The decline is niegh

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

The decline is niegh

Post by frenchgull »

I have followed Torquay for forty seven years and it gives me no pleasure in saying that we are in irrevocable decline,I think our true place will be in the conference south.My reasons for posting this is 1,we are owned by a lottery winner,God bless her because without her we already would be in the conference,2,we have a board without any entrepreneurial expertise imo, 3,Torquay is not on a motorway and miles away from the football world.4,Torquay has an ageing population with so many distractions on the T.V.that is less expensive to watch that the twenty quid to get into plainmoor,5,2000 supporters is not enough to sustain a professional football club.6,I am sure Mr Knill works very hard every day but what we need is a young person with bags of desire and can relate to young players who will form the majority of the Torquay team in the future.I think the second division will become the conference premier and become semi pro.Well as I said it gives me no pleasure but if I am proved wrong I will be delighted.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Nonsense lad, we ain't dead yet! We was poor today but we just have to bury it and move on - we are not even in the relegation zone and there are worse teams than us in this league!

Believe!
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Good god - get a grip.

I suspect many so called 'fans' would enjoy your predicted demise.

Shame.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

This forum is sooooo busy when we do badly, tends to be quieter when we do well - which isn't often granted at the moment!
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Whilst i am not saying frenchgull is right, i do think that what with 47 years experience of supporting our club behind him he has every right to hold the opinions he does. As he says, he would take no pride or happiness in being proved right in his assertions.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

Then he would of seen us get out of worse scenarios than this! Frenchgull we'll be fine, im certain
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Think some have been a little harsh on Frenchgull here, he is asking can the club sustain it's football league status long term, he may have a point. I certainly hope so.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

I hope it dosent come across as harsh, just trying to ease the fears lol
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Bomber »

There are enough bad teams in this league for us to work our way out of this, what today does illustrate is that we are miles behind the leading teams in the Division.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

It's right to try an ease fears, and it's not just about this season and teams around us at the moment. You have to look at next season, the season after that and so and so on, I look at League 2 now, the size of the clubs, their respective fanbase and the sort of budgets they are working off, we are more and more being dwarfed.

Then look at clubs who are similar to us in size of budget and fanbase etc, and most are in the conference very few left in the league now, we can not compete with clubs like Chesterfield and Oxford etc, etc, even Rochdale not a massive club at this level, but can tap into loan players from of the big premiership/Championship northern clubs.

If you look at unemployment, seasonal jobs and low pay around this area, location, population, over recent years Plymouth had serveral Championship seasons and attracted a lot of fans from surrounding areas, there are so mnay factors running against our club.

That's why I think it's a fair topic.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Robiberto22 »

These are good points to be fair forevertufc, if we ever drop down we probably wont come back up for a very long time, i guess that is why people panic a bit, we just have to focus on now in my opinion we cant see the future! true we have factors going against us that mean we are dwarfed but we cant see who will be in charge for example in 12 months time. We probably do need a fresh young enthusiastic gaffer to revolutionize us - whos to say we wont have that? it was only a year and a half ago we were doing well - really well so lets not panic jus yet
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, to be fair if you look at the now, and look at our current squad, we should be achieving better peformances and results.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes you are right we actually are in terminal decline. Got to the ground at 1440 today. There were two reasonably long queues outside the main entrance for Bristows Bench. Yet two completely empty turnstiles for the family stand.
God knows why there was a queue when the crowd was 1900 odd. When I got to the turnstile I asked for three tickets and the turnstile operator asked me if I wanted to pay for all three - he then proceeded to get a pen and write down three 18's on a piece of paper before trying to add the figures up.
Once in the ground I saw Joe Barlow who is now actually a steward. Really the lunatics have finally taken over the asylum.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Well according to average attendances last season, we are 8th last in the Football League. There are 4 teams in the Conference Premier who average higher attendances than us. So if my maths are correct, our rightful place is 20th place in League 2.

Guess what? We're 20th in League 2! Spooky right?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote:Yes you are right we actually are in terminal decline. Got to the ground at 1440 today. There were two reasonably long queues outside the main entrance for Bristows Bench. Yet two completely empty turnstiles for the family stand.
God knows why there was a queue when the crowd was 1900 odd. When I got to the turnstile I asked for three tickets and the turnstile operator asked me if I wanted to pay for all three - he then proceeded to get a pen and write down three 18's on a piece of paper before trying to add the figures up.
Once in the ground I saw Joe Barlow who is now actually a steward. Really the lunatics have finally taken over the asylum.

Jeez, brucie that is unsettling! :-o

back on topic, there are some on here with ideas above their station.

why do they not get it that we are at best a league 2 club. it doesnt matter if you have follwed TUFC for 47 yrs or 47 days, thats our level.

as I pain to point out every season, league 2 for 20yrs would suit me fine.

as for that bo**ocks that I dont have ambition, for a club our size and all the associated "problems" ie location - league 2 is the ambition.

and recently on the whole, we have done alright.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468