Hargreaves, Hodges and Veysey on Gardening leave

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Now, there WAS a manager !!!!!! Loved Frankie Baby !!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Craig Easton or someone like that sounds more realistic for the reasons I put elsewhere, don't agree with the decision to be honest but what can you do. Offer people a massive pay cut and a cut to an already tiny playing budget and you can't expect them to stay. I've no idea if Hargreaves is a good manager or not but I wanted to give him the chance and see, allowing him to clear the decks and possibly build his own team this summer for the first time but hey ho it's not to be.

If he had a choice of us and Northampton, Christ i bet he regrets that decision every day, thanks for trying Chris I'm sorry it didn't really work out mainly for reasons outside your control in my opinion, definitely right club wrong time.
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

I definitely don't feel like apologising to Chris Hargreaves.
In fact, I think he should be apologising to us!
I'm glad he's gone. Delighted in fact. I will never ever forget losing 5-1 at home to Braintree. Totally unacceptable. Dover doing the double over us, terrible lifeless performances, uninspiring tactics (clueless even) and non-sensical substitutions. Last season was worse than any of us could have imagined and the coaching team needs to take a large portion of the blame. They just have to, they're in charge of the playing staff. Look at Martin rices performances too. Wow, what an awful season he had. What was Veysey coaching him every week?
I'm very pleased that the new board have had the balls to get rid of them and start again, despite the financial repercussions involved. Provided the replacements are better. But let's be honest, they're going to be aren't they.
I'd be amazed if Hargreaves gets another managerial job in his career.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

The way Deano is talking it might be John Beck!

I hope this is more as a warning that we will no longer be a soft touch rather than the whole new approach of hack it and then whack it!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

royalgull wrote:Craig Easton or someone like that sounds more realistic for the reasons I put elsewhere, don't agree with the decision to be honest but what can you do. Offer people a massive pay cut and a cut to an already tiny playing budget and you can't expect them to stay. I've no idea if Hargreaves is a good manager or not but I wanted to give him the chance and see, allowing him to clear the decks and possibly build his own team this summer for the first time but hey ho it's not to be.

If he had a choice of us and Northampton, Christ i bet he regrets that decision every day, thanks for trying Chris I'm sorry it didn't really work out mainly for reasons outside your control in my opinion, definitely right club wrong time.
I'm partly with Royal on this one. I'm in two minds. I would have liked Hargreaves to be given longer to prove his worth and if things hadn't improved by, say, November send him off on gardening leave then. On the other hand, if that happened a new manager would have to work with players Hargreaves had brought in so perhaps making the decision now is right so that whoever is appointed can bring in his own players. We've been told that Hargreaves had players lined up who he wished to bring in. The new bloke, whoever he is, will have to start from scratch and the weeks are ticking along to the new season.

The other factor is that we don't know what was going on behind the scenes last season - certainly some of the players didn't look as fit as they should be. Dean Edwards would have known what was happening so perhaps that has something to do with the consortium's decision. Paul Cox seems to be the hot odds-on favourite. For someone who has played for, and managed, midlands clubs during the whole of his career, I'm rather surprised that he would relocate his family to a club on its knees and presumably where he will be on a minimal contract. Time will tell of course.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Rumour has it that Hargreaves was on £2000 per week (ridiculous amount for a rookie manager if true), so even with a reduced managers wages Cox wouldn't need to be on a "minimal contract".
HopeGloryGulls
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Sharpe

Post by HopeGloryGulls »

Hargreaves me get have been a good player for us but he was a media loving prick. Glad he's gone. As for hodges, my god arrogant didn't know how to talk to his mum let alone the players. Go back to Bournemouth and stay there chris
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Jerry wrote:Rumour has it that Hargreaves was on £2000 per week (ridiculous amount for a rookie manager if true), so even with a reduced managers wages Cox wouldn't need to be on a "minimal contract".
So what is the average wage for a bottom quarter team manager in League Two (which Chris was when he signed the contract)?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

PhilGull wrote:So what is the average wage for a bottom quarter team manager in League Two (which Chris was when he signed the contract)?

Not sure, but I'd be amazed if was a hundred grand a year.

