Basingstoke FC V Torquay United - Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Fancy being a director of Torquay United ,you get a draw with a team that are bottoman of the league below you, without a win all season, except in the cup ,so with twelve thousand quid at stake you think that that's money in the bank.Now twelve thousand quid is not a lot of money but I bet it's more than a lot of pensioners get yet the team that we put out can't be bothered to fight for the club,for the pride or passion of being in the next round.If I were a director of this club I would be having serious meetings on Monday morning.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Not sure why anyone is surprised at this result. We have been woeful in the cup as long as I've supported Torquay. Buckle aside of course.

Some of your responses though are as much of a joke as the result.

It's the cup ffs. Lower league opposition raising their game and we fluff our lines. With a young team that's always liable to happen. We're out now, so move on.

The trend is upwards and that is all that matters. One setback and you all come on here ranting. Jeez.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Ditto all the comments from the game really, can't be bothered to start rating each player although I'm afraid Heslop continues to disappoint. Couldn't even make a short pass with accuracy today. I continue to wonder why the YTS kids don't get a chance instead of being shipped out to local teams. They're homegrown and surely can't be any worse than the dross out there today.

What the hell was with the kids fighting and throwing punches leading to the police arriving (at a cost wiping out any gate receipts I guess)? Utterly embarrassing and any of you on here should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. I did find it odd having the supporters mixed like that but isn't it sad it proved to be an issue?
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well I'm glad I couldn't go. Basingstoke although bottom havnt played too badly actually. Last season with basically the same team things went their way but this season the opposite has happened. They have a lot of league experience actually.

But I'm gobsmacked about the result and it seems they were the better team. And yes they are part timers. The town is in a good geographical position to attract decent part time players.
TUST MEMBER
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Not sure why anyone is surprised at this result. We have been woeful in the cup as long as I've supported Torquay. Buckle aside of course.

It's the cup ffs. Lower league opposition raising their game and we fluff our lines. With a young team that's always liable to happen. We're out now, so move on.

The trend is upwards and that is all that matters. One setback and you all come on here ranting. Jeez.
:goodpost:

We got beaten by a far more experienced team today, form is out the window in the cup!

I'm not noticing lots of 'new posters' spouting the usual drivel
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I can only assume neither of you two witnessed the events today.

The result itself is horrendous - the performance was even worse. I have been to many hundreds of matches and today ranks as the worst performance I have ever seen. Left with 25 minutes to go so missed the fighting, but not surprised as our idiots were out in force today.

One opportunity to give the fans something exciting, something to maybe make this season slightly memorable, and we've been absolutely tanked. Awful day.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Not sure why anyone is surprised at this result. We have been woeful in the cup as long as I've supported Torquay. Buckle aside of course.

Were you there?

This was no lower division team raising their game. Basingstoke were awful. This was by far the worst performance I have ever seen from a Torquay team. You had to be shockingly atrocious to even lose to Basingstoke, let alone by 3.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Disgraceful. Absolutely hopeless from start to finish. Shocking performance by the players and some terrible decisions from Nicholson. Why keep Shepherd on the pitch? Please tell him he's not a footballer and tell him to piss off. Fenwick, our only player that looked any good gets taken off. Richards was woeful, keep him on the field why? Just diabolical.

Best part of the day? The players come together at the end of the game in a huddle, it's chucking it down with rain, they are kept their for quite a while, they come over to applaud and we just stand there. No chant, no clapping, no booing, just silence. They turn away to the tunnel and the boos and chants ring out, but that was simply brilliant by us, it got the message across.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Not a good day for the club but with a young side we are going to get highs and lows. Due to being cup-tied Kevin could not play and today and you've got to say we missed him. We lacked the quality that Hurst brings to the side as well and I thought it was a good day for Chaney to be given a go but it was not to be.
I was disappointed with our supporters not clapping the team at the end of the game as being young and immature the players could resent this happening. The team needs all the help they can get and don't need the supporters turning against them just now. Believe it or not the players do try their hardest.
This was not a game to remember.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

if those players were trying their hardest, perhaps they've chosen the wrong career ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

arcadia wrote:I was disappointed with our supporters not clapping the team at the end of the game as being young and immature the players could resent this happening. The team needs all the help they can get and don't need the supporters turning against them just now. Believe it or not the players do try their hardest.

It wasn't about turning against the players, it was a way to show our absolute disgust in that performance this afternoon.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

There is no dressing this up, this was a shocking display from a bunch of players who showed no pride in their own performance. On low wages they might be but surely they play to impress not only their manager but also potential employers. They impressed nobody against what was at best a really average Basingstoke.
The 'manager' showed little inspiration or motivation from the dugout.
For those posting who weren't there this was a shocking performance. Bring in a decent keeper who can inspire confidence, somebody in mid-field who can pass and a striker who knows how to shoot!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

No man of the match thread? :whistle:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Why bother, only Basingstoke players would feature ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Really, what is the point. What's the point of going to Basingstoke, or anywhere, to witness a team of losers get beaten by the worst team in the 6th tier of football?
3-0 isn't even a contest. It's not like there's anything you could salvage from that.
I'm not sure how much more of this slow and painful death I can take. Lets just jack it in.
Last season I was convinced it couldn't get any worse and was encouraging people to stick with the club. I can't blame anyone for giving up now. It's a joke. To lose 7-3 at home to Bromley and 3-0 to BASINGSTOKE is just a farce. It's over.
Those who are saying that today we lost against an experienced team, it was always going to happen etc etc, fair play to you. Your positivity is admirable. For me, I can't really stomach this anymore. It's embarrassing. The fans have been brilliant away from home this season. We've done our bit. The club have failed us. Everyone else at the club should be appalled with themselves for dragging this club down. The distance we have fallen in 4 years is completely unbelievable and inexcusable.
It's not worth it. It's not enjoyable anymore.