Torquay United v Hartlepool United - 31/8/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Hartlepool United - 31/8/13

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Alan Knill's boys (don't know why I say that - has he conceived 11 times and they all happen to be in the TUFC starting 11?! :-/ ) are back at Plainmoor for the visit of the monkey hangers from the North East, Hartlepool United. For those unaware, the football club have been given the nickname all because of a folk tale which says that during the Napoleonic Wars a French ship was wrecked off the coast near the town and the only survivor was a monkey allegedly dressed in a French uniform for a 'laugh' by the crew. The locals decided to question the monkey on the beach thinking he was a frenchie like Scotty B, presumably asking him what was his favourite - bananas or nuts? When the hairy primate (the monkey not Scott :) ) failed to reply obviously because he couldn't speak as he was a monkey ( although us northerners manage ok ) they hung him on the beach!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! SIMIAN MURDERERS!!!!!!!! :'( :'(

Hartlepool have begun the new season appallingly after their relegation from league 1 and have yet to score a league goal although perhaps you could argue they have had a tricky start what with losses to Southend, Fleetwood and Rochdale and a 0-0 shocker at York. I know someone who went to that game and they said they had forgotten it as soon as they left Bootham Crescent. They did manage to notch at Forest in the CC1 Cup but went down 3-1 in the process.

Pools are now managed by ex-Forest and Middlesbrough defender Colin Cooper and he has another ex Boro player as his assistant, Craig Hignett. The pair will be hoping their revamped squad will be able to get at least a point on the board on Saturday but I reckon our lads will have something to say about that, especially after the confidence boosting win gained at Northampton last weekend. That said, I am certainly not underestimating our opponents and recognise that they will give us a tough game.

They have lost some decent players in the summer including Peter Hartley who went to Stevenage and also Ritchie Humphreys who now finds himself a few miles up the road from me at Chesterfield. Coming in has been Michael Duckworth, a right back, after a successful trial and the lad has expressed his sadness that mum and dad Jack and Vera are no longer around to see him play in the football league. Also arriving is winger Jack Compton who has had more clubs than Peter Stringfellow (old joke sorry :-/ ), striker Nialle Rodney from Telford who i'm surprised isn't called Nialle Rodneye given his parents insistence on adding an unnecessary 'e' onto the end of his first name, on loan Boro duo Christian Burgess and Matthew Dolan and also the promoted youth teamer Zak Boagey. I wonder if he will make the Pools our boagey team? :)

I wonder if Knill will keep the same 11 that started at San Sixfields and leave Bodin on the bench? Billy certainly did ok for the half and hour he was on the pitch there and also he had a couple of glimmers of hope against Morecambe. Perhaps it is a wise move to keep him as a sub for a while to give him a chance to come on hopefully when we are attacking the most (normally the last 3o minutes so far!) and find it easier to ease into the game. I hope Callum Ball can get on the scoresheet as I feel his performances deserve a goal and hopefully the crowd can get behind Nico from the off and not get stuck into him if he begins slowly once again.

I haven't got a clue how many fans Hartlepool will bring down to Plainmoor but I reckon around 100 ish? They will be most welcome as i'm sure we will be when we make the journey to the North East for the return game. I am going for a 0-0 draw in this as we have scored in each game and there must be a game just around the corner in which we won't score. I also don't believe Hartlepool have enough in the locker to make too many chances at our place but I think they may be resolute so i'll go for us to be on top but not being able to break them down and 0-0.

As it's a home game the thread will be a bit boring as there isn't much to write about other than the opposition and so hopefully Fleetwood should be a little more interesting for those that way inclined. :clap: I won't be going to this as I live 270 miles away but I will be down for the Cheltenham game on the 21st which will be my first visit to Plainmoor this season :scarf: . Please get your arses down to the Devon theatre of dreams and support the lads for this one and hopefully we can get back to back wins for the first time this season.

The man in the middle for this one is Bonnie's other half Oliver Langford and the portents aren't great for us. His last 3 games reffing us has led to our 4-0 home loss by Leicester in last years CC1 Cup, the 3-2 last minute debacle at home to AFC Wimbledon last season and before that the 5-2 home humiliation by Gillingham. Oh sh*t!! :-/

His assistants are Adam Bromley and Andrew Turner (who has been to Plainmoor before as I remember telling you all that he shares the same name as my uncle who lives in Antwerp! ) ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE SAME TIME TOMORROW!! =Z The pointless 4th official (unless the ref has to leave the pitch due to an IBS attack and then he may be required) is Andrew Bennett. Gordon Bennett.

