The Gulls v Gateshead (away) 9 August 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

The Gulls v Gateshead (away) 9 August 2014

Post by Scott Brehaut »

So, the first match of the season is almost upon us. The one day of the year where everybody starts with the same amount of points and, usually misguided, expectation.

I have little clue about our opponents, other than to say that they are very much up north and that my congratulations and adulation go to those making this huge trip.

Most of us will know that they finished third in this division last season, and lost the playoffs to Cambridge - since that defeat they have added nine players and so a very different team that ended the season, will start the new.

Expectations amongst their supporters will be high and I'm sure they will be looking to go one better than they did last season.

As for the mighty Gulls, well it seems that there is a mixture of predictions amongst the faithful Gulls followers - those eternal optimists who will be looking for us to bounce straight back at the first time of asking - others who will be happy with a season of consolidation and finishing in or around the playoffs - and those who are convinced that we will be fighting off relegation and, probably, the inevitable death of our beloved club.

There are many unknowns for us Gulls supporters, that's for sure. How will Greavsie cope in his first full season as manager? How will the new signings manage? Will Martin Rice stand up to the challenge of being number one? Will we ever get decent full backs? Will Hawley ever p*ss off?!

Regardless of what happens this season, and there will be many twists and turns, I'm just excited to have the new campaign just around the corner. Saturday's result won't be the be all and end all of the season, but will give us some idea of how we will be playing, and whether we will be force to be reckoned with or not!!

So, the new season starts.

Forget last season.

Let's start afresh.

New season.

New start.

New expectations.

New team.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I've done my own preview on the main site.

http://www.torquayfans.com/2014/gateshe ... -2014-3pm/
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gateshead were members of the Football League until 1960, when they were replaced by Peterborough. And now a resurgent Gateshead will be making another powerful bid to get back into the League. This will be one of our toughest games of the season, but I'm confident it will be tough for them too. I'll be happy with a draw.

Here's a view from a Gateshead perspective: http://www.gateshead-fc.com/4988/bring- ... new-season
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'm pretty sure everyone at Torquay United will not be ignorant regarding how difficult this division will be. Gateshead will prove stern opponents. I'd be quite happy a draw from this quite honestly. Doing the journey from Littlehampton to Gateshead in a day so hopefully the performance & result will be a positive one and worth the distance travelled.

Looking forward to meeting some of you again, new era, new divison, new team. Let's get the season started!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Gutted I wont be able to make the game tomorrow, but I'd have just got back from holiday! Usually I miss the first few games, so I guess it's not too bad.

COYY! Buzzing for the new season.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Surprised to see on betfair that Gateshead are red hot favourites for this one with the price for a Torquay win as high as 3.8. That equates to Torquay having a 26.31% chance of winning the game. That percentage chance looks a little on the low side to me so the value certainly seems to be with the away win.
With Gateshead being priced @ 2.16 (46.29% chance of winning the game) - I guess that this is a reaction to them going close to promotion last time out.
Without Pearce I am worried by our defence - Rice in goal and Downes from reports doesn't appear to have been up to speed in friendlies. Then theres the full backs (oh dear!) however hopefully going forward we do appear to have more ammo than last season.
Gateshead have a shed load of new players but guess that they are playing at this level for a reason.
So based on the fact that Gateshead look short 2.16 I am going for a lay on them keeping the draw on my side.
Will go for a 3-3 draw.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Reading comments on some of the other footie forums, it looks as though we don't have a chance tomorrow. However, being the optimist that I am, I think we'll nick this one 2:1 (Bowman and Briscoe).

Respect to all who are making the epic journey tomorrow. Hopefully a cracking performance and win will make the return journey much easier.

Come on you YELLOWS. :scarf:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

brucie wrote:Surprised to see on betfair that Gateshead are red hot favourites for this one with the price for a Torquay win as high as 3.8. That equates to Torquay having a 26.31% chance of winning the game. That percentage chance looks a little on the low side to me so the value certainly seems to be with the away win.
With Gateshead being priced @ 2.16 (46.29% chance of winning the game) - I guess that this is a reaction to them going close to promotion last time out.
Without Pearce I am worried by our defence - Rice in goal and Downes from reports doesn't appear to have been up to speed in friendlies. Then theres the full backs (oh dear!) however hopefully going forward we do appear to have more ammo than last season.
Gateshead have a shed load of new players but guess that they are playing at this level for a reason.
So based on the fact that Gateshead look short 2.16 I am going for a lay on them keeping the draw on my side.
Will go for a 3-3 draw.

Love it. You say your surprised we are underdogs for this match(5-2) for away win, yet you then slate the keeper and defence. So that's probably why we are 5-2 for win and start as underdogs.
Lucy
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i miss andy! sigh!
still keeping the faith
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

This is a tough opening fixture and the longest trip of the season. Still, best to get it out of the way early, eh? I reckon that if we come away with a draw, that will be a very good result. But I'm not over hopeful. I'm more hopeful for six points from our two home games next week, though! Here we go again - the excitement of a new season. Good luck to Chris, Lee and the lads. :scarf:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

bixieupnorth wrote:i miss andy! sigh!
Sorry that my OP was nowhere near Andy's, but I have tried to at least get a thread up, which is more than anybody else has bothered to do.

More than happy for somebody to continue on with this for the rest of the season - otherwise you'll pretty much get what you got today, because frankly I've not got the time to even think about compiling war and peace every six days or so - and I'm not sure that there are enough people on here to appreciate the efforts either.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Sorry that my OP was nowhere near Andy's, but I have tried to at least get a thread up, which is more than anybody else has bothered to do.

More than happy for somebody to continue on with this for the rest of the season - otherwise you'll pretty much get what you got today, because frankly I've not got the time to even think about compiling war and peace every six days or so - and I'm not sure that there are enough people on here to appreciate the efforts either.
It's absolutely fine Scott so carry on as it is.

I would much rather have the match day thread started by a Torquay United supporter .... ;-)
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

oooh Stefano!!!!But thanks Scott for bothering ! I wouldn't know where to start, & it's a thankless task ! Here's my take on it : Gateshead is a long way away & I don't know who their players are !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Does anyone know how many booked the official coach.
Lucy
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

Lucy, I phoned Steve last night and he said they are fully booked, so a few.

To the game, I honestly have no idea, Gateshead, along with a few other teams have (like us) have bought in many players. I think we will be relatively competitive, we have a stronger squad this year.

Fingers crossed and COYY