Torquay United set for a take over ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United set for a take over ?

Post by Dave »

This story seems to confirm growing rumours , of not new investment but an actual take over. Any ideas from those in the know.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html
Formerly known as forevertufc
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I heard it was a London based company, not sure how true that is
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

If fit comes off, as long as their intentions are honourable, and of course depending on what their ambitions are, could see a change of manager any way, as often the case new club owners tend to bring in their own man, interesting few weeks ahead me thinks.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Thea needs help, that's for sure. If she does sell outright, I hope it's all for the right reasons. We need fresh cash injection as the club is currently heading for administration.
Lucy
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Moving to the Rugby ground, flats and hotel :)
TUST MEMBER
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

SBP wrote:I heard it was a London based company, not sure how true that is
A London based company took over Hereford, East End gentlemen they were, and look how that turned out. If Thea sells, I hope that the prospective buyer is investigated properly. The memory of Roberts is still there for me.
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Major board meeting set for Wednesday.
All employees including players to attend, I am led to believe.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Phipsy wrote:Major board meeting set for Wednesday.
Get some more chairs and we can all attend
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Phipsy wrote:Major board meeting set for Wednesday.
How do you know this
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Should there be some new money made available for the playing side let it be there before the Transfer Window closes.
On the other hand why would a Board meeting include all the staff? Only conclusion to that would be moving the club to part-time. I hope that's not the case.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

Or the Club could be going into administration
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

gullintwoplaces wrote: A London based company took over Hereford, East End gentlemen they were, and look how that turned out. If Thea sells, I hope that the prospective buyer is investigated properly. The memory of Roberts is still there for me.
This would be my concerns.

Why would anyone, who isn't local or a fan of the club, want to invest in Torquay United, if it wasn't for some other sort of project, such as Roberts, such as James Brent at Plymouth, or in the way we have seen countless other football clubs fall for?

If a new owner can be found who is genuinely in it to further the cause of TUFC, then all well and good but I would be very wary.

The current consortium (in its original guise, at least) was my ideal. You knew that this was a collection of people who were genuine fans and therefore decisions taken would be in the best interests of the club and not an individual's family or bank balance - I am just very sad that it does not appear to have worked out, if the selling of the club is perhaps on the agenda.

'London-based' has been mentioned a couple of times - do we have, other than Helen Chamberlain, any other London-based supporters with some money behind them? I wouldn't know but if it is someone/some people who have nothing to do with TUFC/Torbay, then I would be pretty suspicious.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well perhaps Thea is fedup up with some supporters suggesting the Board has f'd up.

I don't like the sound of it, and I would rather have a club in the conference with Torquay supporters on the board rather than some business man like Roberts using the club for their personal gain.

Perhaps the fans shouldn't moan so much about the current boards decisions, I know if I was Thea and all that she has done I would be very pissed off with some of the comments on here.
TUST MEMBER
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

You are funny Neal. Maybe it's got something to do with the cub losing money every month, and unsustainable in it's current form as a non-league football club, just as I've been saying all season, the club needed to stay in the League or get promoted back at the first attempt, I feel sorry for those who rely on the club for their income.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ahahaha, look at this place, full of chimps. Some random makes unsubstantiated claims about a "meeting" and suddenly we're either "going part time" (whatever the **** that might mean) or we're going into administration. This is the club, remember, who are grossly unprofessional, a stain on the good name of the Football Conference and many other slurs. Do you really think they'd be sufficiently well organised as to call a meeting to announce this news to the staff, when much larger and "properly run" clubs (by comparison, if you believe the vitriol often repeated here and elsewhere) have failed to do so, allowing Sky Sports News to deliver the unhappy message?

You need to make up your minds. For months the current regime have come in for criticism by the Football Chairman experts. Now there seems to be talk of fresh investment (the very thing for which many of you have explicitly begged) and you're grumpy that it might be someone of whom you don't approve.

We're Torquay. Arab trillionnaires don't buy clubs like ours. You've got a couple of choices. Wealthy but not mega rich local businessmen, well intentioned but never rich or stupid enough (businessmen don't get rich by chucking money down the drain chasing a pipedream) to invest the tens of millions needed for genuine, sustainable growth. Alternatively, faceless corporations more interested in hotels and ice rinks than TUFC.

What's happening presently is awfully reminiscent of the last days of the Bateson era. We all remember how that ended. Those who do not learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"