Rendell and Benyon

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Rendell and Benyon

Post by Richinns »

OK - so the news Rendell is returning is not the most exciting considering he is deemed not good enough for Luton BUT
both Rendell and Benyon are now at the prime age for a footballer and fairly recently had a combined total worth of in excess of 250k.

There is a bit of convincing myself (as long as trying to get others on board) but they have been successful as a partnership before so why not now?

Neither are even close to being past their best age wise so unless injuries have limited them then perhaps this is a wise move?

This league is no better than when we re-entered it and they were certainly good enough then.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Who said Rendell is returning?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

brucie wrote:Who said Rendell is returning?
Hargreaves pretty much confirmed it in the HE ( link on the other thread). Certainly been offered something
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Are they better than what we already have (which is, in itself, currently not good enough)? No, not for me. Extremely disappointing. I've said elsewhere, I want to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:Are they better than what we already have (which is, in itself, currently not good enough)? No, not for me. Extremely disappointing. I've said elsewhere, I want to be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Matt.
Do you ever..?? =D
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ferrarilover wrote:Are they better than what we already have (which is, in itself, currently not good enough)? No, not for me. Extremely disappointing. I've said elsewhere, I want to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Matt.
That's much how I feel. Rendell and Stevens are not the first names that would have tripped off my tongue when considering which players could add the edge to keep us up. I would have probably thought them more likely to confirm us going down and you suspect that the likes of Northampton, Bury etc are not looking at their recruitment and thinking 'we really need to up our game now, looking at who Torquay have signed,' and I suspect had it been Knill recruiting these, there would have been uproar.

However, like you, I really hope that I'm wrong and that Hargreaves is bringing in players who are part of the Torquay fabric, that will add to the ethos of positivity that he is trying to create and that they may just have enough, in enough games to tip the balance our way.

Stevens flourished under the management of Ling and last season was injured for much of it and ignored by Knill. All we can hope is that under Hargreaves he can play at the best of his ability. Same with Rendell really.

Fingers crossed.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote: That's much how I feel. Rendell and Stevens are not the first names that would have tripped off my tongue when considering which players could add the edge to keep us up. I would have probably thought them more likely to confirm us going down and you suspect that the likes of Northampton, Bury etc are not looking at their recruitment and thinking 'we really need to up our game now, looking at who Torquay have signed,' and I suspect had it been Knill recruiting these, there would have been uproar.

However, like you, I really hope that I'm wrong and that Hargreaves is bringing in players who are part of the Torquay fabric, that will add to the ethos of positivity that he is trying to create and that they may just have enough, in enough games to tip the balance our way.

Stevens flourished under the management of Ling and last season was injured for much of it and ignored by Knill. All we can hope is that under Hargreaves he can play at the best of his ability. Same with Rendell really.

Fingers crossed.
Drifting around in circles without a rudder or anybody that can read a map! That's what happens when the crew throw the skipper overboard and the First Mate takes charge. ;-)
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I think Hargreaves is taking the safe option here and I don't blame him.
As far as I am aware we have a settled, united squad. They all know they have underperformed so far this season and it seems like they are all pulling in the same direction. Now Hargreaves could go out and find some new players to bring in, a young hotshot from the Championship maybe, but there is always a great danger that it will have a detrimental effect on the squad. He is opting for the safer bet of players he knows, players that a lot of the existing squad know, players that will add to the squad unity and hopefully get us over the line.
Neither Rendell nor Stevens would be my first choice as new signings, but I am happy - especially with Rendell - that they are both able to do a job at this level, that they will both work hard for the team, the manager and for the sakes of their own careers. As someone else mentioned age wise they are in their prime, but they may feel this could be their last chance to prove themselves at league level. Failure this time could see a permanent slip in to non-league obscurity.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We apparently got rid of Mozika cause we couldn't afford him and yet are paying two players in Rendell and Stevens who just don't improve the team at all.
No doubt Northampton will sign Mozika,Marquis and a few others. I am wondering whether Chapple will be going to Northampton or even Bodin.
I am actually beginning to wish that Hargreaves had actually gone to Northampton - lets face it if he had signed Rendell/Stevens for them we would all be laughing.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Phil - so what exactly is the reason then that Stevens hasn't been playing for anyone for nigh on eight months.
If he couldn't get a league club then why didn't he play in the Conference. Perhaps the reason is that no Conference team wanted him (turned down by Aldershot)
Whats the safe option in signing a player who weasn't good enough last time he was here, wasn't good enough to get a team in the league lower down when he left here. It is nonsensical.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

It's safe because the manager knows him. Know's what he's like in training. Know's what he is like in the dressing room. Know's what he is like on the pitch. Know's what he can do on the pitch and yes, know's what his limitations are.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And I know he is crap.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I agree totally with brucie.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

I'm with the nay sayers, Stevens is crap, and Rendell has been on the decline since he left us first time around, I disagree with the signings and think they're a massive waste of money........ right up until I get into the ground, and then the new boys will get the same support Messi and Ronaldo would've got had they thrown on the yellow.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Perhaps Hargreaves will let me know if Stevens is at worst in the team or on the bench and taking someone elses place - save me a trip.