The penny has finally dropped.....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

The penny has finally dropped.....

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

pity it took so bl**dy long!! :@

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 78781.aspx

planning for our future/livelihoods.....well done for spotting that - pity it took until the 17th April to sink in.......................
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Now now Super, let's not have any negativity around the place especially when all is looking up now. :na: :lol:

You're bloody right though! If they had played like their careers depended on it in just TWO more of our games this season then we'd already be safe. :@ :@

Not many of them HAVE futures here and not many of them SHOULD have futures here. Their jobs are to correct the wrongs they have caused and then leave in many cases. But we need them to put in one last herculean effort at Morecambe to prove to us that it's not just soundbites.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

AustrianBodinFan wrote:Now now Super, let's not have any negativity around the place especially when all is looking up now. :na: :lol:

You're bloody right though! If they had played like their careers depended on it in just TWO more of our games this season then we'd already be safe. :@ :@

Not many of them HAVE futures here and not many of them SHOULD have futures here. Their jobs are to correct the wrongs they have caused and then leave in many cases. But we need them to put in one last herculean effort at Morecambe to prove to us that it's not just soundbites.
they did andybodinlover - in the 2 games when they conceeded 90th mins equalisers - those 4pts would have us safe now! :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Chris, infact think most would agree. That said there are only 8 days and a few hours of this sorry and most forgetable season left for us to remain united to achieve one goal, football league safety.

Think the players will realise a win up at Morecambe and a defeat for either Barnet or Wimbledon will be enough for safety and put this whole sorry situation to bed, wish I could go Saturday but I am sure those who will, will once again be right behind the team, and hopefully the team will be right behind the fans.

The support of late has been fantastic, but I am sure come 5pm Saturday week there will be a few who will want to get things of their collective chests, and that indeed will be the right time for those who wish to.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I thought most people had been getting things off their chest throughout the season to be honest

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

AustrianBodinFan wrote:Now now Super, let's not have any negativity around the place especially when all is looking up now. :na: :lol:

I agree with most of what is being said here apart from that highlighted above. I would actually like to see most of our current squad remain next season. We know from there performances last season and the season before that they are good enough and we have seen in team performances since KnillBrass turned up that if managed in the right way and with the right tactics applied that they can compete against the best this division has to offer. Sure there are a few who should be let go but speaking of nil brass, can we really afford to let most of the squad go and then sign a whole new bunch of players in the summer?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I thought most people had been getting things off their chest throughout the season to be honest

;-)
Indeed Scott, however do not think we had the full monty just yet, after next Saturday we will soon see.. ;-)
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote:
I am sure come 5pm Saturday week there will be a few who will want to get things of their collective chests, and that indeed will be the right time for those who wish to.

Having said little to nowt about this season, I'll be one having my tuppence worth now I've got pneumonia off my chest. :nod:

What got me wound up at the Barnet match was someone said Stevens had been given a new 2 year contract, and as player/manager if we're in the Conference. :@

Then I realised they were joking.

They were joking, weren't they ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

Crikey, what an unfortunate article. I understand what Damon was saying, but to be quoted as saying 'these are the games' you want to be involved in and that on Saturday they will be looking for a win did make me grrrr a tad. Many non-professional players (not goalkeepers though) would give their right arm to have a professional club and want to be involved in EVERY bloody game. And really, looking for a win? C'mon Damon, maybe you've been misquoted, but you're on my naughty step for stating the obvious.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

To be fair to the players, often it's only when you finally arrive at the edge of the precipice that reality sinks in and produces the adrenelin and motivation you need to do something about it.

And the players themselves cannot have been happy with the way things have gone this season. For much of the time they had a sick manager in charge, which must have affected their levels of self-belief, confidence, motivation and team spirit, not to mention the decisions required in relation to team selection, formation and tactics.

It is to Alan Knill's credit that, notwithstanding the unfortunate recalls of the loan players, he has instilled into the team the necessary fighting spirit, which we saw on Tuesday. Now we must focus on finishing the job in the remaining two games, and leave all thoughts of who might or might not be here next season, until this season is over.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Penny droppage rather assumes that they've been losing deliberately. Once again, I find myself typing a reminder that, until Lingy went off sick, we were a perfectly ordinary side, looking at no point as though we would struggle, despite not playing especially well. Settled manager next year for the whole season, the stability which that will bring and all the other benefits too and we'll be back up at the right end of the division.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

of course it doesnt they have been losing deliberately matt. its the fact that its taken until now - with two games left that its sunk in.
as for edge of the precipice gullscorer the same applies. i would hope they arnt to happy with how things have gone and with application that was obviously apparent on tuesday night, our current situation could have easily been avoided.

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:Penny droppage rather assumes that they've been losing deliberately. Once again, I find myself typing a reminder that, until Lingy went off sick, we were a perfectly ordinary side, looking at no point as though we would struggle, despite not playing especially well. Settled manager next year for the whole season, the stability which that will bring and all the other benefits too and we'll be back up at the right end of the division.

Matt.
This bit Matt i strongly disagree with as you probably know, my belief is that huge alarm bells were ringing from October onwards with me especially and i have no doubt we would already be down by now if Ling were still here. Knill has managed to give us a bit of impetus but not a great deal but it may be enough to see us over the line. With Ling we'd have had ZERO extra impetus and those wins at home to Chesterfield, Barnet and York may have turned out to be draws under Ling. At least Knill has managed to get that tiny bit of motivation out of these players who now claim they have it. I agree with the last bit though mate, looking forward to next season in league 2 with some stability.

Did you get my message about the Morecambe voucher mate? I don't mind sending it to you as i won't be able to use it otherwise i'll give it Bengull or one of the others on saturday. I offered it to you on here free of charge as you were making a 'cheeky' bid for one for the princely sum of £3!! :clap:

Let me know anyway or i can give it to one of the lads on sat.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:of course it doesnt they have been losing deliberately matt. its the fact that its taken until now - with two games left that its sunk in.
as for edge of the precipice gullscorer the same applies. i would hope they arnt to happy with how things have gone and with application that was obviously apparent on tuesday night, our current situation could have easily been avoided.
I'm sure that it hasn't taken until now though, these players aren't stupid, or blind, or completely ignorant of how football works in terms of promotion and relegation.

Andy, you need to separate how we play for the results we were getting until Ling left. Have a look at Northampton. Ugliest, most anti-football I've ever seen, but it's working for them. It didn't matter that we were negative, boring and tedious to watch, we still got the results. Dinger's first game away was Jan 28th, when we were 6 points outside the playoffs with [at least] a game in hand. Sure, it wasn't like watching Brazil, but it worked.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

ferrarilover wrote: I'm sure that it hasn't taken until now though, these players aren't stupid, or blind, or completely ignorant of how football works in terms of promotion and relegation.

Andy, you need to separate how we play for the results we were getting until Ling left. Have a look at Northampton. Ugliest, most anti-football I've ever seen, but it's working for them. It didn't matter that we were negative, boring and tedious to watch, we still got the results. Dinger's first game away was Jan 28th, when we were 6 points outside the playoffs with [at least] a game in hand. Sure, it wasn't like watching Brazil, but it worked.

Matt.
reading the article makes it sound like that matt.

TUST Member 468