Hargreaves, Hodges and Veysey on Gardening leave

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

wodger of awabia wrote:Someone like Carlton Cole could fit the bill IMO.
:lol:
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Chris B wrote: :lol:

Who would you suggest then? or don't you like player managers?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The new owners have to cut costs somewhere, and must have done their arithmetic. If they cannot afford the three currently in post, it may be better to let them go and replace them with two newcomers. Sad for those concerned but an economic fact of life at Plainmoor. But if that happens, they will need to bring in the newcomers pretty sharpish, with the new season looming. The question then remains: who might the newcomers be?

Paul Buckle and A. N. Other..?? :) :) =D
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I agree I think it will be Buckle.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

wodger of awabia wrote:

Who would you suggest then? or don't you like player managers?
Apologies if my reply seemed rude, I genuinely thought you were joking. Player-manager wouldn't be the way I'd go, but if we did go down that route it'd more likely be a lower league journeyman, or someone who has played most recently been in League 1 or 2. Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe is one example of a successful appointment of that kind.

As for Carlton Cole specifically, he's a 31 year old Londoner, who has spent almost all of his career in London and the Premier League. I'd be amazed if he's considering coaching at all, never mind a move down four divisions to a quiet coastal town in Devon.

I'd take Paul Cox, expect it to be Matt Elliott or Steve Tully, and think whoever it is will face an incredibly difficult challenge. We're so behind in terms of planning and player recruitment, and I don't forsee us having a particularly competitive budget.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Sean Joyce ? friend of dean...........
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Well that's a third of funds placed by investors spent and need to replace these guys on top
Sadly this will go sour very quickly l original expected problems by November but with all the termination payments will be much nearer
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Southampton Gull wrote:
You can update your signature now Dave ;-)
lol Not until I am certain he has gone!

I have a horrible feeling that guy will hang on to a few of the shares gifted to him.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

It has been hinted on BTPIR for a few weeks now that Paul Cox would be our manager. I would certainly be happy if this is the case.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

Could we even see the return of Martin Ling? I wouldn't be against that happening.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Markh84 wrote:Could we even see the return of Martin Ling? I wouldn't be against that happening.

That is not a terrible shout. That conversation could easily have happened along the lines of "we're really sorry for how those buffoons treated you, if you're looking for a way back into the game, we can't pay you a great deal to begin with, but perform well and we can once the crowds come back/Hargreaves etc are off the payroll".

I imagine Dean Edwards knows him and I don't think he holds I'll feelings towards the club, just the former board.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Very surprised by this news, and not totally sure what to make of it.

First and foremost it's a shame. For all he did for the club in his playing days, I wanted it to work out. But there were clearly huge problems last season. I felt that maybe given the chance to build a squad of his own fully - and without the deadwood left to him by Knill - he might have been able to do a better job. But clearly the board has seen that people were voting with their feet and something needed to change.

You have to assume that the board already have their own man to bring in, otherwise this is an outrageously risky strategy. A few weeks away from pre-season, with no signings, half a squad and no coaching staff. There must be someone waiting in the wings. I see Paul Cox has been mentioned - great credentials at this level but it's quite a leftfield shout. Someone is either absolutely in the know, or is just throwing names around. In our clubs position, you'd have thought that the cheaper, local, younger option would be the way they'd be going.

I think someone (Kernowgull?) made a great point on the first page. This could be a very shrewd way of getting rid. Rather than paying up a full years severance in one go, the board can jam spread it over the year, bonuses removed, until Greavsie et al find other employment. Could be a masterstroke. And it's good to see the new board making desicive action so soon.

One last thing from me - a vast number of people on here said they wouldn't go again whilst the current board were in situ. Well now you have a new board. Others said they wouldn't go whilst CH was still in charge. He's gone now too. I hope these people will now be good to their word and go back to Plainmoor and back the new regime 110%.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Jeff wrote:Very surprised by this news, and not totally sure what to make of it.

First and foremost it's a shame. For all he did for the club in his playing days, I wanted it to work out. But there were clearly huge problems last season. I felt that maybe given the chance to build a squad of his own fully - and without the deadwood left to him by Knill - he might have been able to do a better job. But clearly the board has seen that people were voting with their feet and something needed to change.

You have to assume that the board already have their own man to bring in, otherwise this is an outrageously risky strategy. A few weeks away from pre-season, with no signings, half a squad and no coaching staff. There must be someone waiting in the wings. I see Paul Cox has been mentioned - great credentials at this level but it's quite a leftfield shout. Someone is either absolutely in the know, or is just throwing names around. In our clubs position, you'd have thought that the cheaper, local, younger option would be the way they'd be going.

I think someone (Kernowgull?) made a great point on the first page. This could be a very shrewd way of getting rid. Rather than paying up a full years severance in one go, the board can jam spread it over the year, bonuses removed, until Greavsie et al find other employment. Could be a masterstroke. And it's good to see the new board making desicive action so soon.

One last thing from me - a vast number of people on here said they wouldn't go again whilst the current board were in situ. Well now you have a new board. Others said they wouldn't go whilst CH was still in charge. He's gone now too. I hope these people will now be good to their word and go back to Plainmoor and back the new regime 110%.
:goodpost:

Ling back yes no issues, even buckle (he took no messing). Nicho as player/assistant is interesting as we get 2 for the price of one. I know it's been said previously but next week is so crucial
Lucy
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

I must say that the new consortium doesn't waste time. But one thing I struggle to understand. If they have their own manager in the wings, why would they bother offering CH and the others a new deal with reduced wages. What if they had agreed to this deal? Then their man in the wings would be left hanging.

Will be interesting to see who they appoint. Hopefully this will help bring people back in the stands.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

rickl wrote:I must say that the new consortium doesn't waste time. But one thing I struggle to understand. If they have their own manager in the wings, why would they bother offering CH and the others a new deal with reduced wages. What if they had agreed to this deal? Then their man in the wings would be left hanging. m

Will be interesting to see who they appoint. Hopefully this will help bring people back in the stands.
Because they knew they wouldn't accept the significance pay cut. Remember Hargreaves offering manse a significant pay cut last season, there was only one outcome
Lucy