Retain or Release?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Retain or Release?

Post by Richinns »

I would firstly give Benyon a contract (no brianer!).

I would also keep - Cruise, Yeoman, Jarvis, Saah, Downes, Leadbitter, Rice (has done nothing wrong and has earned the back-up role) and Rene (although I think this is very unlikely and already has something lined up)

I would say good bye to Stevens, Macklin (has been nowhere recently), Oastler, Morris, Halpin, Easton

Mods - can you do a sticky like last year as to where the squad stands and rumours etc? (this was most useful through the summer period).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I think we need a more ruthless clear-out, otherwise there'll be a repeat of this season's disaster next time round. We want promotion! That's the bottom line, and most (not all - no names) of the present squad won 't achieve that aim.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

wivelgull wrote:I think we need a more ruthless clear-out, otherwise there'll be a repeat of this season's disaster next time round. We want promotion! That's the bottom line, and most (not all - no names) of the present squad won 't achieve that aim.
:lol: This is Torquay

Mid table finish it is then
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Pretty much the same as yours Richinns except i might be tempted to keep Morris and i don't want to see Rene in a Torquay shirt again.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I think Manse, Nico, Poke, Bodin, and Craig have deals?

Supplementary to this, I’d offer deals to Saah, Downes, Cruise, Lathrope, Morris and Howe.

Shift the rest on and start recruitment early (make Benners a priority). Lets not wait until late July, when everyone else has had their pick.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Rich. I will work on a thread like I did last year pretty sharpish!

Anticipating a busy summer ahead so I'll get it started early.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

NickGull wrote:Rich. I will work on a thread like I did last year pretty sharpish!

Anticipating a busy summer ahead so I'll get it started early.
Thanks Nick - top man!
TUST member 328
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Joe Anyinsah released by Rovers. That'd be a start.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

No worries Rich :)
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Fonda wrote:Joe Anyinsah released by Rovers. That'd be a start.
Agree - would be an excellent addition IMO
TUST member 328
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'd like to see Anyinsah here, seems to be quick with a bit of a poachers instinct at times too. Only worry is that he might still be asking for a fair wedge of dollar.

For me, I'd keep the ones under contract as well as Saah, Downes, Cruise and Howe. That would be about it. As for the maybe pile, I wouldn't be annoyed by any means to see Morris there too. I'd like to go back to a smaller squad with better quality players again, using the loan market to boost if we need to.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Jarvis has to be offered a contract, and I'd offer Morris as well providing he's fully recovered. Get in Benyon and Yeoman, ditch Steven and Macklin and spend their wages on one more striker. Jarvo, Yeoman, Benners plus one other would give us great attacking options
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

You have more confidence in Jarvis than me. He's scored 3 or 4 important goals, but I don't think he's anywhere near prolific enough to warrant a place in a squad as small as ours. Yeoman perhaps does deserve another year.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Ahh yes, I'd keep Jarvis too.

I'm still not fussed by Yeoman. But then I like my players to be experts at one particular thing. Yeoman is not tall and can win headers, he's not small and nippy, he's middling height, not particularly quick and doesn't have a poachers instinct like Benyon does. Unless he's on cheap wages, I don't think he's worth keeping when we have two players who are not totally dissimilar and better players.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

cambgull wrote:Ahh yes, I'd keep Jarvis too.

I'm still not fussed by Yeoman. But then I like my players to be experts at one particular thing. Yeoman is not tall and can win headers, he's not small and nippy, he's middling height, not particularly quick and doesn't have a poachers instinct like Benyon does. Unless he's on cheap wages, I don't think he's worth keeping when we have two players who are not totally dissimilar and better players.
Supposedly he is the most natural goalscorer at the club. For this reason I would give him another year as a possible option from the bench.
TUST member 328