A lot to look forward to?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

A lot to look forward to?

Post by Richinns »

Today hurts.......it **** hurts......

but....it has been our reality for a while now....

For weeks now I have thought about next year. I have thought about our squad of players. I have thought about our management team. I have thought about the club finances.

Today has been a shit day. A day which will be recorded as one of the worst in our history.

Not for me.

Today was a day of hope. A day of positivity.

We have been down for a while now. We have all known it. The biggest worry is we were going without a whimper. We would be down with 4 games to play. Total embarrassment.

.....but there has been fight. There has been signs of hope from the darkness.

I honestly think we have a management team who not only have the potential for a fight for league resurrection, but in Hargreaves we have as man who cares as much as one of us.

I believe this is a man who will give youth the chance. Give the future of our club a chance. Yeoman may not be the best footballer in the world but was Kevin Phillips?, was Jamie Cureton? No - but they had managers who realised that goals mean points.

May be Hargreaves is not as scared as previous managers to give him (and others) the chance to show this? May be he is brave enough to make decisions for the best of TUFC and not for the best of the next game or his immediate reputation as a manager?

Yes non-league sucks. Yes today hurts...........but tomorrow is another day.

In the Hargreaves way, brighter days might just be ahead. The road will not be easy and it has many difficult twist and turns, but after the last two games it is my honest belief that we have the right man (and he has the right mind-set) to find our way back to the football league light in which we deserve to bask in.

Wycombe may be a wake, but perhaps in can be a celebration of what we are leaving behind and what we aspire to return to.

Today, I have never been prouder to have a heart which belongs to Torquay United Football Club.

COYY.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

This :goodpost:

COYY
:scarf:
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Cameron wants to stay so that's something to look forward too for me. He has a great amount of potential and I certainly think he will be a key player for us next season.

Going down won't stop me going to games, Aldershot, Woking, Eastleigh, Salisbury, just a few local games I will be looking to attend. I'll still be at Plainmoor for when I'm down in the area, I'll still wear my shirt with pride, I'll still enjoy the great support we have. Plus we might get a few TV games too.

And we may win a few games in the process. Today was something that has been in the works for months now, the fact we stayed alive until the penultimate week of the season still amazes me.

Let's rebuild, see what Hargreaves can do and let's do what we do best as supporters, support the club we love so much.

We will be back..
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I was trying to find the most appropriate thread to post on - this seems to be the best one.

The one positive to come out of the last couple of weeks is that Hargreaves has finally found a winning "formula". It took too long, and the constant tinkering hurt us at times but now CH has a system that can win games and compete.

Now he knows what that is, he can build a team around that style and system. If he still hadn't worked that out, we ran the risk of a scattergun approach to summer signing a host of players that don't blend well together (something that could be labelled at the team Knill put together).

CH came in with no experience, but it does seem we are getting somewhere now. It's now down to him to build a team - with the reduced budget - that fits that system and gives us results next year.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Good post Richinns and I'm in. Knill has failed and Hargreaves has failed no matter what anyone says IMO but Hargreaves now has a chance to succeed and I've seen flickers today that all maybe is not lost next season. I'm still not 100% convinced but I will get behind him next season and see what he can offer us. That's all I can say on this. I just hope he loses the old guard and players who just cannot cut it otherwise it could be a huge error. Time will tell. I'd add Cameron to Rice, Pearce, Yeoman and perhaps Downes and O'Connor to those I'd like to see next season. Everyone else must go if possible.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Sadly relegation but I believe better times lie ahead. For me CH is the right man for the job. Given time he'll lead us back.
Torquay United will return to the Football League.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

WE'RE GOING DOWN! WHO GIVES A ****! WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED AND WE'RE COMING BACK UP!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:WE'RE GOING DOWN! WHO GIVES A f***! WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED AND WE'RE COMING BACK UP!!
:goodpost: we r going up
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Good post Richinns and I'm in. Knill has failed and Hargreaves has failed no matter what anyone says IMO but Hargreaves now has a chance to succeed and I've seen flickers today that all maybe is not lost next season. I'm still not 100% convinced but I will get behind him next season and see what he can offer us. That's all I can say on this. I just hope he loses the old guard and players who just cannot cut it otherwise it could be a huge error. Time will tell. I'd add Cameron to Rice, Pearce, Yeoman and perhaps Downes and O'Connor to those I'd like to see next season. Everyone else must go if possible.
I'll give CH a chance - until Xmas.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Back when we lost at home to Northampton I sort of knew the game was up. Today was a bit like the spirit leaving the body for the last time. A sort of happy release, as my late mum used to put it, after the death of a loved one who had been ill for a long time. So when it became apparent that Northampton were going to get themselves out of the bottom two by beating Daggers and that we were, indeed, going down it felt something like that in my opinion. I smiled and the wife said "you aren't going to throw things around and swear your head off ?" No point I said. I can't change a damn thing. And that's just it. As supporters we can only choose to go and support or not to.

Perhaps the Conference is our level. Perhaps we may never return to the football league again. Perhaps we may actually enjoy ourselves a little and achieve a modicum of success in the FA Trophy, have players in the England C setup and some good FA cup runs, who knows?. We must surely win more games in a season next season than we did this, or is that too much to hope for? If the style of play is attacking and attractive with a proven conference standard striker signing on then the attendances will surely rise and confidence will return.

Without hope there is nothing so here's hoping for a brighter day at Plainmoor because I don't have anywhere else to go.
COYYSSSSSSS
Oblivion!!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

oxgull wrote:Back when we lost at home to Northampton I sort of knew the game was up. Today was a bit like the spirit leaving the body for the last time. A sort of happy release, as my late mum used to put it, after the death of a loved one who had been ill for a long time. So when it became apparent that Northampton were going to get themselves out of the bottom two by beating Daggers and that we were, indeed, going down it felt something like that in my opinion. I smiled and the wife said "you aren't going to throw things around and swear your head off ?" No point I said. I can't change a damn thing. And that's just it. As supporters we can only choose to go and support or not to.

Perhaps the Conference is our level. Perhaps we may never return to the football league again. Perhaps we may actually enjoy ourselves a little and achieve a modicum of success in the FA Trophy, have players in the England C setup and some good FA cup runs, who knows?. We must surely win more games in a season next season than we did this, or is that too much to hope for? If the style of play is attacking and attractive with a proven conference standard striker signing on then the attendances will surely rise and confidence will return.

Without hope there is nothing so here's hoping for a brighter day at Plainmoor because I don't have anywhere else to go.
COYYSSSSSSS
maybe it is.

i would love to hear from those posters right now who scoffed at my wish for us to have 20yrs continuous league 2 football......

we took the p155 our of accres during this season, but guess what - they are taking the p155 out of us right now.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

SuperNickyWroe wrote: maybe it is.

:Oops: :na:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
:Oops: :na:
ha, the first plank to bite.............. :rofl:

TUST Member 468

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
I'll give CH a chance - until Xmas.
I think this is fair.

AK had the same amount of time (probably too long). If we're languishing near the bottom in December then it's thanks Chris, but no thanks.

Don't think we will though. Just got a feeling we'll do well next season

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I agree but I also want to see football that appears to be 'going somewhere'.