The left back situation

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

The left back situation

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Last season when Alan Knill came in, he seemed to favour Cruise over Nicholson, as he gave Cruise a run of games before that was ended by a red card. However, that gave me confidence that Knill had noticed that Cruise was a better option at LB than Nicho for this campaign, and we would see Tom starting on the pitch this season. Now obviously this hasn't happened and you would assume that something has made this happen. It cannot be due to the form of Kevin Nicholson as he has shown little/no signs of good, consistent performances in the 8 games we have managed (including today). Unfortunately, it is blindingly obvious that KN cannot cope with a winger with any sort of speed anymore, and we are ever-increasingly becoming shown up for it.

Cruise set the standard for what he can do at the end of last season, and although he didn't meet that on Tuesday night, given a run of 5/6 games I feel that he would be showing what he can do, which is definitely enough to hold down a regular spot. The boy obviously has talent and we are wasting it - you don't spend your whole teenage years at Arsenal being developed and recognised as one of their better prospects (until injury).

So yeah, there's my thoughts. I'd also consider mixing up the midfield and giving Mansell a spell on the sidelines but I reckon two big calls like that is far too much to ask!
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

:goodpost: you won't find many who will disagree with that. I remember in the non-league days something like 50% of our goals came from Nicho set pieces. That seems like a lifetime ago now as he can't even offer anything from dead balls. I also agree re- Mansell.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

It makes me wonder if both Mansell and Nicho's contracts had ended at the end of last season, if they were released and Knill had brought in a new player for those positions how much it would change us now.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Certainly would have freed up a bit of money as I'd guess at both being pretty well paid. It's a shame as over the years, both have been excellent but their time has come. Frustrating.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Portsmouth had a lot quick players, had Nico played we probably would have lost 10.0. It's getting to the point now that an overhaul is needed, Cruise for Nico would be a good starting point.

If your winning you can justify your starting 11, we are not, time atleast to try something new, and I don't mean poxy 4-5-1.
Formerly known as forevertufc
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Agree completely, and if I hear one more time that Nicholson has 'had no cover', I swear I will go nuts. The whole POINT of a full back is to defend against a winger, he shouldn't need cover unless the opposition full-back is coming forward, in which case the winger in front of him drops back. Saying that he should be 'getting more cover' when it's just a winger ripping him to shreds is ridiculous.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Agree with Nick and all the posters on here. Nico is my favourite TUFC player and still will be until he leaves the club, that doesn't mean to say I want him in the side. He has gone now IMO, there are a lot of teams in this division now with improved fitness and speedy wingers and he just hasn't the pace or quick thinking ability to get into positions to negate the lack of pace and he is a liability at the back now. I feel like i'm betraying a good friend in saying all that but the team comes first and he is not up to it anymore IMO. The first half at Cobblers was uncomfortable to watch for him, basically they worked out that any kind of ball down his side would yield success in the form of a cross or attacking opportunity and they just pummelled him with problems. Their goal came from such a move. I admit that he didn't have too much cover on some occasions but like madgull says, he is a defender and should be able to manage his own position most of the time without help from others.

I've not seen too much of Cruise but he's quicker and sharper than Nico and that is a head start surely? Sorry Nico, I feel upset for you mate but time's time cock (as they say here oop north).
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

madgull wrote:Agree completely, and if I hear one more time that Nicholson has 'had no cover', I swear I will go nuts. The whole POINT of a full back is to defend against a winger, he shouldn't need cover unless the opposition full-back is coming forward, in which case the winger in front of him drops back. Saying that he should be 'getting more cover' when it's just a winger ripping him to shreds is ridiculous.
:goodpost: Spot on couldn't agree more.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I think pretty much everyone has got it spot on so far. Nico is not up to task any more, and we need to see a change of personnel and I think Cruise is the best bet for that, but I'm afraid I won't be upset if Nico is released at the end of the season.

As for Manse, I still think he has much to offer and we certainly have nothing better right now. One thing I do think Knill has got wrong though is his blatant disregarding of Craig and Lathrope. Personally, I think he should be making it clear these players are ready to step into Manse and Harding's shoes and keep those in the first team on their toes. Likewise for Thompson, who should be given the vote of confidence to step in if he's needed.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

:goodpost:

bang on - and saves me typing! =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Yep. Cruise to be number one choice, please.

Am hoping the Mozika arrival will offer the presence needed in central midfield.

Craig and Yeoman need to be out on loan rather than in the stands. Mozika and Harding I'd start with. Lathrope would be next in line to keep them on their toes.

Time for change.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Cruise is excellent on the ball - I was watching him during the pre season friendly at Tiverton, he basically never wasted a pass.
The issue with him is that his positional sense isn't the greatest and I am not sure that he is actually a very good defender.
I didn't see the Oxford game but when he played at right back my mate said he was awful. Didn't sound that he was too clever against Portsmouth either. That isn't going to get him into the first team on a regular basis.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Cruise wasn't awful against Oxford, he played okay but looked like what he was, a left back playing out of position at right back. I thought he played well defensively against Pompey although I would have liked to see a bit more going forward, but that goes for the entire team in that match.

I thought the defence looked the best I've seen them all season against Portsmouth - I rarely felt like they'd score when they attacked and only remember Rice having to make one significant save all night, which was a fantastic one at that.

Cruise needs a run of games instead of nico as I feel he'll be able to offer more defensively and offensively. Nico doesn't even offer us his set pieces anymore. Its a real shame to say it but his time is up, as I feel Mansell's might be as well. Both should be allowed to leave at the end of the season, if not sooner if there are clubs (most likely blue square) who will take them. Then we can free up some wage bill for players who are still of a league two quality.

As much as he is criticised, Buckle knew when to let players go, even those who were club favourites - Sills and Hargreaves for example. Knill needs to show the same ruthlessness.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

leetufc wrote:As much as he is criticised, Buckle knew when to let players go, even those who were club favourites - Sills and Hargreaves for example. Knill needs to show the same ruthlessness.
Was thinking the very same thing. No sentimentality from Buckle when it came to shedding players (no matter who) but sometimes the truth hurts.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Cruise may not be as good a defender as Nicho but at least he has the pace to get back in to defensive positions, Nicho's defensive talents are wasted when he gets caught upfield. Besides which Cruise has time on his side to improve his defensive game, but only with time on the pitch. Nicho is only going to get slower.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084