Burton Match-day Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Burton Match-day Thread

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Tuesday is a massive game to keep the hope alive!

Weather;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635650

not looking too bad, if the showers are light we should have game on, maybe a good thing to put Saturday out of the minds!

other fixtures

Exeter v Wycombe
Portsmouth v Accrington
Northampton v Southend
Mansfield v Bury

Unfortunately you can see Northampton winning, hopefully a win for Exeter and us, draws elsewhere and the picture isn't so bleak!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Southend haven't lost a match since the late 18th Century, so it's nailed on that they'll roll over and die against a woeful AC side.

Exeter genuinely couldn't beat an egg at home (their last win at Sid James' was October 5th, if memory serves), so Wycombe will turn them over about 6-0.

You know exactly what'll happen against Burton. If they play at 2/10, we'll play at 0.5/10 and get beaten. If they play at 10/10, we'll stick in an 8/10 and get beaten by a lucky deflection in the 88th minute. When the oppo are brilliant, we're merely very good. When the opposition are very shit, we are extremely shit, which is why we are going down. Paul Cook described us as "the best side he'd seen". We lost 3-1. Against Accrington, we were undoubtedly the worst side the FL has ever endured and we lost 'just' 1-0. If the key to winning the league is winning matches when you're not playing well, surely the key to relegation must be to lose matches no matter how you play.
We're bollocksed. It doesn't matter what happens here, so we might as well lose 176-0. At least we'll get in the papers and Billy Kee can feel smug about deserting a sinking ship.

Matt.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 24 Feb 2014, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Tomorrow we'll see what sort of characters we really have in the side. The last two home games against two woeful sides have produced performances that can only be described as moribund. It must be third time lucky against Burton or on the face of it it is another game gone, another game where the players show no fight or spark, we could be another point or more adrift of safety with no upturn in fortunes in sight. Such a scenario would make Hartlepool a game we need to win at all costs.

I have to stick my neck out and put trust in the players for one last time and say that they will raise their game for this and we will get back on track. It's up to them now and so we must get behind them and see what they have left for us.

I'm going 2-1 to us in my heart. My head says we have no chance of winning this. Burton are a very useful side.

Sod it. 2-1 the mighty Gulls.

COYY!!!!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I am mostly an optimist about life and I have in the past always felt that Torquay have a chance in any game. For this one I reallly don't see anything other than a defeat, probably by the odd goal (i.e. 1-0 as we are incapable of scoring). This game will, I feel, be the final nail in the coffin. I hope, of course, that I am wrong, I really, really hope that I am wrong.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree with Mr. Gullintwoplaces.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We lost against Accrington because we are truly an awful side. Accrington were an appalling side but we were worse. Look at our home record this year.
Accept that we are getting relegated because the players we have are not up to standard. No lessons are learnt - ever.
We have persisted with players who are not up to league two standard for years.
Take Macklin for example, where is he now. Recently released by Chippenham.
On saturday we had a player on the pitch in Stevens who is actually WORSE than Macklin - so we wonder why we are going down.
Its a farce.
To be honest the way I feel at the moment we might as well lock the doors and get the bulldozers in.
If anyone was to pay my entrance/petrol money and give me £100 for my trouble tomorrow I still wouldn't go.
I wouldn't waste my time.
Torquay United are akin to a three ring circus. A laughing stock. Those in charge should be hanging their heads in shame.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:Tomorrow we'll see what sort of characters we really have in the side.
That's what is worrying me! ;-)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

:lol:

Me too!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

As always I agree with brucie. He speaks sense and speaks forcibly, with conviction and with the ability to see through the usual quasi-optimistic nonsense so often written on this site. The bottom line is that the players we have are not up to it. So often in the past we have got together (by intent or chance) a decent side. What happens then? The good players are sold and we are back to square one. Brucie (like myself) has been supporting TUFC long enough to see this pattern too. The reason? lack of ambition, of course. If a reader wishes to confirm my argument, he need go no further than the published TUFC histories (and ancillary statistical information) to understand that this lack of ambition was there from the start; indeed, our first manager in the Football League resigned quoting this very reason. This lack of ambition has not gone away; like an insidious virus it infects supporters too: among many silly comments you can include the following (edited), 'I'm happy to stay in League Two, it's where we belong', 'Looking forward to trips to new grounds in the Conference', 'Ain't the Conference fun', etc. etc. In the end you get fed up, like Brucie and like myself. We want promotion, that's what we want!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Given the longevity of your support, you should also realise that there are many times when we have fought relegation (even as close as last season), and then managed to stay up against the odds.

In fact, I'm sure if I look hard enough through certain people's posts, I will find "We're f***ed", "We're relegated", "I'm never setting foot inside Plainmoor again this season" plastered across their previous posts....especially last season - yet we didn't end up relegated and, guess what, people still went to Plainmoor.

It seems to be what happens with this club and every season we either play amazingly well (above our weight) and get into the playoffs, or we play so woeful that we end up fighting off relegation.

We're not down yet and, whilst the situation is dire, it's no different to last season and we pulled a rabbit out of the hat then - we just need to hope we can find some more rabbits.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I am one of those coming down tomorrow night. With my blue streak from Bristol. Anyone who wants a lift please PM me.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote: ...... it's no different to last season and we pulled a rabbit out of the hat then - we just need to hope we can find some more rabbits.
.... and a bloody big hat as we need 8 rabbits in the next 15 games, when so far this season we have only had 7 in 31 games! ;-)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

That's not technically correct Stef. We have had 2 rabbits and 5 squirrels in 31 games.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stefano »

AustrianAntheaGull wrote:That's not technically correct Stef. We have had 2 rabbits and 5 squirrels in 31 games.
:~D
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

9.45 pm - It's hissing down again !! Forecast for showers only tomorrow so match should be on. But it's going to be another pudding of a pitch. We have to play at a much higher tempo than last Saturday to have any chance. Surely if the fans can see it, Hargreaves and Hodges should realise that was sadly lacking on Saturday? On another thread, Okehampton Gull posted that Bodin is likely to be out for the rest of the season - has anyone else heard this? My understanding was that he would miss a couple of games only.