I trust you will all find this thread more digestible and that there will be no silly tl:dr shenanigans going off (only kidding Happy! :na: ) you can save it for the Fleetwood one instead. :)

As always, COME ON YOU TORQUAY BOYS!!!!!!! COME ON YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YELLOWS!! :scarf: :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Thanks A A for your ramblings re Hartlepool and like you I think Hartlepool will be a very difficult game.With all our hopes and ambitions after Northampton this is the perfect banana skin.Hope I am wrong but I have seen it all before,come on you Gulls dig in and prove me wrong.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

2-1 win, Hawley at the double
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not sure how to call Saturdays game. We're Torquay, we never win we should but we often win when we shouldn't!

Pre-season, I predicted Hartlepool to struggle. They didn't do great last season (obviously), made precious little investment over the summer and have appointed a rookie manager (albeit an experienced player) in Colin Cooper. And so far my predictions are to form, as Pools are bottom and without a goal.

I consider myself fairly well informed on lower league players, but I would really struggle to identify a Hartlepool XI. I know they have Steve Howard, a big unit on his way down the leagues but still an effective target man at this level. And Andy Monkhouse, who was a decent winger at this level the year we got relegated to the BSP who is still around. And I think Scott Flinders plays in goal for them, who was touted as a bit of a prospect a few years ago, plus they have some lad (Burgess?) on loan from Middlesbrough who plays at the back for them. But other than that I genuinely wouldn't be able to name any more of their squad without looking at Wikipedia. I think from FLS commentary they have a fairly young squad - Monkhouse and Howard excepted.

We will still have to be on our game, continuing from the second half last weekend. At this level you cannot put in performances like our first half and get away with it too often. Pearce and Downes showed signs of an improving partnership, which will need to be at its best as Howard will give them a bit of a test I'm sure.

Hartlepools bad run will have to come to an end sometime, lets just hope its not at Plainmoor!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Andy Monkhouse on the wing, we'll not have to worry too much about Nico getting done for pace. In fact, that might be the slowest contest in football league history.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Matty Dolan is the lad on loan from 'Boro'-others you might know are Simon Walton(ex-Plymouth) midfielder ,and Jack Compton,son of Paul ,and a decent player who's never really reached his potential.
Last edited by Behind-the-Gulls on 29 Aug 2013, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

anyone know who our allotted penalty taker is? would of thought Bodin, as he took them in pre season, however if he is sub again who would it be?
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

gurneygibbs23 wrote:anyone know who our allotted penalty taker is? would of thought Bodin, as he took them in pre season, however if he is sub again who would it be?
A few candidates: Nico,Manse,Harding,Hawley,Ball,Chapell.
Got a feeling it would be Hawley.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
They have lost some decent players in the summer including Peter Hartley who went to Stevenage and also Ritchie Humphreys who now finds himself a few miles up the road from me at Chesterfield. Coming in has been Michael Duckworth, a right back, after a successful trial and the lad has expressed his sadness that mum and dad Jack and Vera are no longer around to see him play in the football league. Also arriving is winger Jack Compton who has had more clubs than Peter Stringfellow (old joke sorry :-/ ), striker Nialle Rodney from Telford who i'm surprised isn't called Nialle Rodneye given his parents insistence on adding an unnecessary 'e' onto the end of his first name, on loan Boro duo Christian Burgess and Matthew Dolan and also the promoted youth teamer Zak Boagey. I wonder if he will make the Pools our boagey team? :)
Jack Compton, ex-Torquay triallist, grew up in Torquay and son of Paul Compton.
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

will miss this one due to child commitments, but will be down for pompey!!!

anyways 1-0 torquay and i reckon either a downsey header or a poachers effort from ball

COYG!!!
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

gurneygibbs23 wrote:anyone know who our allotted penalty taker is? would of thought Bodin, as he took them in pre season, however if he is sub again who would it be?
I should have thought anyone but Bodin, because he's going to miss the next penalty he takes.. :(
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Wouldnt surprise me if Hartlepool score a few, we are Torquay after all, when do we ever do things the easy way. Going for 3-2 Torquay. To all the Hartlepool fans traveling down, safe trip and here's to a long trip north with no points!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Gullscorer wrote: I should have thought anyone but Bodin, because he's going to miss the next penalty he takes.. :(
And if this should be the case, we're all going to blame Gullscorer, obviously..... :slap:
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

taxilady wrote: And if this should be the case, we're all going to blame Gullscorer, obviously..... :slap:
id rather blame the austrian............... =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

3-2 to torquay. im going tomorrow. first one of the season for me and the boy is coming with me for his 2nd game ever.
:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).