Martin ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Martin ling

Post by supergulls »

Martin is returning to his role and is due back at the club in 2 weeks.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Seriously? Can't see it, myself.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Returning in 2 weeks- when everyone is abroad? Where is he going back to- Dubai? ... I'm guessing to sort contracts out more like!
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

Ok we will see, the conversation I had with him yesterday was that he is raring to go and cannot wait to get back. He wanted to return earlier but the board insisted that he rested until the season finishes. He will be returning after the final game but he will be sorting out the players contracts and making preparations for the new season.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Was kinda hoping (in the nicest way possible) that Martin wouldn't be returning. Don't get me wrong, he has done an amazing job at Torquay getting us into the play-offs after the PO final defeat, but Alan Knill has impressed me and clearly given the players some new belief when it seemed that we would plummet out of the league.

We may not be playing the best football, but it is a lot better than what we were playing like with Martin at the helm this season. Before Martin went, everything that happened last season (winning 1-0 and absorbing the pressure) just hasn't happened this season. We looked like we had no plan B and unlike Knill, Martin didn't want to dip into the loan market. With the loan signings we got, we have pushed on and got ourselves (almost) out of the mess we were in.

Whoever is in charge though, I will support them 100%.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

The board wouldn't let Martin bring in anymore players on loan or permanent. He asked in December but was refused.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Maybe so, but he still played really dull, uninspiring football, with exactly the same squad available to him as we have used in the last two games (minus Benyon, who we bought in when Taylor was in charge). Try and win games and you might.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Probably because we cant afford to pay him off

Everyone knows why he went awol and 'ill' - (D)

Would be a disastrous move to bring him back

:red:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Probably because we cant afford to pay him off

Everyone knows why he went awol and 'ill' - (D)

Would be a disastrous move to bring him back

:red:
NOT a :goodpost: ...!! :@
Last edited by Gullscorer on 21 Apr 2013, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Not exactly overjoyed at this if it is true. I am firmly in the camp that Alan Knill should be offered the job and I think many fans feel the same. Certainly the ones I speak to anyway.

I just feel that our association with Martin Ling has run its course and it would be a step backwards for the club.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

What the current board lacks is experience in sacking managers. If (it should be when) it gains this experience, action to remedy an urgent and dire situation will be brutal and swift. Lessons from this season need to be learnt and learnt quick.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Good news as far as I'm concerned.

All the Board have to do now is offer him the same tools they offered Knill.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

As has been seen already this news is likely to split opinion amongst fans - I for one am far from happy about it (if true). Purely from a football point of view - in the last two games we have scored 3 and 2 goals respectively. Does anyone think we would have kept our noses in front with Ling's tactics on Tuesday night? I am sure we wouldn't have ended up so close to the drop zone had he not been taken ill but performances against the likes of Wimbledon and Harrogate gave me grave cause for concern. Sure, Knill has brought in Labadie and Chappel but Benyon has been the only regular new player since Ling departed. And yet, under Knill the team and dare I say the club has been completely freshened up. I know ranting and raving doesn't make a good manager but there is an energy under Knill which was completely lacking under ML - neither he or Taylor looked interested for long periods. I don't feel ML is the right character for our club. There has been much speculation about why he went sick but what has changed which means he can now come back?

For the first time in a long time it seemed things have been on the up and touch wood we have nearly secured our league status having looked like we were doomed. This news will take the shine off it for me because I will then worry about what's to come. Were we to get away with it on Saturday I would have hoped the board has learned some valuable lessons. But without someone with real experience or a director of football I fear they might make the same mistakes again. I don't know the ins and outs or the financial situation, but if true I find this news deeply concerning.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

:goodpost: (SG)

It is the board that made ML’s job so difficult.

AK has overseen a couple of streaky wins and is now hailed as some sort of Messiah. Get real people.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I agree with Dave and Yellow. Martin Ling has been ill, he is not a bad manager. He deserves our sympathy and respect. If he's back to full healh and fitness we should thank Alan Knill for all he has done and give Martin all our support for next season. Unlikely I dare say, but if Alan Knill could continue to be connected with the club in some capacity, so much the better.