Torquay United v FGR (Boxing day/Jan 1ST) double header match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Think the worry about gate figures would quickly fade into insignificance should the performances remain like they were yesterday Rob
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Also can't really add to what has already been said. But yesterday reminded me why it's so easy to love tufc! I felt the fans and players were United!
Also brought my partner along for the first time, now she almost understands what all the fuss is about!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

The Torquay fans were great yesterday and I want to thank the drummer for his very important contribution. I'm still buzzing and feel very emotional, especially after Nicho stated that his Grandad sadly passed away yesterday. My condolences to Nicho and his family.

Our team will go Cheitenham with some confidence.

Near the start of the game the popside were chanting "you fat b.....d" at Parkin, who turned round to Ben Gerrin standing next to him and said "they are singing about you !". Ben chuckled and went on to do a good job marking the experienced Parkin.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Near the start of the game the popside were chanting "you fat b.....d" at Parkin, who turned round to Ben Gerrin standing next to him and said "they are singing about you !". Ben chuckled and went on to do a good job marking the experienced Parkin.[/quote]

I thought that Ben's brave low level flying header that poleaxed Parkin was one of the moments of the match! And what a match!

KN has taken some stick over the last few weeks for his Facebook posting and the TSW interview but what seemed to be lost in all the controversy was that he was supporting and sticking up for his players. Yesterday they repaid him by playing as a team, playing their socks off and playing for him. Well done Nico.

I hope now his doubters will now get behind him and the team.
Last edited by gullpower on 27 Dec 2015, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Got a good feeling about today. Think it's the sprouts.
Bliddy hell - if that's what happens, keep taking the sprouts, Scott. It's a funny ol' game as someone once said. We didn't see that coming. Kev and the players certainly stuck up two fingers to the many doubters like me who didn't expect anything from the Christmas games.

Good match reports from TommyG and Swanny, although I thought Swanny was a tad harsh on Lavercombe. Their goal was a very good strike and gave Lavercombe no chance. And TommyG posted 'Smith's careless clearance giving away a corner which led to the goal'. I think it was more a case of him being deceived by the wind (nothing to do with Scott's sprouts). Just a few thoughts from me, some of which have already been posted -
a. the match was helped by an excellent performance by the ref. My only slight criticism was the harsh booking of Verma for a tackle on Parkin who went over like a dying hippopotamus.
b. if that team can be kept together, with Angus returning, we are capable of surviving, but that is the sort of performance required from ALL the players every match, home and away.
c. I don't know how long we've got Smith, Wright and Verma (and Carmichael) on loan, but all efforts should be made to extend their loans until the end of the season if possible. They are all good lads and are showing great commitment.
d. Well done to the lads on the Pop Side for their great support throughout the match - brilliant. I think the lad with the drum - is it Danny? - should be allowed in free every week - yes, I really mean it !! His drumming gets the crowd going and the support of the fans is vital to get us out of the mire we're in.
e. as others have posted, I'm a fan of Angus MacDonald but I do think the captain's armband should be handed to Courtney.
f. Those who think Nicho should drop himself are wrong. If Nicho drops out, we lose Dan Butler in midfield and he has been great in midfield. He and Nicho have a good partnership on the left.
g. I was critical of Ben Gerring after the Lincoln match and have been critical of Heslop all season, but both did more than okay yesterday.
h. Finally, it was Boxing Day, FGR are second in the league and yet only a hundred or so of their fans bothered to make the short trip down from Nailsea to support their team. They do not deserve a team who are challenging for promotion. If it had been the other way around, there would have been closer to a 1000 Gulls fans at Forest Green.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

cracking game yesterday. I went along as a neutral (well kind of - I support Grimsby but I live down here so get to Plainmoor when I can) and this was the best game I've seen this season by a mile. Courtney Richards played the game that he should be playing every match and if he can keep fit and keep everyone playing together like that then Torquay will survive.

I thought some of the tactics were odd - high ball against the wind but then not making the most of it in the 2nd half, especially - but the win was well deserved, for everyone involved. I hope Cheltenham blow it now and & Kidderminster stuff FGR too ready for the away game next weekend!

here's my neutral's match review - https://keepusshape.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ch-report/

Added in 2 minutes 50 seconds:
TUST_Member_Rob wrote:What a win, can't add much else to whats been said, passion, fight and a bit of luck and it all clicked!

Keep the faith!

Also good to see the gate +2000 yesterday - average gate below is holding up!
that gate count is neat, nice one.hopefully a couple of wins and travelling support (I know, unlikely in this league!) lift it again

Added in 7 minutes 32 seconds:
TUST_Member_Rob wrote:What a win, can't add much else to whats been said, passion, fight and a bit of luck and it all clicked!

Keep the faith!

that gate count is neat, nice one.hopefully a couple of wins and travelling support (I know, unlikely in this league!) lift it again

Added in 1 second:

Keep the faith!

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Or even Nailsworth tomo?
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

That's a more positive forum now, good luck to KN and the team for the next game "one at a time" consistency will keep us up!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Or even Nailsworth tomo?
Ah - yes - Nailsworth, not Nailsea. Goegraphy up the creek. A P.S. point I forgot to post - it was great to see fans leaving Plainmoor with smiles on their faces instead of hangdog 'woe is me' expressions.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Highlights:

www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Watching them goals again is giving me a buzz already for tomorrows game! COYYYYYYYYY :goal:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I keep watching it over and over ....it really did happen !!

:lol: :lol:
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

RichyMills wrote:I thought some of the tactics were odd - high ball against the wind but then not making the most of it in the 2nd half, especially - but the win was well deserved, for everyone involved. I hope Cheltenham blow it now and & Kidderminster stuff FGR too ready for the away game next weekend!
There was no point playing long balls in the second half as the wind just took them out of play. Anything the strikers couldn't control was long gone before they had a chance to run onto it.

The conditions made it quite a strange match and once we went ahead we did a very good job of turning it into a 'low quality' game before the two late goals on the counter.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

A couple of decent passing moves for 2 goals there, noticably the best moments are from passing on the deck not hoofing in the air.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
paul tufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by paul tufc »

Great to watch again just to confirm it did happen we did not dream it. It has been a long time that I have waited and watched the highlights of a Torquay game. The hunting down in packs reminded me very much of the Buckle years. Hard work does reap rewards and there did seem to be a better team spirit boxing day.