(edit; fix quote)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Googled my own question, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -year.html.
Average for League Two is (last October) £50000 a year... Is Hargreaves really on £2000 a week? I know the last board were a little lacking in their footballing knowledge but please don't tell me they were paying that much! Reminds of the Leeds stories when they were throwing money at players.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Southampton Gull wrote:
You can update your signature now Dave ;-)
Updated Dave! Had a fair bit of stick for my opnion on Mr B.Phillips and not revealing what I knew/felt ( not form Dave I hasten to add) about him and his position at TUFC. Not that that bothers me then or now but in hind sight I hope that some, not all obviously, now realise my concerns were genuine.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

PhilGull wrote:Googled my own question, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -year.html.
Average for League Two is (last October) £50000 a year... Is Hargreaves really on £2000 a week? I know the last board were a little lacking in their footballing knowledge but please don't tell me they were paying that much! Reminds of the Leeds stories when they were throwing money at players.
I doubt it was that much all on CH not even the combined incomes of CH and LH!

I think CH will go on to be a decent manager and he's learned some lessons whilst being in charge down here but it's cost us and ultimately his job.

Hopefully a new manager will be appointed soon, followed by some new players!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave_Pougher wrote: Updated Dave! Had a fair bit of stick for my opnion on Mr B.Phillips and not revealing what I knew/felt ( not form Dave I hasten to add) about him and his position at TUFC. Not that that bothers me then or now but in hind sight I hope that some, not all obviously, now realise my concerns were genuine.

Likewise mate but he's history now and won't be remembered for anything positive, that sums him up IMHO ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams

Post by Eirik »

CH should have been able to do better with the squad he had. I just can't buy his comments that he had so many players that was not his signings. That shouldn't stop him from motivating them to do a good job for the club.

I follow Rosenborg here in Norway. The last 2-3 seasons the club had a useless manager who was more focused on "getting back on the horse" each time the team lost a match or played bad. So at the end of last season he finally got sacked and a new manager came in. He had a completely different approach to the game, training and motivation. After a few start problems in the first few games they went on a 10 game winning streak to close the season. The start of this season has seen this form continue.

He has basically the same group of players as the old manager but it looks like a brand new team. Players that have been utterly awful for years are now setting "the league on fire". The mood in the squad are much better. If CH was a great manager he should have been able to do something like this as well.

But then again, maybe he just had crap players...
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Updated Dave! Had a fair bit of stick for my opnion on Mr B.Phillips and not revealing what I knew/felt ( not form Dave I hasten to add) about him and his position at TUFC. Not that that bothers me then or now but in hind sight I hope that some, not all obviously, now realise my concerns were genuine.

Is "Phillips" supposed to have three Ls Dave, or is the L-L-L an allusion to our form? :)

Added in 3 minutes 57 seconds:
rickl wrote:CH should have been able to do better with the squad he had. I just can't buy his comments that he had so many players that was not his signings. That shouldn't stop him from motivating them to do a good job for the club.

I follow Rosenborg here in Norway. The last 2-3 seasons the club had a useless manager who was more focused on "getting back on the horse" each time the team lost a match or played bad. So at the end of last season he finally got sacked and a new manager came in. He had a completely different approach to the game, training and motivation. After a few start problems in the first few games they went on a 10 game winning streak to close the season. The start of this season has seen this form continue.

He has basically the same group of players as the old manager but it looks like a brand new team. Players that have been utterly awful for years are now setting "the league on fire". The mood in the squad are much better. If CH was a great manager he should have been able to do something like this as well.

But then again, maybe he just had crap players...
The old "This isn't my team" excuse only gets you so far. Most professional players are capable of being part of a winning team. We only have to look at some of the players in our successful teams to know that it's very much about the chemistry as much as it is talent. I mean - Matt Hockley was great for us but he was never going to snapped up by Arsenal. I'd be prepared to give a manager a pass only for so long using that excuse. It's the managers job to identify strengths as much as weaknesses, and it's also on him to drill the team on the training ground to reduce silly errors. That didn't seem to happen last year. We've seen plenty of times that a new manager can come in and suddenly get great results with the same team, so clearly there's more to the job than simply finding players you like.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.