Thought For the Day

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Censorship:

To attempt to silence people is to pay them homage, for it is an acknowledgement that their arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

'The role of men has always been to civilize women; to force women to consider others aside from themselves. Without that, women will do what they have always done: degenerate into self-absorbed brats.' Erin Pizzey

I came across this quote on another website, and I don't know the original context from which it was taken. It's a sweeping generalisation, of course, though there may be a grain of truth in it. But switch the sexes for a moment: 'The role of women has always been to civilize men; to force men to consider others aside from themselves. Without that, men will do what they have always done: degenerate into self-absorbed brats.' Now, this generalisation would be typical of feminist attitudes towards the male sex! (Though there may be a grain of truth in it!) Because contrary to what most people believe (that feminism is about equality) modern feminism is in fact a man-hating ideology.

I'm assuming the original quote is correctly attributed to Erin Pizzey, for whom I have a lot of time. Her book 'This Way to the Revolution' is brilliant. But the quote illustrates the dangers of generalisations creating mythical stereotypes. The truth is that most faults, frailties, shortcomings, virtues and evils inherent in human beings are to be found in both males and females. Men and women are equally as good, and equally as bad, as each other, though their goodness and badness may manifest in different ways.

It's called human nature.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Truth is truth. Beauty is never what it appears to be.
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know..
(with apologies to John Keats)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

Thomas Paine
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There appears to be something perverted in basic human nature that likes to believe the worst about other people in order to feel the best about oneself.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If you know what you’re worth, go out and get what you’re worth.

But the buck stops with you, and you must take responsibility for yourself. You must be willing to take the hits, and not to point fingers saying you're not where you want to be because of him or because of her or because of anybody. Cowards do that, and that's not you.

You’re better than that.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

While debunking the infamous World Cup myth—namely, that football's World Cup (as well as the American Super Bowl) created a spike in domestic violence with each tournament—Christina Hoff Sommers (http://www.aei.org/scholar/christina-hoff-sommers/) noted an interesting response:

The BBC had checked the proffered data and concluded that the World Cup domestic violence claim was “a stunt based on cherry-picked figures.”

When journalists confronted a woman who spread the myth, she replied, “If it has saved lives, then it is worth it.”

The ideologically driven are notoriously willing to disregard truth in the name of a “noble” goal...or whatever they define as one.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Liberty, justice, fairness, and civilisation, all come at a price: personal responsibility and eternal vigilance. We will not be forewarned by those who would take away from us all that makes us human and makes life worth living..
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I don't know why people disagree with me! All they have to do is imagine what I would say in response to whatever they're thinking and accept that I'm right! Hell, they keep trying to share their perspectives with me even though it should strictly be the other way around!
:-/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

You have a bigger chance of dying on your way to buy a lottery ticket than you do of actually winning.