to be more enjoyable and partly because when I’ve come down to Devon for big end of season games we’ve tended to lose : Scunthorpe (league 1989?), York (league 2010), Exeter (play off 2008), Wrexham Trophy semi-final (2014).
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

standupsitdown wrote:1. Torquay 2 Crewe 2 ....etc etc
Interesting list and only 2 are on my provisional list of about 25. When I have narrowed it down to 10 I will send it in as requested by PM. I do think that posting it on the main thread instead of PM as requested is likely to skew the vote and utterly forgettable games could suddenly get votes on a wave of memory jogging nostalgia. Well it happened on the 'Top 100 Players' thread, where players who made the top 20 weren't fit to lace the boots of many who didn't even feature.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

standupsitdown Match 5 the score is wrong.

Chris Hargreaves scored in the first half and Tim Sills header in second half 2-0.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

And match 3 was 2-1 if I remember correctly
paul tufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by paul tufc »

Great idea have started a list.The wife is already shaking her head and laughing as I am sat down muttering, scribbling and crossing out games. Some of the games that I thought of straight away are slowly moving down the list and some off, but is bringing back memories of games that I had not thought about for such a long time.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I think you have a couple of those score wrong Standup. we won at Sarfent 2-1 not 1-0. David Graham getting both..and the other match was Play off final Torquay 2 cambirdge 0. I was also there. Our former manager Chris Hargreaves with the first, a terriic shot from the edge of the area or darned close to it in between to of their defenders. by and the second a bullet header from a Birlliant cross onto Tim Sills head.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Glostergull wrote:I think you have a couple of those score wrong Standup. we won at Sarfent 2-1 not 1-0. David Graham getting both..and the other match was Play off final Torquay 2 cambirdge 0. I was also there. Our former manager Chris Hargreaves with the first, a terriic shot from the edge of the area or darned close to it in between to of their defenders. by and the second a bullet header from a Birlliant cross onto Tim Sills head.
Steve Woods got the first
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed he did.

As requested, can lists be PM'ed to me. As Stefano says, posting lists in the thread may affect another posters list, so I like to keep them private. Once we get going with the list, you can discuss until your heart's content!

Thanks.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Oh dear, schoolboy errors. Memorable games but forgot the scores!

Another one I could have added which was memorable for different reasons was Colchester away, first game of the season in I think 1988. An unexpected win - 1.0 I think. Kenny Allen was in goal. It was Colchester's first game with an away fans ban and four of us managed to get in - and got a mention in the East Anglian Daily News the next day. And I suppose I should have considered a few that were memorable for being so bad. Another Colchester away comes to mind (lost 3.0 I think) when Tony Currie was playing and barley wandered out of the centre circle.

Added in 1 minute 26 seconds:
Sorry, I've done it again. Just read post above asking for no discussion. Please feel free to delete - although I don't think that Colchester game will feature in many lists!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

I have just submitted mine, gone for a few defeats because of atmosphere and all round experience, have missed out a few obvious days out like Wemberley for some more obscure ones which make supporting Torquay so much fun. Still trying to decide if I'm going today
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I've not received yours, Kernow - I think that was down to my inbox being full. Can you resend?

I've had a couple of lists so far, providing an interesting mix of games. I must say I struggled narrowing it down to 10 games, then again putting them in an order!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Damn, looks like maybe it didn't send as its not in my sent items. I'll do it again later, not sure I can remember the order!!