Players fund

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Right here goes, I'm fully expecting to get hammered and take some stick for this, plus get told I'm an idiot, told to shut up, told I don't know what I'm talking about, portrayed as a bit thick, accused of having a duuuhhh moment, and possibly getting my ass kicked. Sod it!

Been mulling this over for a while and have also seen a little mention of this idea elsewhere by someone else but it got missed and didnt get the sort of feedback like I actually felt it deserved. I have had a little look to find some info on this subject as to how it would work or whether its harmless or legal, but its clear as mud to me so ideas, knowledge and feedback please guys.

“ Instead of just asking for donations to a player fund to actively inject some much needed finance into the club coffers why not throw open to supporters a nice, simple, easy to understand, basic, cheap enough, sensible – share scheme.”

Going back a few months the old consortium were looking for a buyer, obviously that takes a lot of money – A group of supporters chucked in a reported 30k each - Dean Edwards after the new consortium took over said they were still looking for investors or investment if anyone is interested (that usually means one or two chucking in all at once a fair bit of wedge) – We have a supporters trust (TUST) trying to raise money through a monthly membership fee to gain some sort of position on the board or whatever their plans are for the greater good of TUFC – We now have the new board asking for a contribution from supporters to a player fund pot of money, which in effect is a charitable donation on top of what they already spend watching the team and buying merchandise etc, nothing wrong with that, the club have to try everything, but obviously the sort of money and uptake of support they need is unlikely to be enough for what is required.

So, when you buy a ticket, buy a shirt, scarf, programme or car sticker etc, you are putting money into the club to help and support them, in a round about way you are putting in investment but you are always getting something in return, with the player fund donations yes effectively it helps us have a better team but you aren't really getting much or something other than a thank you in return, not that supporters ever really expect much back other than a team that tries its best and gives its all. What supporters might open up to more and feel more willing to hand over their money to is an actual share scheme, the club needs money and investment, rather than going after a few people to put a lot of money in, why not go after a lot more people to put a little bit of money in at a time. So, the club sets its price per share keeps it very affordable and sensible, you offer them in the simplest, easiest, safest way to TUFC supporters, they hand over their money either buying shares monthly or as a lump sum as and when they can, and then they get little tiny pieces of the club they love, even if it doesn't mean much or have any effect on the running of the club or have much impact in the grand scheme of things or its just on paper etc, they feel great about having their little part of the club and it makes more supporters/investors/contributors want to contribute and buy their piece, they inject much needed funds to TUFC and its team and in turn it makes them feel closer to the club.

Without getting too excited we aren't talking fan ownership here or a TUST model, or the stock market, the board will still be the bosses/owners/control of the club, obviously unless someone eventually and affordably accrues enough shares of monetary value to earn a place, although that's highly unlikely as they would possibly have done that already. We could all become shareholders, even just on a very small scale, e.g at £5 or £10 a share you pay that then you own one share, you pay £10 a month, in a year you have 24 shares (just a theoretical figure).

look at it this way people are currently giving money to a fund either as a monthly direct debit or contributions here and there when affordable, how sustainable is that, how much interest is there for how long, is it really bringing in enough money? If you offered people shares in the club for that money, say they carry on contributing to it as they already are, you can pay a monthly direct debit or pay as you can afford and you get a share or 2 or 3 or 4 etc for that money, surely you would get more interest and uptake from the fan base, more supporters are likely to fork over the dough for the chance to be even the tiniest part of the club.

(Thinking about it I'm sure something like this sort of thing was mooted and very nearly did happen during Mike Batesons tenure, hut I could be mistaken.)

As I said I don't know the legalities, business protocols, how taxing would work (if at all) or how you could go about these things, but if you can say to someone come and invest in our club or come and put your money into our club, put your £x,ooo's in and be a board member, or say to supporters could you contribute some spare cash to the club, then as long as there is no harm, cost, or negative or complication to the running of TUFC then why cant each supporter no matter how big or small purchase a share, surely it shouldn't cost the club or do any harm in any way and the feel good factor and interest in it should be very positive, whilst giving TUFC a much needed cash injection.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Like the idea CG.

All companies have a number of Authorised Shares that are available for purchase and then a number of Issued Shares (which is no more than the Authorised number) which are shares that have been paid for. The company can sell the remainder of the Authorised Shares at any time.

In your suggestion, if shares were sold for say £5 or £10 each that may (and I don't know the current split between Issued and Authorised) use up the "spare" shares quickly, and in time those shares may outnumber the shares held by the Directors, and with voting rights could allow the supporters to out vote the Board !

Perhaps the club could consider setting up a separate share class - e.g. "B" shares. These could be priced at £120 per share, not have any voting rights and individuals could pay for each share on either a monthly basis (i.e. £10 per month) or outright.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Back to the players' fund, we're coming up to the end of the month, and the club should soon know how many standing orders are being paid in as regular monthly contributions. It only takes 200 supporters paying £10 monthly to reach £2000 a month. If the club tells us how many standing orders there are to date, along with a drive to increase the number of people donating, that would be a big boost to reach the 200 target. Compared with what the likes of Wrexham get from their supporters, it's not too much to ask. Charitable donations they may be, but buying shares in your local football club (excellent idea, by the way) amounts to the same thing.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Are they able to tell the difference between what is a standing order and what is a one of payment?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

It would be interesting to know the current state of the Players' Fund. Since we don't appear to have been told anything recently, presumably it remains untouched.

It would make sense to hold it in reserve until, say, the New Year, before deciding where the team may need strengthening. Goes without saying that this should be Kevin Nicholson's decision, and also that the fund should not be spent on anything else, otherwise the club would have taken money from supporters under false pretences (not that I believe our current board would do that).
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I did read somewhere that Nicho is hoping to make use of it soon so I guess there must be something worthwhile in there.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Was about £8600 at the time of the fans forum (Steve Breed gave the figure to the exact pound) and that was only a week or so ago.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Maybe enough for £300 a week for the rest of the season. Not sure what sort of player we could get for that...

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Just to give everyone the gen on DD SO and the like from banks.. The club can't cancel a Standing order..That's set up by you personally and is used to pay bills you want to pay yourself as usually non regular. Direct Debits are usually set up by the other party and you have a right to cancel them and if the other party takes out money after you wished them to stop, they are legally bound to return that money.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Player fund update;

As of 18/12/15 has raised; £12,745!!

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 58449.aspx
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

yes nico is making good use of the money, bringing in watcombe players, what a waste of bloody money!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ROADRUNNER wrote:yes nico is making good use of the money, bringing in watcombe players, what a waste of bloody money!
Given all the circumstances, that's unfair on KN. If 500 supporters gave £10 a month each, the fund would have £60,000 in a year. Those small donations soon add up, and in the club's current situation that kind of sum would be extremely useful, and would probably solve many of our immediate problems.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Still think a workable supporters share scheme would bring in more money for the club. Like I've said before, if you cant get a few people to invest or contribute a large sum of money then why not go after a lot of people to give a bit at a time.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

ive been contributing since the start of the season and what have we seen for it? a couple of loanees and a player from watcombe. and fabien spiess was on a wage what can only be described as discraceful and unlivible! its pathetic.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Anyone know how much was raised for this by those attending the showing of the match against FGR on TV, at the Gulls Nest on New Years Day?