will there be a next season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

will there be a next season?

Post by tufcbrett »

Just out of interest from anyone who has a better idea of the current situation than me. I have been living overseas for many years now have found it difficult to keep up with the gulls.

If we were to be relegated this season, would the club be able to play in the national south or would the doors close altogether?
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Who knows?

To be honest, I don't actually think the current board actually have a clue as to what would happen next season if we are relegated either!!!

Is there a plan, is there a vision ? .... probably not!

Realistically, under the current Board I would imagine that we would revert to part time football and crowds would drop to sub 1000 - that sort of scenario, you would hope .... would provoke the owners into action but without ANY money, sadly they are helpless and cannot effect any sort of change.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

CP Gull wrote:Who knows?

To be honest, I don't actually think the current board actually have a clue as to what would happen next season if we are relegated either!!!

Is there a plan, is there a vision ? .... probably not!

Realistically, under the current Board I would imagine that we would revert to part time football and crowds would drop to sub 1000 - that sort of scenario, you would hope .... would provoke the owners into action but without ANY money, sadly they are helpless and cannot effect any sort of change.
This is a rudderless ship about to crash on the rocks if that answers the question.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

tricky...most part-time clubs seem to function with their players having a 'day-job' which pays reasonably,& from which they can get a day away fairly easily to accommodate the travelling time when they have a Tuesday night fixture at some distance. The work situation in Torbay is 'not great' & I don't know whether a part-time existence is viable.I think it was Woking who earlier this season decided to go 'full-time' & employ their players within their own Academy-like system to guarantee their jobs.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I hope we're in the National League South*!
*Actually, I hope we're in the National League Premier but I'd rather (if relegated) we were still in existence as a fully functioning club.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Poor decisions by the club in recent years have resulted in poor outcomes on the pitch, and shrinking attendances bringing in a smaller income for the club, which at some stage will be unable to pay wages. But don't worry. As I understand it, the board are determined to keep the club alive with a sustainable future, even if that means, presumably, going down through the leagues and ending up playing amateur soccer in the South Devon League in a local park. At least there'll still be a club.. :-/
absolutely3rdrate
New Signing
New Signing

Post by absolutely3rdrate »

If we get relegated (and we probably will) surely the players must go part time. Nicholson playing himself is not a good move. I would love to see a detailed breakdown of where Thea Bristow's money went during the past few seasons.
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by york_gull »

At least if we get relegated it lowers travel time and expenses to games......

It seems everyone involved with the club just has their fingers crossed hoping for a miracle to get us out of this sad situation. Just how much debt are we in??
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trouble is relegation will probably cost us the clubs future, make no mistake about it our football club is currently hanging on financially by a thread, our club needs to stay in the premier division for many reasons.

Currently, unless there's an outrageous change in fortune, or Nicho suddenly morphs into a football manager , we are 100% going down.
Formerly known as forevertufc
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Forever - At last someone has said it for real.
We have no chance of surviving in a lower league
We have no chance of putting a run of games together with the current Manager and squad
The Board need to make a really tough decision on Nicho - it may be the last one they ever make if not - sack or back ?

Time for realism, action or closure !!!
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

I think if we do get relegated they should lock the doors, throw away the keys and the club should cease to exist.
If someone then wants to start again in Division 8 or what ever it is of the SDL then fine.
Please put us out of our misery. Nobody even had the energy to boo yesterday after another abject performance.
This from someone for whom next season would be their 50th watching the Gulls.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

I just hope there is a team to visit next season. If it is in Conference South then so be it. Always great to travel to Torquay and its surroundings :)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

There will be a next season. Whether or not Torquay United will exist is another matter.

We're ****, basically.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Heartbreaking to read all the comments on here. I also feel, barring a miracle, that we've had it, and won't be around for long. Our precious club looks dead & almost buried. I don't blame the current board for this, but I do point the finger of blame firmly at certain members of the previous board, who squandered the money that the Bristows gave them. I will never forgive them for their incompetence & wastefulness.
absolutely3rdrate
New Signing
New Signing

Post by absolutely3rdrate »

I also don't blame the present board, it's the previous lot who are responsible. Will we ever know just how much money Mrs Bristow put into the club and how it was spent? Obviously there was the new stand, but where did the rest go?