THAT Wayne Rooney goal.

General chat about anything else goes here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

THAT Wayne Rooney goal.

Post by ferrarilover »

Now, I love a volley as much as the next man. Equally, I appreciate as much as any relative layman can the exquisite technique, timing, skill and luck which go together to make such a nice goal. However...

For those who have been on Mars, in a cave, with their fingers in their ears, humming loudly 'The Lord is my Shepherd', this is the goal in question.

I'm not convinced that it's as good as some people are making out. I know this sort of this is pretty much subjective. One man's goal of the season is another man's lucky strike (NB, not the same as a Lucky Strike.) I'm still not sure it's anything like as good as the 'Goal of the Century' comments would have us believe.

For me, this >>>
and this >>>
are both better Wayne Rooney goals.

What do we all reckon?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Put it this way, can you imagine Billy Bunter scoring that goal? It was an absolutely quality goal and for a guy of his build, you have to admit it was very agile of him. The goal against Arsenal he had time on the ball and picked out his spot. The Newcastle goal is definitely a contender but in fairness, he was the right way up.

I think an overhead kick is technically more difficult than a volley or a long shot, although the scorchers will always look better.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Ok, fair point, but then, I have seen Lee Thorpe (who I think was the worst footballer God ever created) score a very good overhead kick. It's not so much the quality of the goal which I dispute, I accept it to be an excellent goal, I just don't see it as being so special as to warrant all the 'Goal of the Century' nonsense which is being bandied around.

Matt.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Ok, fair point, but then, I have seen Lee Thorpe (who I think was the worst footballer God ever created) score a very good overhead kick. It's not so much the quality of the goal which I dispute, I accept it to be an excellent goal, I just don't see it as being so special as to warrant all the 'Goal of the Century' nonsense which is being bandied around.

Matt.
I think it is certainly up there on the list and would definitely have a space in the top 10 (considering the century is only 11 years old!), I can't really think of many that took more technical ability really though.
Luke.

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Wayne Rooney - Tosser
THAT GOAL - Quality

End of!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Now there is a well reasoned argument. :clap:

Matt.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Why thank you :-D
TUST member 328
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Remember the Tim sills goal against Histon i think it was. Live on setanta anyway!

Ok so not not AS good but still a great finish- hardly got any RECOGNITION. Typically rooneys has been hyped up because it's one of the best players and in the best league in the world. It was a great goal but best goal of the year- over the top in my opinion.
Last edited by Yellow4life on 16 Feb 2011, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Anybody remember a Richard Hancox overhead kick vs Cardiff in the League Cup a few years back? As I remember he got a hat-trick in that game! Think we won 4-2.

So it just shows you, you don't always have to be a great player to pull it off.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

happytorq wrote:Anybody remember a Richard Hancox overhead kick vs Cardiff in the League Cup a few years back? As I remember he got a hat-trick in that game! Think we won 4-2.

So it just shows you, you don't always have to be a great player to pull it off.

I remember that night!

Myself and my brothers (we were quite young at the time!) came up with a song about that game.

Were you there at the Plainmoor,
Did you see those yellow Gulls score,
With fantasy flicks,
And overhead kicks,
Sh1tting on the city tonight!

Happy days!!! :)
TUST member 328
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Yellow4life wrote:Remember the Tim sills goal against Histon i think it was. Live on setanta anyway!

Ok so not not AS good but still a great finish- hardly got any recognisation. Typically rooneys has been hyped up because it's one of the best players and in the best league in the world. It was a great goal but best goal of the year- over the top in my opinion.
:rofl: Genius.

Matt
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

I agree with you. Sure, it's a great goal, but from the descriptions of it before I saw it I was expecting a lot better. His volley against Newcastle a few years ago was much better, and there's a number of goals already this season that have been a lot better in my opinion. Goal of the month maybe, but not season.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote: :rofl: Genius.

Matt
In fairness to him, Matt, he doesn't use a smilie in every bl**dy post he does on this forum like certain people!

:na:
Luke.

Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

ferrarilover wrote: :rofl: Genius.

Matt

Oh sorry, I never realised there was the spelling police on the torquay fans forum! Let's all :bow: !

Anyway, that was typed on my iPhone which auto corrected it, use your initiative and you should make out what it meant.

Oh and STAY ON TOPIC.
:whistle:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gulliball wrote:I agree with you. Sure, it's a great goal, but from the descriptions of it before I saw it I was expecting a lot better. His volley against Newcastle a few years ago was much better, and there's a number of goals already this season that have been a lot better in my opinion. Goal of the month maybe, but not season.
It's all about context, though. I've scored better goals than that in my time (no, really), but since they were at Victoria Park in Paignton they probably don't count. This goal was 10 minutes from the end of a local derby; against a team who some felt had a good chance at the title. I think that makes it better than his goal against Newcastle. Must admit, I was expecting a 30 yard stormer when I first heard about it too, but it doesn't diminish the skill to get it right.

Wasn't as good as Trevor Sinclair's for QPR a few years ago. But that was against Wimbledon, I think.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.