F.A Trophy semi final 2nd leg v Wrexham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Danny Ajala was dreadful, couslnt handle the physicality of the game.

Chappel came on and he tried harder than any player but he lacks quality, poor crosses and a couple of wasteful shots. Can only commend his effort.

I agree mate. But what was the point in swapping him with Briscoe? We may as well just taken Ajala off and brought on no-one. They were all dreadful today, we may as well have kept him on.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Whilst I'm all for an internal rap on the knuckles for MacDonald if this is established, I hope we can leave it there as he is another young player in a young team, who has reacted badly and clearly does give a sh*t. Nothing more than that.

More worryingly, by far, has to be our performances and consistency under Hargreaves' management.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

Mattpuma wrote:Thanks for calling me a moron for having an opinion. Classy. You must be one of the people who feel torrents of abuse are acceptable.

Haha, you clearly don't read my posts then. I've never abused a player and I'm against the abuse they get, which I wrote before. Have a read chap. Fair enough, I don't know you well enough to know if you're a moron or not, but your opinion is moronic.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

On Tuesday night, I was fed up because I'd wasted my time traveling down to Torquay for a game that wasn't on. Oh how I wish today's game had been called off!

Right from the start there was very little passion from the players. The club had done it's best to promote "Yellow Day" although in hind sight, on a day when everybody wore dark coats, the sea of Yellow failed to materialise and looking around the ground was no different to a normal Saturday.

This was an opportunity to play at Wembley and surely the players, having got off lightly in Wrexham, should have been up for this and should have put a shift in.

Campbell - Not the answer, showed nothing of note and miss kicked a golden opportunity early in the game.
Richards - Spouts off about God on Twitter all the time but when will God tell him he's shit? Can't pass, can't head, can't tackle = Can't play.
McQuilken and Ives were sadly out-muscled throughout the game.
Rice - Distribution poor and flapped at their third goal.

Everyone else was bland, poor and dis-interested in my opinion.

Today was a chance to welcome new fans, maybe kids who hadn't been before, and paid to get in with their parents would get their first taste of TUFC. After the first goal went in, people started talking about the Premier League, tonight's night out or what's on TV........in other words, the floating fans realised they'd paid to see shit and started to focus on their lives away from this dross again.

The club has missed a golden opportunity and a lot of new fans were lost today possibly forever but certainly for a couple of years or more.
As I left straight after the third goal, I seriously questioned why I do this anymore. What is the point?
There are some on here who are deluded and will say you support through thick and thin........show me the Thick times please. I'm struggling to remember them.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LocalGull »

Rjc70 wrote:Whilst I'm all for an internal rap on the knuckles for MacDonald if this is established, I hope we can leave it there as he is another young player in a young team, who has reacted badly and clearly does give a sh*t. Nothing more than that.

More worryingly, by far, has to be our performances and consistency under Hargreaves' management.
That's a fair point. At least he cares I guess. Wish the team had shown that level of passion in the game.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Not sure my opinion is moronic just because it differs from your opinion. I just feel there is no point shooting ourselves in the foot by losing one of our best players. I get your point about standards but there was extreme provocation involved and the lad has reacted. At least it shows he has passion. Perhaps an internal meeting with the squad to discuss discipline will suffice.
Passions are running high at the moment as we all want the club we love to succeed and I believe Angus does too!
Tust member 191
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Two more points....

1. Young has gone right off the boil since October, talk of him being a genius were ill judged and I couldn't see any club being interested in him now. Argyle knew what they were doing.
2. Hargreaves is a joke, several of us on here suggested he wasn't the right man for the job when he took over and we are all being proved right. Watch the interviews on the clubs Youtube channel. You couldn't witness a more arrogant, dis-interested bloke being interviewed every week.

Thea, save yourself, stop funding the club, enjoy what money you have left and lets all find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:
I agree mate. But what was the point in swapping him with Briscoe? We may as well just taken Ajala off and brought on no-one. They were all dreadful today, we may as well have kept him on.
Very fair!

