Rovers fan in piece

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Don't think 5 yellow cards makes any difference after November. I think he now has to reach 10.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Lee Mansell for me is a true professional footballer and earned my respect long ago.

If every pro footballer behaved like Lee the game would enjoy a better reputation.

Always gave, and still gives 100%
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

portugull wrote:Lee Mansell for me is a true professional footballer and earned my respect long ago.

If every pro footballer behaved like Lee the game would enjoy a better reputation.

Always gave, and still gives 100%
He turned down our offer and went to our nearest Conference rivals. On 26/12 he is pantomime villain at best, Judas at worst. He'll probably score, as I believe 30/11 cut-off for 5 bookings suspension is right.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

friendlygas wrote:Don't think 5 yellow cards makes any difference after November. I think he now has to reach 10.
Out of interest, Friendlygas, how did referee Brett Huxtable 'perform' at your Gateshead game? He's referee'd two games at Plainmoor so far this season and he's been dreadful on both occasions to both teams.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Rjc70 wrote: He turned down our offer and went to our nearest Conference rivals. On 26/12 he is pantomime villain at best, Judas at worst. He'll probably score, as I believe 30/11 cut-off for 5 bookings suspension is right.
Judas??

Come on Rob, I know you dislike the guy, but he was offered a pittance to stay here. A token amount in fact.

He served this club well and deserves a good reception for that. I have nothing but thanks for a guy who, limited in skill though he was, would do almost anything for the team when he put on the shirt.

I don't begrudge him leaving. I love the company I work for, but if another company came in and said that they were interested in taking me on, doing the same job as I currently do so, for a load more money, I'd say thanks for the memories and leave straight away - I, like Lee, have a young family to think about and bills to pay. As a footballer especially.money talks and a career as short lived as theirs, they need to take what they can get.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Tomogull,
He was bloody awful. We have had him a couple of times and he is very consistent...consistertly bad. Won't be at all disappointed to never see him again but really hope we can get out of this League at first attempt just so we don't have any of these officials. They are 90% terrible!!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Scott you are on the button. The offer to Lee Mansell was derisory so he had no choice but to accept a much better offer. Remember Rjc70 he is coming towards the end of his career.

I am confident Plainmoor WILL give him a good reception.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

portugull wrote:Scott you are on the button. The offer to Lee Mansell was derisory so he had no choice but to accept a much better offer. Remember Rjc70 he is coming towards the end of his career.

I am confident Plainmoor WILL give him a good reception.
Am sure it will. Alright, panto villain, then. Can see his muted goal celebration whilst barely containing himself already. Boooo. ;-)
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Judas??

Come on Rob, I know you dislike the guy, but he was offered a pittance to stay here. A token amount in fact.

He served this club well and deserves a good reception for that. I have nothing but thanks for a guy who, limited in skill though he was, would do almost anything for the team when he put on the shirt.

I don't begrudge him leaving. I love the company I work for, but if another company came in and said that they were interested in taking me on, doing the same job as I currently do so, for a load more money, I'd say thanks for the memories and leave straight away - I, like Lee, have a young family to think about and bills to pay. As a footballer especially.money talks and a career as short lived as theirs, they need to take what they can get.

Sorry Scott. I really do have to disagree with you there. To say that have a very short career is to glaze over the fact that in 15 to 17 years they can and mostly do get far mare than most of us mere mortals. even if you look at the basic that he got as around £1500 a week. there were bonus's on top so he wasnt far off £2000 a week. and there are still one or two on that in the club now. Now how much does that equal in a year. z minumum of £80,000 a year. Against a national average of £27 or so a year I would say he has managed to get far more over his career already than I could and most on here could. But the main bone of contention is the assumption that once they retire they dont have a job again. rubbish. they just have to come down to earth and get a real job. like the rest of us. Now I dont beggrudge many of the lower paid footballers a wage. but I do begrudge players always bleating that they get a pittance when they are getting (i hesitate to say earn) a huge wage in comparison to everyone else. As they are heard to say on many occasions. its a privilege to have a career as a footballer. Why. beucase you have an easy life compared to Nurses. an easy life compared to a motorway maintenance man. and easy life compared to a dustman, bus driver. shop worker. etc. who all in their whole lives even allowing for increases in salary will earn no more than £175,000 over a 50 year career. compare that to a footballer like Lee who will get up to £1,000,000 during his career in football, with most getting at least £500,000 and then still be able to get a job for the next 30 years. its not as if they can get a job for those 30 years, is it? they are privileged for a good reason.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Rjc70 »

Oh, alright. Judas it is, Gloucester ;-)
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Chance Mansell might miss at least one of the games against us as his wife is due to give birth on 3rd January; a few days early would be good Mrs M!