Danny Stevens - Thankyou

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Danny Stevens - Thankyou

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I just thought i'd post this thread up as i feel any individual who has given the length of service to our club that Danny has deserves more than a fleeting mention. Obviously Danny was one of the unfortunate ones to be told that his TUFC contract is not to be renewed and where he goes from here is anyone's guess but he has been there through the rough times of the BSP, enjoyed the elation of promotion to the football league and also been involved in promotion pushes under Buckle and Ling and so he's not had a bad time of it latterly.

I've often been one of Danny's fiercest critics purely from the view that he was just so inconsistent and infuriating. His persistance in wanting to cut inside all the time and jockey players without actually making any challenge was bloody annoying if i'm honest and he struggled with a lot of abuse from the terraces. However, he DID improve, not a great deal but i did see the improvement in him and credit to him for that and he did generally try hard. I had him down as a BSP player but i do think he is capable of doing a job for a lower end league 2 side such as the improvement he made in my opinion and maybe a change will do him good.

He spent 6 years with us and i feel he at least deserves a special mention for his service to Torquay United and i for one thank him for his time here and hope he gets fixed up with another club soon.

Cheers Danny Boy!!! :scarf: :bow:
I round off by saying that i wish him all the best for the future.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

good OP mate.

god bless the hobbit. :engflag:

give him his due, he did frighten the odd back four - seemed to like playing v burton....

all the best to him. :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I just thought i'd post this thread up as i feel any individual who has given the length of service to our club that Danny has deserves more than a fleeting mention. Obviously Danny was one of the unfortunate ones to be told that his TUFC contract is not to be renewed and where he goes from here is anyone's guess but he has been there through the rough times of the BSP, enjoyed the elation of promotion to the football league and also been involved in promotion pushes under Buckle and Ling and so he's not had a bad time of it latterly.

I've often been one of Danny's fiercest critics purely from the view that he was just so inconsistent and infuriating. His persistance in wanting to cut inside all the time and jockey players without actually making any challenge was bloody annoying if i'm honest and he struggled with a lot of abuse from the terraces. However, he DID improve, not a great deal but i did see the improvement in him and credit to him for that and he did generally try hard. I had him down as a BSP player but i do think he is capable of doing a job for a lower end league 2 side such as the improvement he made in my opinion and maybe a change will do him good.

He spent 6 years with us and i feel he at least deserves a special mention for his service to Torquay United and i for one thank him for his time here and hope he gets fixed up with another club soon.

Cheers Danny Boy!!! :scarf: :bow:
I round off by saying that i wish him all the best for the future.
Here here - I think he will find plenty of options open to him in the BSP and wish him all the best for the future.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

He scored against Chesterfield, he can't be all bad.......... :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:He scored against Chesterfield, he can't be all bad.......... :)
doesn't everybody......

............except the greeks! :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Even though he did frustrate, he did give us some good memories, particularly in the BSP, and I would like to wish him all the best. A naturally gifted player who will never quite fulfil his abilty due to his size.

Thanks Danny, hope you get sorted. The picture on the Stoke friendly match thread from last pre season of Danny and Crouch is magnificent!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Kernowgull wrote:Even though he did frustrate, he did give us some good memories, particularly in the BSP, and I would like to wish him all the best. A naturally gifted player who will never quite fulfil his abilty due to his size.

Thanks Danny, hope you get sorted. The picture on the Stoke friendly match thread from last pre season of Danny and Crouch is magnificent!
good point that mate.

i didnt realise danny was that tall.............. :rofl:

TUST Member 468

tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Many thanks Danny for all your efforts over the last 6 years. A key player in getting us out of the BSP. Shame it didn't really work out at L2 level but I'm sure you'll find a club soon.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I feel more frustrated that we haven't seen more from Danny. He clearly has the ability and natural talent. Why oh why was he always played on the left when he is predominately right footed and always had to cut in. So predictable.
I don't blame that on him. Why wasn't he given the opportunity under Ling to play wide right? Ling made this statement of intent that he had sat down with Danny and was going to get the best out of him. Yet he still played him on the left.
I know Danny had become increasingly frustrated. I remember very well a midweek game against Hereford at home season b4 last and he was unplayable scoring 2 goals in the first 45 min.
Good luck Danny boy, i wish you all the best.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

I echo the OP - I wish Danny all the best, he has been a terrific servant to the club. On his day he was a real threat for us, I can understand the frustration some had towards him at times, but some of the abuse directed towards him from members of the pop-side on occasions was nothing short of a disgrace. As already mentioned he played a key role in recovering our football league status and has left some great memories. I hope he is able to fix himself up with a new club and if he ever comes to play at Plainmoor he can be assured of a warm welcome from me. Cheers Dan.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

saw quite a few flashes of skill and potential with danny, when the ball was actually passed on the deck and given to his feet and he went more direct, attacking defences he looked very dangerous. shame really.

one memory i have which makes me smile is after the BSP play off final when the players were walking around our end of the pitch saluting the supporters with the trophy. danny and elliott benyon grabbed a handle each on the trophy and ran off with it together. they both looked so young, it was like 2 naughty mischevious schoolboys had come on the pitch and were stealing it.

good luck danny. :)
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Thank you Danny, I have good memories of your contribution. One game at Burton stands out, Danny tore the Burton defence apart. I think that day the Burton defence included one Guy Branston?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I don't think, as SBC indicates, that Danny was given the opportunities he deserved in the past 12-18 months. I don't blame Ling or anyone else for this - any individual player is only one element in the team and a manager has to decide his best team combination and positions of the players available to him. So it's probably going to be a good move for Danny, and a good signing for some other lucky lower-league club. Wish him all the best.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

It is a real rarity to see a player staying 6 years with a lower league club like ours. I am glad that he has received this special mention in our forum. I really really hope he sees all the positive comments here as he deserves a big THANK YOU from all Torquay supporters not just for his efforts on the pitch but for his loyalty to the club. When he had a good day...he was unstoppable. I am sad that he was not offered a new contract, because I think he could have offered more to the club. It was not too long ago when he was our second best goalscorer (10 goals I think in Lingy's first season) so he is surely capable of doing this again if given the chance. However the decision is made now, and if you read this Danny, thank you for everything. Good luck in the future career!!! :bow: :engflag:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Is my memory playing tricks with me or did he score two beauties against Yeovil in a televised FA cup game a few seasons ago?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com