Duane O'achie

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Duane O'achie

Post by gullintwoplaces »

It seems we are about to sign him:

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

Haven't seen him play, so all I can say is welcome Duane.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

A target man who might be seen as back-up to Bowman but could also be played up top with him.

Will be interesting to see how he goes and gives us other options which is great.

Need to sort out the LB spot and still think we are still light a central mid but might have to utilise the loan market as and when it is needed.

We are also a bit top heavy:
FW: Ashley Yeoman
FW: Danny Sullivan
FW: Elliot Benyon
FW: Karl Hawley
FW: Ryan Bowman
FW: Duane O'achie

Hopefully we might (somehow!) be able to move one or two of the unwanted players on!
Last edited by Richinns on 28 Jul 2014, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Does this mean Hawley and Benyon are on their way out?

We do seem to have quite a few in the squad now and to be fair I would like to see 2 new fullbacks because at this point that is what we need desperately, surely.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

chunkygull wrote:Does this mean Hawley and Benyon are on their way out?

We do seem to have quite a few in the squad now and to be fair I would like to see 2 new fullbacks because at this point that is what we need desperately, surely.
I looks to me like Tonge and (yet to be confirmed as signed) Cruise will occupy these positions with Ives and Thompson/MacDonald as back-ups. I suspect we will only recruit (due to budget constraints) if we offload Tonge or/and do not sign Cruise.
TUST member 328
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Welcome Duane. That helps our lack of strength and height mentioned on another thread (if he's any good that is).
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Well he certainly looks solid in the HE photo.
TUST number 080
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, I'll have to trust Chris on this one. He wouldn't necessarily have been on my list, but then, I've only seen him a couple times. Good luck to the boy.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Richinns wrote: I looks to me like Tonge and (yet to be confirmed as signed) Cruise will occupy these positions with Ives and Thompson/MacDonald as back-ups. I suspect we will only recruit (due to budget constraints) if we offload Tonge or/and do not sign Cruise.

Christ, we cant surely continue with these 2 another season, please dont tell me we have to sign Cruise again because we cant get anyone better. A big part of how crap we were last season was how bad the fullbacks were, and we are about to do it again with 2 of the same ones. What is that expression I have read on here a few times lately about pennywise and pound foolish. :no:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not seen any of the PSF's, but am a little surprised by the signing of O'Achie. The reviews have been mixed and - at the age of 21 - its strange that he has a very limited pedigree. A quick google search shows some talk of him being at Southend some 4-years ago but very little else. But then, sometimes these players come out from nowhere and be a success so perhaps it is our turn this year to strike gold.

With regards to the full backs, it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 10 days. As we are at the end of pre-season, some players will have tried their luck further up the pyramid, been unsuccessful and suddenly find themselves without a club. Perhaps people who wouldn't have looked twice at Torquay a month ago as they had a better trial lined up may now suddenly be interested as otherwise they face time out of the game without a wage coming in.

Similarly, some higher clubs prefer their young players to do a pre-season with the parent club before being farmed out on loan. Perhaps CH has been working on this, and we might see some movement next week. For me, full back is one of the places where you can take a gamble on a younger player, so lets see how it pans out
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

:goodpost:
Lucy
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

As Albert Einstein once said;

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I suppose we'll have to wait to see whether Einstein was right.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

cambgull wrote:As Albert Einstein once said;

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I suppose we'll have to wait to see whether Einstein was right.
Explain?

How is CH doing the same things as last year?
TUST member 328
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

With the fullbacks.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Ahhh - makes more sense. We are a bit top heavy but this is where we were weakest last year. Perhaps he had to target areas of the team as he does not have the budget for a complete overhaul (especially if he cannot move any of the listed players on).

On paper Tonge and Cruise should be above non-league level although last year proved this not to be the case.

Cruise also not confirmed as a contracted player yet - perhaps there is still time for change for the LB spot? (would think loans would now be looked at after their parent clubs have had them for pre-season).
TUST member 328
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I'll reserve judgement until I see him against Lincoln.

Must be doing something right to be offered a contract..