Best goals seen at PLAINMOOR

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Best goals seen at PLAINMOOR

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

After Luke Young scored that amazing strike today... has there been any better?

I can suggest some other brilliant goals, none as good though.

*Eunan O'kane 40 yarder v argyle 2011/2012
*David Graham volley in top corner in 2003/4 v darlington
*Rodney Jack run and strike v peterborough 97/98
*Richard Hancox overhead v cardiff 94/95?
*Lee Thorpe overhead v stockport 06/07?
*Paul Gibbs last second screamer v orient 97/98
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I reckon Eunan's goal was better. He got the ball about 40 yds out, looked up and spotted Larrieu off his line and unleashed a shot that looped up over the keeper and in to the top left hand corner. I was directly behind the goal and saw the intention as well as the final execution. Perfection ...... and it was against Argyle!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

My favourite ever Plainmoor goal is Steve McCall's goal against Scarborough in the playoffs in 1998- and you can find it on youtube. He puts it right in the postage stamp and the keeper gets absolutely nowhere near it. I've already come to terms with the fact that i'll never see a night like that at Plainmoor ever again. Magical.

I remember Gibbs' goal mentioned, the bright spot in a really dull match. That season Gurney and Gibbs scored about 15 between them and I remember Gurney scoring from distance against Shrewsbury right at the start of our 8 game winning run.

You could pick any number of David Graham's goals, not just a great goalscorer but a scorer of great goals. The one I remember most clearly was, I think, against Bury, a first time volley from over his shoulder from a really acute angle which lobbed the goalkeeper, it was a delicate and sumptuous moment of craftsmanship from the man I still consider the best marksman I have seen.

Eunan's goal against Argyle is a classic, a moment of genius and I would also include Nicho's last gasp strike against Barnet from the same season- if just for the theatre of it.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Kevin Hill's overhead kick is one of the best, his back was above everyone's head, what a leap, what a goal.

Nicholson's 90th minute screamer into the top corner, another beauty.

We've had a few wonder goals this season! I'll always remember the one where the ball was near our penalty area and ended up in the back of the net on the other end of the pitch. Ajala - Ofori - Bowman - goal.

We've already had a sensational goal by Luke Young, but the one today was just unbelievable. If Di Maria scored that very same goal, the media would be going on about it for weeks.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Kevin Hill's overhead kick is one of the best, his back was above everyone's head, what a leap, what a goal.

Nicholson's 90th minute screamer into the top corner, another beauty.

We've had a few wonder goals this season! I'll always remember the one where the ball was near our penalty area and ended up in the back of the net on the other end of the pitch. Ajala - Ofori - Bowman - goal.

We've already had a sensational goal by Luke Young, but the one today was just unbelievable. If Di Maria scored that very same goal, the media would be going on about it for weeks.
I'm not trying to be a pedant here, but do you mean the Young goal v Nuneaton? If so, that was superb as well and even though they were different types of goals, for me, today and that one are hard to seperate.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A Realist wrote:I'm not trying to be a pedant here, but do you mean the Young goal v Nuneaton? If so, that was superb as well and even though they were different types of goals, for me, today and that one are hard to seperate.

It might have been Young who scored the goal I'm on about, can't remember.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:
It might have been Young who scored the goal I'm on about, can't remember.
It was if thats the one you mean. Ajala played a long ball out of the box to DOA who skinned the defender and put it into the area where Young had ran the length of the field and heel flicked it in. Great goal.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Paul Smith vs Southend 87-88 season
Rodney Jack vs Scarborough in the playoff semi final
Lee Thorpe's overhead kick vs Stockport 05-06 season

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Any goal by Robin; especially his FIVE against Newport County when we won 8-3.
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

I was also gonna suggest Rodney Jacks strike into the top corner versus Peterborough in 98.
Gary Clayton scored an excellent free kick in the same match I think.
How about Danny Stevens' run and shot against burton, last time we were in the conference?
I remember David Graham curling one into the top corner with the outside of his boot against Bournemouth in the league cup, at the turn of the century.
I think the best one was Lee Thorpe versus Stockport though. Strange ol' player he was.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

I would go with Bengull and say Steve McCall in the play-off game against Scarborough, although over 51 years I have seen many spectacular goals a lot of which have been mentioned by other posters.

During the last half century the most spectacular goals by a single player would surely have to be Robin Stubbs, as mentioned by wivel.

....and I have no doubt as to the most memorable goals albeit they were both flukes! Robin again ... 9 January 1965 his two goals in the last five minutes to claw us back to 3-3 against a Tottenham Hotspur team in which every player was an international.

Unfortunately I was not born early enough to remember Sammy Collins, but as he was known to bang in 40 goals in a season I bet there were a few spectacular ones amongst them ... and with a dead weight ball tied together with laces!!

That Luke Young is some find mind. As young as our team is with the spirit at the club undoubtedly influenced by Mr Hargreaves and Mr Hodges we should believe we have a very real chance of promotion this season. There will be blips along the way like Telford and FGR, but to come back from that in such style from 1-0 down against a Wrexham team who have already won away to Barnet and FGR, certainly has given me belief that the impossible is possible.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Darren Garner v Lincoln

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Not the best and not at plainmoor but Tim Sills at Wembley v's CU fc. Great cross, on the money and the header was controlled and powerful and a peach. Also considering the importance of the game. Didnt lee sharpe do a scorcher at the Babbacombe end?
TUST MEMBER
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Alex Russell vs Tranmere during the season in League One under Leroy when he lost his balance in the penalty area and fell over, but he still managed to flick the ball with outside of his boot and into the top corner.

Steve McCall's goal vs Scarborough was also special, as was Hilly's against Exeter in the Play-Off semi-final- just a shame about the rest of that match!

Away from Plainmoor, David Graham's 40-yarder against Bournemouth in the League Cup at Dorchester, and Mick O'Brien's free-kick against QPR deserve a mention.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I've moved this comment from the match thread as it is more relevant here:

Robin Stubbs with a belter away at Luton back in the 60's, we still lost that one 3-2. And what about Mickey Cave's thunderbolt to win 1-0 at Aston Villa - surely one of our most memorable results as well?

Les Lawrence once scored one from about a mile out (o.k I'm looking through rose tinted glasses) at the Babbacombe end and, more recently, David Graham scored with a delightful volley on the turn at the Ellacombe end. I can't remember the opposition in those matches but others will, no doubt.

Finally, how about that Rene Howe curler in our 4-2 win at Burton a couple of seasons ago?