Do any of you remember this ?

General chat about anything else goes here.
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Captain

Do any of you remember this ?

Post by Banging_Them_In »

After the recent charging of a man for killing PC Keith Blakelock at the Broadwater Farm estate riots in 1985, I decided to look up other instances of coppers killed whilst on duty and came upon the case in 1977, when PC Christopher Francis Wilson (Devon & Cornwall Police) 'contracted fatal illness when spat on during a football disturbance'.

I can not find any other details regarding this true, sad and strange incident, and was wondering if any of you know about this or can remember it. That is, did it happen in Torquay, Exeter or Plymouth ?

cheers
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Coppers get moved all over the place for big events. It could have been the FA Cup final, Man Utd v Leeds, Millwall v Chelsea, almost anything. No saying it wasn't a local game, just that it's no certainty.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench

...fair point Matt
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I do have a vague recollection of this and yes, tragically, it was thought most likely that he did contract this terrible disease whilst working as a PC after being spat upon at a TUFC game at Plainmoor. As far as I am aware, they could never be certain that this was the case and certainly no criminal charges were brought against any individual who may himself, of course, been totally unaware that he was carrying the virus.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Which illness is involved?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Meningitis, if memory serves me right.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

CP Gull wrote:I do have a vague recollection of this and yes, tragically, it was thought most likely that he did contract this terrible disease whilst working as a PC after being spat upon at a TUFC game at Plainmoor. As far as I am aware, they could never be certain that this was the case and certainly no criminal charges were brought against any individual who may himself, of course, been totally unaware that he was carrying the virus.
I have a vague recollection of this story too, although it was before my time as a fan.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Think it was Cardiff City thugs involved when they were in the rampage in Torquay?
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench

Played the Blue Birds three times in the league cup in 1977 :
This 1st game must be the one with the aggro and the coppers death.....

1st leg : 13 Aug 1977 Torquay United v Cardiff City 1-0 League Cup

2nd leg : 17 Aug 1977 Cardiff City v Torquay United 3-2 League Cup

Unfortunatly 'away goals rule' wasn't employed, so a single replay and at Cardiff it seems, where we get beat 2-1
Replay:

Replay : 24 Aug 1977 Cardiff City v Torquay United 2-1 League Cup
RobS

Post by RobS »

It was at Plainmoor. Torquay versus Cardiff City and a Cardiff fan spat at the policeman