Never Give Up.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Never Give Up.

Post by portugull »

I am amazed that so many fans have given up all hope.

If, and I know it is a huge if, we take 12 points from the next 6 games all this month we could still figure in a dramatic final 6 games ending at home to Wycombe on May 3rd.

History is littered with great escapes. Our Home record is shocking we cannot score but we cannot give up without a fight.

Exeter are in freefall and we still have to visit them. Please do not give up hope. We are not good BUT we are not being thrashed by anyone other than Hartlepool away.

We will probably know our fate by 29th March but in the meantime keep the faith.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Nice sentiment. The team is averaging 0.88 points per game = 40 points from 46 games and relegation, face facts we have to win 8 of our 12 games, at an average of just over 1.9 points per game, we've had our great escapes, can be done, in this case, a flight of fancy.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Quite simply we ARE the worst team in this god awful league, we are where we deserve to be. We are conference bound and the sooner people accept that the better.

Time for Greavsie to start focusing on what he will need next year in the Conference, which means forgetting the loanees (O'Connor and Showumni) as they are other teams players, forget those that won't be here next season (Labadoe and Cooper) and put the focus on those that are ou of contract in the summer and on whom decisions must be made.

I would start by recalling Craig, Yeoman and Thompson and at least have a closer look at them. I would also consider making some of those under contract next year but who are unlikely to be in the Manager's plans, available for loan .... you can take your pick from half a dozen or so as to who that might apply.

We are saddled with the wages of quite a few high earners for next year already with the likes of Pearce, Downes, Harding, Benyon and Hawley which means that anyone who is out of contract will either be released or offer seriously reduced wages. With that in mind, I would expect the likes of Poke and Bodin to move on and you would expect that Mansell and Nicholson will probably be released ... we simply will not be able to afford them, whether they are even deserving of another contract is of course another matter.
Last edited by CP Gull on 08 Mar 2014, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

sorry portugull.

we will know our sad fate long before the end of this month.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

This is just the thing. We're not the worst side in the division, not by a long way. We're one striker short. We're no worse than almost any other side in L2, but we can't hit a cow's arse. That's what's cost us our league status. If we get Reid on loan instead of his going to Plymouth, we are in the Playoffs.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

It would probably need 8 wins from 12 games.
Not totally impossible but hardly likely for a team that's only won 7 all season.
If we were to beat Rochdale & Cheltenham, then with Bury at home the next game, and still Exeter, Mansfield & Wycombe to play, things would look a bit different.
It seems that effort and possesion aren't the problem, just a bit of luck and most of all the ability to put the ball in the net.
If like most fans, the team have given up, then we have no hope at all.
If they make one more supreme effort and beat Rochdale on Tuesday then perhaps that could be the start of a run.
Staying up is very much a long shot now but I don't think it's right to give up all hope yet. As I say, two wins this week, however unlikely that seems, would bring us back into the fight.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

We have taken 1 point from the last 6 games, How do you think we are going to suddenly find 12 points from the next 6 games ?

Add into the mix, that the side with the next poorest run of form is 10 points in front of us, and the other sides in the mix have all found the ability to start winning. In 6 games time, with current form, we will already be relegated.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:This is just the thing. We're not the worst side in the division, not by a long way. We're one striker short. We're no worse than almost any other side in L2, but we can't hit a cow's arse. That's what's cost us our league status. If we get Reid on loan instead of his going to Plymouth, we are in the Playoffs.

Matt.
We are the worst team in this league. By a mile.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

I won't give up till it's mathematically impossible we just hve to start scoring, could it happen?

It's football you just never know!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Be lucky to get 1300 on Tuesday night. Greeks play Northampton at Sid James and if they lose that a" Devon double" will look increasingly likely. Neither they or us can win at home and if you can't do that ,you're in big trouble.A win would do wonders for morale but Rochdale are far better than Fleetwood imo,and its hard to see how we will get anything-yet again,
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote:This is just the thing. We're not the worst side in the division, not by a long way. We're one striker short. We're no worse than almost any other side in L2, but we can't hit a cow's arse. That's what's cost us our league status. If we get Reid on loan instead of his going to Plymouth, we are in the Playoffs.

Matt.
and for one that reason we actually are.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:I won't give up till it's mathematically impossible we just hve to start scoring, could it happen?

It's football you just never know!
oh dont worry we will.

from August 2014 when we are playing conference football.

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

There have been times when we have played Saturday-Tuesday at home and won both games. Two wins in a week. Can you imagine that? Actually winning, for one, and winning twice in three days.

We have won twice in almost ELEVEN MONTHS at home. Unbelievable, really.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I don’t think we will stay up. I think it’s very unlikely partly from the simply mathematical situation but mainly because we can’t score goals. But it is possible and a change to good rather than bad fortune might help us to wins in the next two matches, then things would start to look different. We need a run and games are fast running out but it could be done.

With Torquay though you never know.

I’ve seen us win or draw to stay up on the last day against Crewe, Barnet, Boston & Bristol Rovers. – all in seasons where we looked to be heading out the league. I’ve seen an unlikely promotion at Southend, a last day relegation from League One where we seemed doomed a few weeks earlier, fought back to get it into our own hands, then threw it away at Colchester. We’ve thrown away promotion as many times as we’ve escaped from relegation. We’ve got to Wembley more times than most Premier League teams but only won twice. We’ve played superbly in play offs and we’ve thrown them away (Exeter being the worst). We’ve been kept saved by a technicality over Stevenage’s ground and a police dog.

Clearly it is long odds on that we’ll be in the Conference next year and worryingly that is a league that’s increasingly hard to get out of. I’ve only been to three games this season and quite understand that those who go regularly can judge far better how good or bad the team is. I don’t dispute that but while there is still some hope I’m not giving up.

And by the way I haven’t seen us lose this season – wins at Dagenham & Wimbledon and draw with Plymouth. I’m going to Cheltenham and if we start winning will do most if not all the remaining always. Sadly it is far more likely that Cheltenham will be the day that even the most optimistic of us have to finally give up any hope.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

portugull wrote:I am amazed that so many fans have given up all hope.

If, and I know it is a huge if, we take 12 points from the next 6 games all this month we could still figure in a dramatic final 6 games ending at home to Wycombe on May 3rd.

History is littered with great escapes. Our Home record is shocking we cannot score but we cannot give up without a fight.

Exeter are in freefall and we still have to visit them. Please do not give up hope. We are not good BUT we are not being thrashed by anyone other than Hartlepool away.

We will probably know our fate by 29th March but in the meantime keep the faith.
Either you have drunk 12 bottles of port or downed 60 jäger bombs, to believe we are staying up. Seriously get real.
Lucy