Basingstoke FC V Torquay United - Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

http://m.westernmorningnews.co.uk/FA-Cu ... story.html

Nicho wont be playing Saturday then!! Never seen something like this before!!...
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Yep, He's cup tied Si, quite common. I think the rule is if you have played for another side in the cup you are ineligible to play for your new team in the cup.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Torquay fans, look out for the large "The Yellow Army" banner on Saturday. Let's try and segregate ourselves.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Banana skin? I don't think so. Basingstoke should not be under-estimated, but I've a feeling we'll have a decent run this season. Kevin N. will keep the team focussed and determined. And he will have a plan B ready, should it be necessary.
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

October arrives and with it, the magic of the F.A cup for National league premier division clubs, last season the cup wasn't so magic for The Gulls as two Josh Scott goals for Aldershot sent Torquay United crashing out of the cup prior to the first round proper, this season National League South club Basingstoke Town stand between us and a place in the all important first round draw.

The Dragons arrived in the conference south at the end of season 2003-4, despite losing in a play-off match for a place in the newly formed division, Basingstoke were awarded their place in this division after Hendon decided against joining the conference south division.

In 2008 current chairman Rafi Razzak owner of Centerprise International took control of the club, he has ambitious plans to re-locate the club to a new stadium. Basingstoke have come close to promotion to the NL; Premier division twice 2011-12 saw them as beaten play-off semi-finalists by Dartford, last season saw The Dragons gain their highest ever league finish coming in 3rd but once again would lose in the play-off semi-finals this time beaten by Whitehawk .

We've played Basingstoke before in the F.A cup before, a match I attended as a then fresh faced 20 year old, on the 9th December 1989, second round, although the game ended in a 3.2 win for The Gulls, I remember the game being very comfortable for The Gulls, only a late conciliation goal for The Dragons making the score line look closer than it should have been on the day.

Basingstoke haven't started this season so well, they are currently sat in 24th and last position, The Dragons are currently winless in the NL; South division, drawing 6 and losing 7 of their opening 13 games, Basingstoke can not and will not be underestimated by Torquay United.

This game gives us a chance to catch up with former Gull, a complete enigma during his time with Torquay United in Lloyd Macklin

For Gulls fans attending the match

The Camrose, Western Way, Basingstoke, Hampshire,RG22 6EZ. http://basingstoketown.net/the-club/the ... irections/

Featured Basingstoke player

Louie joined Basingstoke in December 2013 after leaving Hayes & Yeading United. He made an instant impact, scoring on his debut in a 4-0 victory over local rivals Farnborough. He was an important member of the squad that finished third in the Conference South in his first full season at The Camrose and has now signed a contract to remain with the club for the 2015/16 season.

Louie begun his career with Reading as a youngster. He has gone onto appear for Tamworth, Bristol Rovers, Barnet, Aldershot Town, Southend United, Grimsby Town, Ebbsfleet United and Alfreton Town. The midfielder also has two international caps to his name having appeared for Barbados in 2007, scoring one goal.

(apologies copied and pasted, due to time issues)

Basingstoke top goal scorers and season stats

Chris Flood 7
Liam Enver-Marum 4
Lloyd Macklin 3

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (HOME) 50% (AWAY) 50%
% Goals scored (HOME) 56% (AWAY) 44%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 52% (AWAY) 48%

Current form

Basingstoke Town D-L-L-D-D-L

5 Sep Hemel Hempst. 2 - 2 Basingstoke
12 Sep Basingstoke 1 - 5 Eastbourne
14 Sep St Albans Ci. 3 - 0 Basingstoke
19 Sep Basingstoke 1 - 1 Wealdstone
3 Oct Bath City 0 - 0 Basingstoke
17 Oct Basingstoke 1 - 2 Chelmsford C.

Last time out

Basingstoke 1 - 2 Chelmsford

Aaron Howe
Nathan Smart
Jay Gasson
Tom Bird
David Ray
Louie Soares
James Harper
Liam Enver-Marum
Chris Flood
Manny Williams
Harrison Gilkes

Substitutes

Robbie Rice
Will Salmon
Shaun McAuley
Lloyd Macklin
George Hallahan

Basingstoke Quietly confident ahead of Torquay cup match

Basingstoke Town manager Jason Bristow says his side are “quietly confident” of pulling off an FA Cup shock. “We are really looking forward to it,” he said. “It’s a great fixture for us and we will be trying to win the game and play well.

