New Chairman/Chairwoman - Thea Bristow

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

New Chairman/Chairwoman - Thea Bristow

Post by WHG »

Rumours are that our chairman has stepped down/resigned/been dumped.
Hope it's true. Nice man bad chairman
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

If indeed thats true, Mr Alex Rowe back please.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Scapegoat and an easy target. Yes we are in the sh1t but should Simon shoulder all the blame for this?
IF true I hope he remains associated with the club as he holds TUFC very close to his heart and only wants the best for it.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Richinns wrote:Scapegoat and an easy target. Yes we are in the sh1t but should Simon shoulder all the blame for this?
IF true I hope he remains associated with the club as he holds TUFC very close to his heart and only wants the best for it.
easy target? when you are a chairman of a football club, this comes with the territory im afraid!
and yes he should take the blame! he actually stands on the terraces, watches what the fans watch and still couldnt see that we were dropping into the sh*t!
pity he didnt do it in december when we could have done something about it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Chris, Simon baker is the chairman, he saw what we saw, he makes the decisions and could have stepped in at any time, he had the power to change what what many of us saw was wrong, the club soon found some money when the penny finaly dropped.

Scapegoat, easy target. Was the banking crisis down the collective chairmen of the banks, who know the inter bank lending rates were being fixed and know their traders were running up debts and subprime lending was out of control, or was down to the lady who takes the money and stamps the paying in book.
Last edited by Dave on 09 Apr 2013, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:easy target? when you are a chairman of a football club, this comes with the territory im afraid!
and yes he should take the blame! he actually stands on the terraces, watches what the fans watch and still couldnt see that we were dropping into the sh*t!
pity he didnt do it in december when we could have done something about it.
There is more than 1 person involved in those decisions though? We have no idea what goes on in the board room do we? He might be the focal point but in no way is the sole decision maker.
There is a vast number of factors involved in us dropping faster than gravity - not least the manager and the players who have far from performed to their levels they are capable of or paid to do so.
TUST member 328
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

rich, hes the chairman. the buck stops with him.
as i and dave have said - hes seen it himself and ultimately was in the position do to most about it.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep but if you have say 4 on the board in favour and 4 against a decision the chairman has the casting vote/final decision, as said the chairman is the one who can make a decision happen and equaly make it fail.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

forevertufc wrote:Yep but if you have say 4 on the board in favour and 4 against a decision the chairman has the casting vote/final decision, as said the chairman is the one who can make a decision happen and equaly make it fail.
How do you know this was the case? How do we know the board did not vote against Simon's views?

Yes - questions need to be asked about the board (and Simon) for failing to act but for me bigger questions need to be asked as to why players (who are paid handsomely) have not performed and as to why the manager applied certain tactics and how the situation of him having to leave for a stress related illness has occurred.

As I said - Simon is an easy target and some of the things written on here about him lately has been simply shocking.
TUST member 328
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I can see both sides. Rich, i tend to side with your arguments about it being the players and management that have got us into this sh*t. It was obvious from October onwards that Lings tactics were failing and performances were becoming more and more turgid and ineffective ( if this was possible ). I just think that Ling and the players got into some sort of rut that they couldn't get out and nobody knows why as these were the same players who had began the season ok and were near the play offs in September.

The only thing i blame the board for is not acting quickly enough or decisively enough when it REALLY mattered and perhaps it is best he goes because of this. We needed leadership and strong decision making which would easily have turned our season around. We didn't get it and he has to take the blame for that.

I blame all three to varying degrees, the chairman, the manager and the players. A combination of comedies that could have been avoided but weren't.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

if that was the case rich, he should have resigned before - and not waited until now.
and the players in our team arnt the only ones that have underperformed - you could say that they overperformed last season.

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:I can see both sides. Rich, i tend to side with your arguments about it being the players and management that have got us into this sh*t. It was obvious from October onwards that Lings tactics were failing and performances were becoming more and more turgid and ineffective ( if this was possible ). I just think that Ling and the players got into some sort of rut that they couldn't get out and nobody knows why as these were the same players who had began the season ok and were near the play offs in September.

The only thing i blame the board for is not acting quickly enough or decisively enough when it REALLY mattered and perhaps it is best he goes because of this. We needed leadership and strong decision making which would easily have turned our season around. We didn't get it and he has to take the blame for that.

I blame all three to varying degrees, the chairman, the manager and the players. A combination of comedies that could have been avoided but weren't.

and thats the point andy.
numerous opportunities missed. baker could have come out and stated the facts - all we got were "we are doing fine"

TUST Member 468

tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Quite honestly i am astounded that I have seen no visibility of the board in rallying fans for what is surely one of our most important games this season. There's no point posting something Friday afternoon at 2.00pm - you have to create buzz and hum and that should have happened yesterday first thing. I lost a lot of faith in Mr Baker away at the Aldershot game when the fans turned to him and said "Does Taylor know what he is doing?" only to receive an answer "No I don't think he does!"

Having a fan as Chairman is one thing, having a strong head for business and character are something else. I want a real leader in charge as many fans have said Torquay seemed to be a soft touch over the last couple of seasons.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Richinns wrote:Scapegoat and an easy target. Yes we are in the sh1t but should Simon shoulder all the blame for this?
I agree with this. He is a figurehead for the board. They are all culpable.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

hector wrote: I agree with this. He is a figurehead for the board. They are all culpable.
thats the thing. figurehead. chairman.
the bottom line is its down to him - if it isnt, why bother having a chairman?
and if he was voted into the role, then that was a mistake by the board - but decisions are still down to him as figurehead and chairman.

TUST Member 468