Conference Watch

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Conference Watch

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Don't worry, this is ot a thread about us and going down, it's a thread about who we want to see come up / stay down or even go down from the conference for anybody who keeps a keen interest in conference football. Obviously we will still be in league 2 come next season :~D so we can pick 2 teams who we would like to see come up.

For those of a more negative disposition ( which usually includes me ) then feel free to amend your preferences as though we are already a conference team. If we don't win any of our next 4 games then i shall be doing this. :'(

I thought i'd post this in light of Mansfield Town's 2-1 win away at Forest Green Rovers last night, their 9th successive win, which takes them 3 points clear of Wrexham. Mansfield is a stones throw from me and i am hoping that they get automatic. From the play offs i would hope to see Grimsby join the Stags in league 2 but i'd settle for Wrexham, Macclesfield or Kidderminster. Forest Green Rovers at a push but i definately don't want Newport to come up.

Come on the Stags and the Codheads!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

im with you madman - the stags and the cod heads!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

SuperNickyWroe wrote:im with you madman - the stags and the cod heads!

:rofl: :bow:

Codheads lost at home to Cambridge which leaves the Stags top by 2 points with a game in hand.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I want Wrexham to come up purely because I got them promoted to League 2 beating Fleetwood 4-0 in the play off final on Football Manager 12 a while ago :~D
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Accrington, York to go down (two long northern journeys less). :clap:

Newport, FGR (Forest Green Rovers, not Federal German Republic) to come up (two more "local derbies" ;-))
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Trojan 67 wrote:Accrington, York to go down (two long northern journeys less). :clap:

Newport, FGR (Forest Green Rovers, not Federal German Republic) to come up (two more "local derbies" ;-))
typical torquay based fan! :@

agree about accrington as its a dive, but id prefer the shots or barnet (or best case scenario) the gargs to go down.

yorks lovely....... :)

as for newport or FGR - cant see that happening - FGR have dropped off lately and newport are a bit hit and miss
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: typical torquay based fan! :@

:nod:

:lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tonight
kidderminster top! :-o they beat newport away.
grimsby lose again
the big game wrexham v mansfield was P-P.

TUST Member 468

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

For those interested in who is coming up.
Wrexham v Grumsby Town (Chris Hargreaves old club). Are Live on Telly on S4C 7:30 pm on Sunday.
I know it only Conference and Welsh which won't generaly excite those down in Devon but it is a game at grass roots level and give us an idea of who is coming up to our league next season.(yes i think we will be in league two now. COYY
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glostergull wrote:For those interested in who is coming up.
Wrexham v Grumsby Town (Chris Hargreaves old club). Are Live on Telly on S4C 7:30 pm on Sunday.
I know it only Conference and Welsh which won't generaly excite those down in Devon but it is a game at grass roots level and give us an idea of who is coming up to our league next season.(yes i think we will be in league two now. COYY
might watch that glos.

should be a cracker! :devil:

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'll watch that GG, cheers for that mate. It sure beatsthe other things on telly on sunday night, OUR GIRL, on BBC1, a drama about a girl who joins the Army - can't f*cking wait for that one. BBC2 Best of Top Gear, loads of bullsh*t about cars hosted by possibly the most hated man in telly. It's a car, it's got 4 wheels, made of metal and it gets you from A to B - that's all that f*cking matters!!!!

ITV, Foyles War. Someone pass me the shotgun please. C4, Celebrity Deal or No Deal which would be a laugh a minute if the 'celebs' opened the box and out jumped a pop up banner with the words, "NOBODY F*CKING KNOWS WHO YOU ARE!!!"

On Channel5 is nothing. They do broadcast programmes but they are just endless nothingness or CSI this and CSI that. Can't they make a CSI Newton Abbot? That would be interesting but not as interesting as Wrexham play in welsh!! :goal:
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

austrianandygull wrote: On Channel5 is nothing. They do broadcast programmes but they are just endless nothingness or CSI this and CSI that. Can't they make a CSI Newton Abbot? That would be interesting but not as interesting as Wrexham play in welsh!! :goal:
CSI Newtown Abbot would be terrible. THey'd never catch anybody.

There are no dental records and all of the DNA is the same.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

happytorq wrote: CSI Newtown Abbot would be terrible. THey'd never catch anybody.

There are no dental records and all of the DNA is the same.

:lol: :rofl: :bow:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Kiddi are a seriously good Conference side.

Went to watch then at home to Dartford a while ago and they tore the Darts a new arsehole 5-1 from 1-1 at HT.

They conned Fleetwood into ponying up some extortionate fee for Jamille Matt (a fool[ish Chairman] and his money and all that), haven't missed him and have gone from strength to strength. Have enormously fond memories of knocking 5 past them in the Conference with Hinshelwood scoring from inside his own half.

Grimsby looked nailed on, but it seems that the permanent acquisition of Ross Hannah didn't quite have the desired effect. It seems an awful away goalscoring record will hold them back this time round.

Luton have, despite all their bluster and willy waving, failed entirely to sustain a promotion challenge once again. Dear Plymouth Argyle, have a look at LTFC and see if you think the Conference has any more respect for attendances or prestige than the Football League...

At the other end, it's somewhat nice to see Ebbsfleet and their 40,000 fans doing quite so badly.

The demise of Lincoln FC continues apace. Muzzy Carayol must have pictures of the Middlesbrough Chairman doing naughty things to a goat, because he wasn't even a stand out member of that Lincoln squad. Weirdest transfer ever.

Sorry, sorry Stockport also look in danger of heading down to the amateur leagues, no great loss, the Manchester area does not need any more clubs than it already has. Plus, any "professional" club which fails to get a game played three times, then has to borrow a neighbours ground doesn't really deserve the title.

Aside from that, not a lot going on in the Conference to interest me, since FGR were never really going to be quite good enough to escape and give us another relatively local game.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

ferrarilover wrote:Kiddi are a seriously good Conference side.

Went to watch then at home to Dartford a while ago and they tore the Darts a new arsehole 5-1 from 1-1 at HT.

They conned Fleetwood into ponying up some extortionate fee for Jamille Matt (a fool[ish Chairman] and his money and all that), haven't missed him and have gone from strength to strength. Have enormously fond memories of knocking 5 past them in the Conference with Hinshelwood scoring from inside his own half.

Grimsby looked nailed on, but it seems that the permanent acquisition of Ross Hannah didn't quite have the desired effect. It seems an awful away goalscoring record will hold them back this time round.

Luton have, despite all their bluster and willy waving, failed entirely to sustain a promotion challenge once again. Dear Plymouth Argyle, have a look at LTFC and see if you think the Conference has any more respect for attendances or prestige than the Football League...

At the other end, it's somewhat nice to see Ebbsfleet and their 40,000 fans doing quite so badly.

The demise of Lincoln FC continues apace. Muzzy Carayol must have pictures of the Middlesbrough Chairman doing naughty things to a goat, because he wasn't even a stand out member of that Lincoln squad. Weirdest transfer ever.

Sorry, sorry Stockport also look in danger of heading down to the amateur leagues, no great loss, the Manchester area does not need any more clubs than it already has. Plus, any "professional" club which fails to get a game played three times, then has to borrow a neighbours ground doesn't really deserve the title.Aside from that, not a lot going on in the Conference to interest me, since FGR were never really going to be quite good enough to escape and give us another relatively local game.

Matt.
:lol:

Ha, i know, friggin' losers! I was halfway there when they called the first game off and i went to the eventual game at Macc. Worth waiting for though! :)