“Torquay are in the league above us and are a huge club, so it would be a shock if we won, but we are quietly confident that we can cause an upset.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/spo ... ay_United/

From a Torquay United point of view

Don't think anyone connected with our club are going to underestimate the importance of this game to the club, we all know what an effect winning this game alone and a potential cup run could do to our clubs finances, personally, I was opposed to Kevin Nicolson playing himself in the team, I wanted to see him on the side managing, although he certainly hasn't got any quicker, for me having Kevin in the team has had a positive effect in general, like pushing Hurst forward on the right hand side in front of Berry, Butler going forward in front of Nicho has been a real plus, so a real shame that both Hurst and Nicolson will miss this game tomorrow.

As we said goodbye to Kenny veysey last week, this week we welcome our new assistant manager, in the form of Torquay boy, Robbie Herrera.

HERRERA ENJOYING LIFE

"This is something that I have always wanted to do," he said. "I served my apprenticeship, if you like, in youth coaching and now to step up to this level is a challenge that I face with relish.

"I am extremely proud to be back at the club; I used to come and watch the team as a kid with my dad and then I signed as a schoolboy here and progressed through the youth and reserve team ranks to the first-team.

"I have a long affinity with the club and I am determined to do well and play my part in getting the club moving in the right direction again."

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... t5SJ9W3.99

Torquay United top goalscorers and season stats

James Hurst 7
Alex Fisher 5
Tyrone Marsh 4
Dan Butler 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (HOME) 33% (AWAY) 67%
% Goals scored (HOME) 39% (AWAY) 61%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 54% (AWAY) 46%

Current form

Torquay United L-L-L-W-D-D

26 Sep Lincoln City 2 - 0 Torquay Utd
3 Oct Torquay Utd 0 - 2 Aldershot To.
6 Oct Torquay Utd 2 - 3 Dover Athlet.
10 Oct Southport 0 - 1 Torquay Utd
13 Oct Woking 2 - 2 Torquay Utd
17 Oct Torquay Utd 1 - 1 Grimsby

Last time out

Torquay 1 - 1 Grimsby

01 Spiess Booked
29 Berry Booked
05 MacDonald
16 Richards
24 Nicholson
18 Smith
02 Hurst Booked (Murombedzi - 81' )
26 Heslop
03 Butler
10 Marsh
17 Fisher (Yeoman - 88' )

Substitutes
04 Fenwick
11 Murombedzi
14 Yeoman
21 Lavercombe
28 Hickford

Managing Torquay from touchline will be 'strange'

"Right now I'm regretting it as if the lads do well I'll lose my place and have to fight my way back in," he said.

The left-back took over as Gulls player-manager last month and has started every game since.

"It'll be strange," added Nicholson, who says he will be a calm figure on what will be his first game as a manager from the sidelines.

"I've never been a big one for shouting. It's alright when you're on the pitch, but the lads have prepared well so far this week.

"Once that is done, stood on the side I wouldn't expect to have to shout, I'd expect them to do it for me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34604141

Head to Head meetings

English FA Cup

09.12.1989 (R2) Basingstoke Town 2-3 Torquay United
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Another great preview Forever, except for one thing: 'October arrives'.

October's nearly over..!! :~D

However, it's the start of our FA Cup campaign this season, and we're overdue another good cup run, though this tie is not there for the taking. We still have to go out there and win it.

And I'm sure we will. Basingstoke 1 Torquay 3

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gullscorer wrote:Another great preview Forever, except for one thing: 'October arrives'.

October's nearly over..!! :~D
Indeed, just used as a figure of speech to lead into my preview.. ;-) :) thanks for the feedback b.t.w.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

0-4 win for the Gulls with Butler contributing to the shutout from left back and going on to keep Nicho on the bench for a while to come.
Marsh (2), Hurst & Macdonald. 999 in attendance.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Bert
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: nico

Post by Bert »

Isn't Hurst suspended
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes Hurst is I believe, in my match my match preview. ;-)
hustgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by hustgull »

Got to fancy ourselves against this lot.

3-1 Gulls.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'm taking nothing for granted nowadays.

6-1 to the good guys.

Marsh with all six

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

PhilGull wrote:0-4 win for the Gulls with Butler contributing to the shutout from left back and going on to keep Nicho on the bench for a while to come.
Dan Butler has been playing very well in his midfield role and seems to be revelling playing more forward. In the Grimsby match, he linked up well with Nicholson and dropped back as extra cover when needed. Nicho has been okay at left back, midfield strengthened with Butler in his new role - a win, win situation I think. It will interesting to see if Nicho decides to play regularly.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

What does brucie think?
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

We'll lose and they're a pub team.
TUST number 080