TUFC 'Directors'

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

TUFC 'Directors'

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

There's been a lot posted in the last few days about the situation the club is in, and whether this take over will happen or not.

But what we haven't had is any input from the other directors - in total we have had nothing. Last year after Bristol Rovers got relegated I remember every couple of days their chairman would release a statement stating what the next steps were/ what they'd done so far and what was next. They had a lot of unhappy fans but they were open honest and transparent - look where they are now!

From other sites apparently Bill Phillips has been on holiday - at probably the most critical time this club has ever had - this tells me all I need to know about this man, does he care about the future of TUFC?

Some people have questioned Thea in the mix of this but what else could she do?

She's been thrusted into this position due to her windfall and freely admitted she didn't know how to run a football club. Has she had support from the other directors? Clearly not as she had to appoint Kelvin Thomas! And finally she's been hugely generous enough to pass on her shares debt free, what more do people want?

I'm usually not one to doom and gloom post but the seeming disregard the other directors have at this moment in time is infuriating. One of the main reasons Thea is stepping down is due to the effect this is having on her health, can the other directors look themselves in the mirror and say they've done all they can to help?

I'm sure they were there at old Trafford during the good times, but where are they now?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Bit weird I know, but I am going to defend the other directors over this point. It has to be remembered that Thea Bristow is the majority shareholder, what support she got from other directors prior is neither here nor there, Thea has effectively employed Kelvin Thomas (not sure this is the right use of words) to dispose of her majority shareholding in the club.

It's very highly likely the current directors have been as much in dark as everyone else, I know KT met with the other directors last week and gave them an update, however if there were takeover talks still preceding the other directors will not have been able to make public anything KT would have told them.

Also it came as no surprise to me hearing that KT had updated the board last week, knowing that some of our directors have been known to share information with certain fans and confidants, that little snippets of info about a potential takeover stalling have reached the public gaze.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I could say so much on this subject but really can't be bothered any more. PR has it just about right in my book.

Some morons disgracefully want to berate a decent kind woman for trying to secure what her husband fought so hard for. She's done more than could have been expected of her and other individuals should be ashamed at how they've treated her.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not doubting you on that Dave. PR was also criticising the directors for not feeding information out on the clubs current situation, on that score, they almost certainly know little more than what we do with out updates from KT, and then for the moment have to be careful what they say in public, all I'm sure will be revealed next week, if it isn't, well who knows where the club will end up.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Well, I'm sure the situation of Kelvin Thomas is very fine indeed! Just what use has he been?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think he was stating a wish for more transparency which I'd agree with.

Whatever happens and whatever level we end up at will be our own fault for not being progressive enough when we had rhe chance. As long as we have a club I'd rather we lived within our means even if that resulted in us playing league games against Tiverton. If I'm honest I've more or less resigned myself to it. Anything more positive will be a bonus for me.
Dave

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totally agree Dave, I'm resigned to the same fate, if no takeover comes through I will join the TUST straight away and would appeal for all others to do same, was stood watching my lad yesterday with a well kown TUFC fan, and his theory was there will always be a TUFC, but likely now to be at lower level, in the conference south perhaps lower. I will not withdraw my support for the club, we may even find it refreshing as a fan owned club, would love to follow the FCUM example.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Don't wait to see 'what happens' before joining TUST. It may well be too late by then. Join anyway.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Good points Forever!

Definitely wanted to angle to the transparency, without you create such a breeding ground for negativity.

And yes Hector, the TUST could now be critical! So far everything they've done has been well reported and reasoned. Setting the stall out as transparent and explaining decisions is a must.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So Bill Phillips booked a holiday in the West Indies? - that doesn't tell you anything about him at all - as usual you are talking out of your arse.
Did he have a crystal ball then?
Like it or lump it Thea Bristow is the chair person - if she didn't know how to run a football club then she would have been better employing someone that did instead of making the biggest balls up of it this side of nagasaki.
I have been a supporter for 53 years - I never thought I would see the day when we could be playing Bideford or Tiverton.
I would actually rather we closed the doors.
Why is it that some teams can compete in the Conference with less than half the resources that we have. We have a die hard fan base of 2000 odd and even Mrs Cock Up and her band of merry men have managed to erode that.
Its laughable that people were putting therir trust in a slimeball to save us.
Really people should be hanging their heads in shame.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Yes, you reazlly should hang your head in shame................
Dave

yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

brucie wrote:So Bill Phillips booked a holiday in the West Indies? - that doesn't tell you anything about him at all - as usual you are talking out of your arse.
Like it or lump it Thea Bristow is the chair person - if she didn't know how to run a football club then she would have been better employing someone that did instead of making the biggest balls up of it this side of nagasaki.
I have been a supporter for 53 years - I never thought I would see the day when we could be playing Bideford or Tiverton.
Why is it that some teams can compete in the Conference with less than half the resources that we have. We have a die hard fan base of 2000 odd and even Mrs Cock Up and her band of merry men have managed to erode that.
With regard to Bill Phillips's holiday I tend to agree with Brucie. Surely the end of season would normally be the best time for a Director to take a holiday. I can't imagine it would have been a last minute cheap deal.

The constant attacks on Thea are however a disgrace. When Paul died she found herself in a very difficult position and for a while let others run things with her providing the financial backing. For whatever reason, that fell apart and she, reluctantly it seemed, had to take over as Chairman. It was apparent from her first interview that she was out of her depth but seemingly hadlittle support from others and the writing was on the wall when Alex Rowe and the Boyce Brothers left the club.

I am not sure what more Thea could have done and she has been extremely generous with her family's money and even now when she has decided enough is enough she is generous enough to write the debt off and effectively give the club a fighting chance to move on. When I read posts like Brucie's it sometimes makes me wish she had withdrawn her support when Paul died, I wonder what he would have been calling her then?

On one final note, if we do end up playing Bideford and Tiverton I imagine Brucie will be delighted as it will save him all that traveling he has been moaning about for years.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'm just looking forward to seeing brucie pump in £3 million to the club. He must have that money, with all the games he's boycotted.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote:So Bill Phillips booked a holiday in the West Indies? - that doesn't tell you anything about him at all - as usual you are talking out of your arse.
No surprise that Thea wants out with "fans" insulting her like this.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

I am one of the first people to 'take my hat off' to Mrs Bristow for the way she took on her late husband's mantle (which has become somewhat of a millstone to her now), because, as she openly admitted, TUFC was his venture and not hers, but she wanted to carry on his legacy.

HOWEVER

Mrs Bristow has also openly admitted on many occasions now that she did not know how to run a football club, and none of her fellow 'supportive' Directors obviously have a clue either, so she has to shoulder some of the blame for the current predicament of the club today.
I am not overlooking her generosity in pumping £3million plus into the club coffers, but why oh why did she not seek some advice from someone in the 'football' know before she did is an interesting question.
Turning to this KT was obviously a last resort and must be costing her dearly financially now, not to mention the pressures put on her health & private life, but could/should she not have seeked help & advice from someone in the same vein as KT (who conveniently seemed to become available) before she did?
Numerous names were banded around on this forum (Lee, Warnock etc) some time ago .. I am sure they would have been able to offer help (for a fee!) and just maybe the club would not be in the position that it is now, both on & off the pitch.

This is not an insult aimed at Mrs Bristow - but it just seems to me that as she admitted she know nothing about what she was doing and she had no help from the suits who should have been helping/advising her, just maybe she should have looked outside of her boardroom before things got to the way they are now.