Craig and Yeoman to Dorchester

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Craig and Yeoman to Dorchester

Post by Plymouth Gull »

One month loans.

Both need some game time so I think this is wise.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Craig has not developed as hoped. I doubt we will see him again in a fist team shirt (sorry Matt).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I think the same can be said of Yeoman too, been at the club a long time and keeps going out on loan.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'm not sure about Yeoman but I thought Craig would have been a perfect player for Greavsie to sit in the middle of the park and spray the passes about. Maybe not one for a relegation battle and will be given a chance for a fresh start next season?
A shame but for the sake of their own careers probably for the best.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

Craig is still the only one who can pass in the midfield and a better crosser than most. How many times on Tuesday did you see some passes for our forwards to run on too? Very few indeed, where as they made it look an easy task. They scored from one pass forward whilst we cant score at home at all this season.

Also what is the point of not using Rudge when you have him on a months loan, if he doesn't get any game time then send him back.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

As others have mentioned I think Rudge was brought in as emergency injury cover for Mansell. As it happens his injury wasn't as bad as first feared. From what I have heard about the boy he is a defensive midfielder in a similar vain to Lathrope. Maybe away at Chesterfield we could do with starting both but otherwise I don't really think it's going to happen and there is no reason I can see to drop Lathrope at the moment.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Neither has nailed down a place under three different managers- so draw your own conclusions from that.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Following his performances at the back end of last season I was absolutely convinced that Ashley Yeoman should have been given the opportunity to lead the line. He showed in glimpses last season that he could cut it in the Football League. He was just never given the run of games needed. Those present at Morecambe will vouch that his goal showed confidence, ability and class in abundance. How many times have we heard 'best finisher at the club' - well he can't put the ball in the net from the stands can he?

I felt we should have backed him, given him the no.9 shirt and told him he was starting the first 5 games of the season. If he did well he would keep his place, not so well; well it's been 4 or 5 years. We are now in a situation where we will probably never know, and that is a shame. He certainly wouldn't have done any worse than some of those chosen ahead of him in the pecking order this season, and that too is a shame.

He is a quiet lad on the training field? So what? Not a reason not to pick him in my opinion. If you're the best finisher at the club, you should be on the pitch.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

whether some like or not, neither of these lads have established themselves under successive managers something's not right, time to cut them loose ? could depend on what league we're next season.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

PhilGull wrote:I'm not sure about Yeoman but I thought Craig would have been a perfect player for Greavsie to sit in the middle of the park and spray the passes about. Maybe not one for a relegation battle and will be given a chance for a fresh start next season?
A shame but for the sake of their own careers probably for the best.
I hope your right about Craig.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Craig is far too good a player to be at Dorchester.

It hasn't taken long for the new manager to move Yeoman on and I fear that Skrill South is probably the best Ashley can hope for. Hopefully he can prosper there. However, Nathan Craig, to my mind is different. the last time I saw him play - possibly home v Plymouth - I thought he was our best player. There is something there with him and I hope we don't jettison him, as I think he has something to offer.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I've nothing new to add. There is no way on God's green Earth that Manse is a better footballer than Craig, and the same is the case for Yeoman and Benyon.

Anyone who knows even the first thing about the realities of profession sport will tell you that talent is worth about 5% of the overall package. In these situation, I am always put in mind of a section of the autobiography of Ben Collins (Top Gear's White Stig). In it, he describes how he tried out for F1, but was rejected by the team boss who acknowledged that, while Collins was the faster driver, his optimum weight was higher than that of the other guy. Accordingly, the maths boffins had calculated that the additional ballast afforded to the lighter man would be of greater tactical advantage. And thus, the greater talent was left outside to rot while the smaller man went to the big time. It is on these fine margins that superstars are made and that careers go by the wayside. Nathan Craig is an extremely talented footballer. He can do things of which no other player in our squad is capable. It is this element of his whole which I see at reserve games and upon which I base my judgements. I am not wrong about his talent. The other 95%? Who knows.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

ferrarilover wrote:I've nothing new to add. There is no way on God's green Earth that Manse is a better footballer than Craig, and the same is the case for Yeoman and Benyon.

Anyone who knows even the first thing about the realities of profession sport will tell you that talent is worth about 5% of the overall package. In these situation, I am always put in mind of a section of the autobiography of Ben Collins (Top Gear's White Stig). In it, he describes how he tried out for F1, but was rejected by the team boss who acknowledged that, while Collins was the faster driver, his optimum weight was higher than that of the other guy. Accordingly, the maths boffins had calculated that the additional ballast afforded to the lighter man would be of greater tactical advantage. And thus, the greater talent was left outside to rot while the smaller man went to the big time. It is on these fine margins that superstars are made and that careers go by the wayside. Nathan Craig is an extremely talented footballer. He can do things of which no other player in our squad is capable. It is this element of his whole which I see at reserve games and upon which I base my judgements. I am not wrong about his talent. The other 95%? Who knows.

Matt.
But isn't that the main part of the problem though - that he only looks any good in reserve games?

I understand the point raised in the past that you can only beat what's put in front of you, but to me that just reinforces the point. Craig only ever stood out in games containing the second string, youth players, Trialists or players on their way back to fitness in a game played at half pace. Put him in the cut and thrust of L2 and you see his lack of strength, pace and positional awareness are more of a hinderance than his undoubted ability to play a long pass is an asset.

Players cannot be judged on reserve games. I remember a reserve game years ago where Carl Priso put in a blinding performance - 2 goals, great link up play, he looked the works. Come Saturday, away at Grimsby and 1-0 down with 25 to go and we're calling for "big Carl" from the bench. What followed was the most pathetic 25mins of target man "action" I've ever seen.

To be fair I think Craig is better than Dorchester (cut off at the bottom of Conf South), but from what I've seen in first team games he's just not good enough.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

When Nathan Craig has appeared in the first team, this season, I do not think he has looked any worse than the players who have been picked every week. Nathan Craig is a better midfielder, than Benyon is a forward for example, or Mansell is at right back. I have a feeling that when we release him, which inevitably, we probably will, he will be one of those players that comes back to haunt us...a bit like not taking Ryan Harley on.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

The thing is Jeff, he doesn't just look good in reserve games, he looks like he's on a totally different level. He's been chucked into a poor side to play out of position and, accordingly, he's done badly. I've spoken to plenty of people (managers, players, coaches etc) who have said that Nathan's lack of first team action isn't through a lack of talent.

Stick him among a decent set of players with strikers and wingers who give him something to aim for and he'll stand out. This is the primary difference with the reserves. Because they're all playing without fear and with a brief to impress, they run themselves silly. The kids these days don't stand still at any stage during a game. Oneill Odofin (that's probably not spelt correctly) covers more ground from CB in the Youth than Bodin does for the first team. Craig loves it. He is what made that Baker kid from Wheel Power look so good. He's what makes Cruise look so good, he's what gets us so many goals in the reserve.
Of course, he's not perfect, I'm not saying he's all that much better than L2 (presently), but what he does have is the hard bit. He's got the talent, a talent which only God (to appease Joe and others) can give him. Strength and power can be bought with gym time and protein shakes. Positional sense comes with game time. I desperately hope he makes it with us, because, per Hector, I think he'll be a hell of an enemy if we let him go.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"