If you were Kev.......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

If you were Kev.......

Post by Dave_Pougher »

What would you do?

OK bit of an open ended question but what would be the one aspect, not currently happening on the field of play, within reason you'd like to see changed/improved/adjusted.

Somebody mentioned elsewhere we could have got Evens and Raynor apart from the fact they would never come here,you know what right now I'd have taken that An appointment that a few months ago would have been utterly abhorrent to me so why? These are almost definately the most DESPERATE times in the clubs history and what would have they done, they would have told players to lie cheat and con the ref as much as possible to gain any advantage on the pitch. That's what I would like KN to do at least in the short term. I truly believe Leroy would have had another season in the old league one had he have applied a bit of the above.

Not my style of football whatsoever, or do I like to watch it but relegation is unthinkable this is my club and I love it so let's stop being so bloody nice!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

- Give the players here some belief (there are some decent players in our squad believe it or not!)
- Get rid of Ex (in an ideal world replace him with a CB of experience who is not Ex)
- Play 4-4-2
- Find a CM on loan as light in this area
- Try to find a Striker on loan who will add something to the team
- Ignore the haters and stick to my guns (when you start doubting yourself there is only one result)
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

When we get Heslop and Richards back we are looking a little stronger. I cannot see how Nicholson can possibly play and manage the team - that looks impossible.
Can't really argue with anything you have said - we really have to change formation and drop Exodus.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Drop big Ex, ok his throws are a good weapon, but, one (?) goal resulting from this so far. Compare that to the 5, 6, 7+ goals we've concided due to his errors.
Thats our weak link at the moment, and teams are attacking it every week.
To the dotted line, We're on our way
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Exodus out! When I walked down the lane with him after the Boredom Wood disaster and chatted somehow I could tell his heart wasn't in it.
Nice guy as he is he isn't a natural leader. One of Nico's tasks is to find somebody who can wear the armband and lead - and no I don't mean Mansell!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

To be honest, while I was pleased he left, Mansel would be a welcome return at the moment. Someone who leads by example running around like a mad man is just what we need.

For what it's worth I would start off by putting round pegs in round holes. We need to stop conceding so many goals, so I would use a formation a bit like the one we used under Ling to begin with, with a holding player, two CM, advanced wingers and someone up front. I think we'll fall down by not having a proper target man but the priority has to be to stop conceding. Something like...

Spiess
Berry macdonald Smith butler
Hickford
Hurst bell heslop shep/briscoe/Marsh
Fisher /marsh

See how that goes and take it from there. After 3 defeats in a row, just need any result in his first game. 0-0 would be fine.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

My advice to Kev would be to stick to your plan, and trust your judgement. The worst thing he could do would be to persist with the 5-3-2 that clearly doesn't work, and to persist with Ex. Look at the players in training, implement your system and pick the best 11 players. No legacy stuff.

One thing I'd expect to see is a focus on sports science and conditioning coming more into our preparation. I remember when Kev was almost out the door after our first season back in the league, he did a lot of work with a nutritional it's over the summer. He came back leaner, fitter and had the two finest years of his career. A good starting point for a rookie manager would be to get the rest of the squad into that philosophy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:When we get Heslop and Richards back we are looking a little stronger. I cannot see how Nicholson can possibly play and manage the team - that looks impossible.
Can't really argue with anything you have said - we really have to change formation and drop Exodus.
Trying to remember some of your emails, I think the last time you graced Plainmoor with your presence was the Cheltenham debacle. You have therefore seen Heslop play half a match (he was, quite rightly, substituted at half time). I have seen him play in a couple of games since and believe me, on his performances so far, he's a liability. No way would I suggest to Nicholson that he should be in the team. Unless he contributes more between now and January, I don't think he will at Plainmoor when his short-term contract runs out. On his showing against Boreham Wood, Bell is a much better player.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

I would never pick myself in the team.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Defending starts from Striker constantly hunting down the opposition keeper and the rest of the team following suit.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Kevin is going to have a very busy start to his career as manager of the Gulls.

Starting on saturday with Aldershot at home he has 5 games in 14 days. Dover home, Southport away, Woking away and Grimsby home on 17 October.

The key for Kevin is to stabalise the team and get off to a good start. All our opponents will be looking at our recent results but also expecting that under a new manager there maybe a positive reaction.

Kevin has said that he will pick the team on merit based on this weeks training and I suspect that in all probability 8 of the team will be fairly easy decisions based on performance to date this season.

In my opinion they are
Speiss
Berry, MacDonald, Smith Butler
Hurst ? ? ?
Fisher, Marsh

The 3 question marks are the major problem that we have had all season of how to control the game in the middle of the park. Because of Luke Young injury we have very little creativity. The signing of Berry enables us to play Hurst further forward which is a plus but who do we bring in the mid field to support the defence and give some real service to the strikers.

Who are the candidates Richards but we dont know if he is fit, Heslop who has been very disappointing, Bell who seems promising, Briscoe who potentially is a match winner at this level, Murombedzi, has had few opportunities, Carmichael if recovered from injury.

I feel confident Kevin will go for 4 4 2 and if he gets the midfield selection right then that will be the key to improved results. I am sure that he will motivate this young team and I hope Torquay will unite to get behind the club at this most crucial time in our history.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Any manager coming in would sort out the defense.
I would play Lavercombe in goal I just feel he is more consistent and has a calmness around him, but it's a closer contest than earlier in the season. Berry McDonald Smith Butler would be the back four.
Hurst Richards Bell Murembedzi with Briscoe behind Marsh. We need to press Aldershot early on to set the pace of the game. Briscoe needs to start as he's the only potential match winner but up front in the box where he comes alive.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Lavercombe won't start and neither should he. He needs a few reserve games to get his confidence back.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

arcadia wrote:Any manager coming in would sort out the defense.
I would play Lavercombe in goal I just feel he is more consistent and has a calmness around him, but it's a closer contest than earlier in the season. Berry McDonald Smith Butler would be the back four.
Hurst Richards Bell Murembedzi with Briscoe behind Marsh. We need to press Aldershot early on to set the pace of the game. Briscoe needs to start as he's the only potential match winner but up front in the box where he comes alive.
I agree with this, except I'd start Spiess instead of Lavercombe. Briscoe needs to be pushed up front. That's where we'll get the best out of him.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

As far as I'm concerned the back 5 should be pretty much nailed on:

Goalkeeper has to be Spiess until we've built Dan's confidence back up.

Back four is a no brainer, Berry MacDonald Smith Butler, I'd be disappointed if Nico picked himself for left back because I think Butler is actually one of the better players in our squad, not sure whether he'd make a good left midfielder but if he shows promise in training then push him up there.

Midfield is slightly more problematic:
Hurst has to play on the right, as for the rest of midfield then there of 3/4 places available. Hickford and Bell did nothing of note at Lincoln, Heslop hasn't shown much since he's been with us and left wing/left midfield is a problem area - Briscoe is ineffective from here and Murombedzi isn't ready.

Up front I like the look of Fisher and Marsh but I'm not sure on where Fisher plays best yet.

So Nico has some big decisions regarding midfield and up front. Regarding Exodus - what a weapon he could be in the final twenty minutes. Take off an ineffective winger/midfielder stick Exodus in the middle of the park and every opportunity boot the ball out of touch up top and we could aerially bombard the opposition defence. Against a tired defence his long throws could be very effective indeed.