I was asking for 3 at the back, might as we'll have gone for it but we got thumped anyway!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LocalGull »

Mattpuma wrote:Not sure my opinion is moronic just because it differs from your opinion. I just feel there is no point shooting ourselves in the foot by losing one of our best players. I get your point about standards but there was extreme provocation involved and the lad has reacted. At least it shows he has passion. Perhaps an internal meeting with the squad to discuss discipline will suffice.
Passions are running high at the moment as we all want the club we love to succeed and I believe Angus does too!
Apologies. I guess my frustrations are getting the better of me. I think that is a good idea-it needs addressing and tbh I think Angus needs to come out and apologise to the fans. If he had come over to the fans as gesture like young did im sure it would of eased the situation, but now there is a sour taste in the mouth with him. Agree there was probably extreme provocation and I don't think fans have the right to abuse the players the way they do just because they pay £13 or whatever it is, but also they do have the right to exercise their frustrations. I hate it when players get abused, especially when some things said on the terraces can be awful and unjust. In the same way I'd expect a fan to be ejected or banned or cautioned by stewards if they were execessive, aggressive and abusive towards the players, I expect the same if a player does it.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If McDonald did lose it I can understand why because he is one of the only ones that gives 100% every game but that is not an excuse to abuse supporters. I would put this down to a lack of experience and Hargreaves should sort it out.

The team fell apart when the first goal went in and once again our keeper was routed to his line letting things happen in front of him I've just seen it on replay and he reacted late and let the player get in front of him. Downes was watching his man and not the ball to allow their striker through for the second but down the left it seemed Ives was left exposed. When a manager sets his team out he should have the players cover each other Ives was left on his own Ajala had an off day.

Why Briscoe did not start with Chappell I do not know as I have quoted in another post the manager must take the blame when he does not know his best side.

Rice did ok shot stopping but at fault for the most important goal. :(
French guy did ok :|
McDonald did ok :) but should control himself and opologise :red:
Downes mistake for goal
Ives did ok
Richard poor :(
Young poor until it was to late. :(
Mc Q poor :(
Ajala :B nightmare game one to forget.
Cambell poor :(
Bowman poor :) :slap:
Briscoe not played where he is effective. :keepie:
Chappell should have started. (*)
Ichipong :(
There was no spirit in the side until it was to late. :keepie: :( :(
Hargreaves and coaching staff we are going backwards and there is only one thing to do. :red:
Last edited by arcadia on 28 Feb 2015, 19:26, edited 4 times in total.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Mattpuma wrote:Thats a great idea. Lets get our best defender banned by reporting him!
Seriously the non stop abuse dished out by some on the pop side is horrendous . Fair enough you might say, we pay their wages we can say what we want. Ok but then dont cry when someone bites back. If you give it learn to take it.
I challenge any of you to bite your lip when someone is screaming obscenities at you.
Agreed, but when you take into consideration the probable £1k+ a week he's probably on he should be able to take it and not react to the people who pay it, it's called being professional.

You call me just about anything you want for less than half of that a week!
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

Should we really be surprised what happened today? For months our league form has been poor, up until the semi-final we've had the easiest draws we could wish for in the FA Trophy and we could not even reach the first round proper of the FA Cup. Our FA Trophy run has masked our dreadful performance overall this season. From our management down, we are simply not good enough. Today we hardly had a shot on target and once we conceded our whole game fell apart. Crowd a really good 3,255 with 372 from Wrexham, sponsors MOTM Downes - well at least he tries. I thought the only other player to come out today with credit was a solid performance by Rice in goal.

It was a decent atmosphere today and the home crowd was doing their bit with some good chanting and lots of yellow on show. With Wrexham supporters also vocal the game was all set up nicely for a decent cup-tie. I was very impressed with Wrexham's solid defence and in the first half they coped comfortably with our attacks. Likewise Torquay were rarely troubled in the first half but Torqauy had to show the initiative. Loanee Campbell did lose his marker well to get clear in the penalty area but badly scuffed his shot. Likewise Bowman had a couple of half chances but did not test their keeper. Torquay's main problem all afternoon was in central midfield where Luke Young was totally out-of-sorts and Richards might have won some tackles but his distribution was poor. Ajala on the left wing had little time on the ball and McQuilkin on the right wing did some tidy link up play with right back Guegen and crosses but not much else. There was no-one on the end of the crosses and strikers Bowman and Campbell had little impact all match. The bottom line is that Torquay did not have one shot on target in the first half.

