FA Trophy

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Would you like Torquay United to take the FA Trophy seriously?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 40

Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

FA Trophy

Post by Colorado Gull »

It's a way away yet, not until Saturday 13th December, but would you like us to take the FA Trophy seriously?

Yes or No.

Vote and discuss.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I would like to think we would treat the FA trophy like Prem teams treat the Capital One Cup. Play the youngersters and fringe players and if we get through (three rounds say) then treat it as a serious cup.
Last edited by Richinns on 07 Oct 2014, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Take it seriously, the winning habit is hard to get out of . York City conference play-off winners and F.A trophy winners 2011-12, Cambridge United conference play-off winners and F.A trophy winners 2013-14.

Why should anyone at TUFC believe differently, why should we think our club can not go on and win both.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I think people seriously under value the trophy. If you win the thing, you clear £92,000 in prize money alone, before you even start talking about gate receipts. You woukd have to think that a successful trophy campaign would pay for 3 players on one year contracts next year. Even if you lose in the final you would get £67,000.

Getting to the final is well within our capabilities so this money is easily attainable. However say we get to the third round and lose. That's £11,000 in prize money + gate receipts. That, my friends, is a very decent loan player for the last 3 months of the season. The difference between staying down and going up, potentially.

Plus, we are Torquay United. We have Never, in all our proud history, won a national competition. Why wouldn't we want to?
sam_
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Angus MacDonald

Post by sam_ »

Take it seriously, would do anything to get to the big Wembley final, being as we'll win the league, so we won't be there for the play-offs :whistle: :rofl: :scarf:
We'll be back...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

For me, it's free money. I couldn't care less about the title or the trophy, it's Mickey Mouse in the extreme, but, earning, say, £150,000 for winning half a dozen games against the Dog and Duck has got to be a no-brainer. If this was about the FA Cup, a trophy we won't ever win, we'd all be laughing at the OP, telling him that we'd be mad not to take it seriously. Yet, we get the same out of the Trophy as we do out of the Cup, but the Trophy is much easier. For me, we should sack off the FA Cup and pour our efforts into winning the Trophy. It'll get us more cash and, in our position, it's cash we need.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I would be happy to see us treat it like we did in our second (and ultimately promotion winning) season in the Conference. We have a large enough squad to cope with a few extra games, and also a few players who could do with a game. Players like Pearce, Harding, Chapell and Yeoman/Benyon could get a chance to steak a claim. Reaching the semi-finals moves two Saturday games to a midweek, which really does add the workload at the crucial stage of the season.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Gulliball wrote:I would be happy to see us treat it like we did in our second (and ultimately promotion winning) season in the Conference. We have a large enough squad to cope with a few extra games, and also a few players who could do with a game. Players like Pearce, Harding, Chapell and Yeoman/Benyon could get a chance to steak a claim. Reaching the semi-finals moves two Saturday games to a midweek, which really does add the workload at the crucial stage of the season.

Oh God, here come the puns...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We will find out how seriously CH is going to take this competition by the strength of the squad he puts out.

Supporting Torquay is like being on a Roller Coater ride, one minute your down and the next your at Wembly!
Last edited by kevgull on 07 Oct 2014, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote: Oh God, here come the puns...
Matt.
That wasn't a pun, that was an error, a misspelling, which can happen to the best of us (myself apart).

A pun is the use of a word or phrase to exploit an ambiguity or innuendo in the meaning, usually for humorous effect, i.e. a play on words, whereas a misspelling often used to record the minutes at our bored meetings..

A good example is: ' Ben Battle was a soldier bold, and used to war's alarms; But a cannon ball took off his legs, so he laid down his arms.'

But of course you knew that already.. ;-)
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I'd like to us taking it seriously, a day out at Wembley would be great and the prize money (even if we only got to the third round or so) for us would be most welcome
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

FA Cup is very good money too-so we need a run in that as well.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Burger off.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

It is a shame, IMO, how ex-football league teams in the conference have de-valued the FA Trophy. It used to be a massive event in the non league calender, but now most of the top 10 conference teams will play weakened sides.

I remember when, before the days of automatic promotion to the Conference, this was a big tournament with high crowds. The finalist's not only getting a chance to play at Wembley, but also won a bye to the 1st Round Proper of the FA CUP the next season.