Torquay had to up their game in the second half but it was not forthcoming. Chappel came on for McQuilkin but Wrexham got the vital breakthrough in controversial circumstances. Downes was adjuged to have handled the ball outside the penalty area on our left when it was more a case of ball to hand. In swung the free-kick and a Wrexham player got his head first to put the ball past Rice. We have let in so many goals from these sort of free-kicks and corners this season and in truth we always look vulnerable from them. On came Briscoe and O'Archie for for Campbell and Ajala but instead of rallying around Torquay capitulated big style. Wrexham sliced through Torquay on our left and in went goals 2 and 3 in similiar circumstances. Loads of home fans poured out of the ground after the 2nd. and 3rd. goals and Torquay resembled a disjointed mess. Some Popsiders were having a go at the players and McDonald foolishly responded to them and Downes had to drag MacDonald away - all this as the game was going on. There was no leadership from the dug-out or from the players. Young is no captain and showed a lack of discipline instead to add to his woeful performance today as a player. Boos rang out at the end with just a few home fans sympathetically clapping our players off the pitch.

Well done to Wrexham, they were very solid, had a bit of know-how and knew how to finish. We had one shot on target, an Ives cross come shot that their keeper had to back pedal and tip over the bar. It could have been a flukey goal. Our whole club is really at rock bottom and at least today after this heavy defeat people attached to the club can face the truth. Our performances over the last few months simply have not merited a place in a cup final. Where do we go from here? Now that is a difficult one. Personally I think the experiment of raw yougnsters is not working and we need to look more to hardened pros. The same could be said of our management team but we are stuck with them for the foreseeable future. More tough times ahead I'm afraid.
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LocalGull »

Burnhamgull wrote:Two more points....

1. Young has gone right off the boil since October, talk of him being a genius were ill judged and I couldn't see any club being interested in him now. Argyle knew what they were doing.
2. Hargreaves is a joke, several of us on here suggested he wasn't the right man for the job when he took over and we are all being proved right. Watch the interviews on the clubs Youtube channel. You couldn't witness a more arrogant, dis-interested bloke being interviewed every week.

Thea, save yourself, stop funding the club, enjoy what money you have left and lets all find something else to do on a Saturday afternoon.
Agree young has gone right off the boil, but think he's a decent player. He's no genius but he's decent I used properly, and could prob play at league 1 standard eventually. He's not got great legs and struggles in a midfield two. This is the first thing the Plymouth fans said when he joined, and they were right. They said he should play in a three as the advanced midfielder as his strengths are breaking through and scoring, as well as his passing and distribution. He gets exposed in a midfield two. This seems spot on having watched him all year. He could maybe play a sitting role as the playmaker as he's got good passing range, but you'd miss his breaks from midfield and striking at goal. We just look so average with a 4-4-2. We were just long balling it all day today. I know the pitch wasn't great, but you could still play football on it.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

LocalGull wrote: Apologies. I guess my frustrations are getting the better of me. I think that is a good idea-it needs addressing and tbh I think Angus needs to come out and apologise to the fans. If he had come over to the fans as gesture like young did im sure it would of eased the situation, but now there is a sour taste in the mouth with him. Agree there was probably extreme provocation and I don't think fans have the right to abuse the players the way they do just because they pay £13 or whatever it is, but also they do have the right to exercise their frustrations. I hate it when players get abused, especially when some things said on the terraces can be awful and unjust. In the same way I'd expect a fan to be ejected or banned or cautioned by stewards if they were execessive, aggressive and abusive towards the players, I expect the same if a player does it.

Apology accepted. I think we all deserve a beer tonight !!
Tust member 191