Torquay United v Wycombe Wanderers - 26/2/12

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Wycombe Wanderers - 26/2/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Perhaps it is a bit too premature with still 13 games left to go to say that this game is a 'must win' but if we are to kick-start our season and harbour real hopes of avoiding a relegation scrap to the death then i believe this game is just that. A win and we can go to Accrington on saturday with renewed confidence and belief that we can take the game to them and get a positive result. The visitors to Plainmoor on tuesday night are the Chairboys of Wycombe Wanderers and if there was ever a team to play when you're struggling for goals it is them, they have by far the worst away defensive record in the division and have gone 18 games without a 0-0 draw. The Gulls misfiring strikers must take full advantage of this and no excuses. No claiming for a penalty here and a penalty there, no decrying great goalkeeping or poor finishing. Just create chances and stick the ball in the onion bag, the time for understanding and sympathy has now gone. We need goals, we need characters, we need leaders. We need points.

New Gulls interim boss Alan Knill took over the helm for his first game, the 1-0 home defeat to Port Vale hoping to instill some confidence, belief and positivity into United's play and to some extent he was successful; however, there is still a mountain to climb and Knill is all too aware of this i'm sure. He will have seen the performance against Port Vale and with some tweaking and some improvement which can be expected, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to beat the men from Buckinghamshire.

Wycombe themselves found themselves in a spot of trouble at the foot of the table earlier on in the season but have turned things around under the stewardship of player manager Gareth Ainsworth and they now lie in 15th place on 42 points and should be safe barring a complete Torquay-esque collapse in form. They can be a bit unpredictable as they have beaten Gillingham, Fleetwood and Rotherham away from Adams Park so they have the ability to beat the better teams in the league, it's just they lose to the sh*t ones so we should be ok. :)

The reverse fixture ended in a 2-1 victory for Wycombe predictably as at the time they couldn't buy a win and looked a really poor side. We rocked up at Adams Park and despite Rene Howe pulling a goal out of nowhere to cancel out Gary Doherty's 33rd minute header just before half time, Ling thought it was job done so we sat back, let them have the ball and play like Brazil and they got the winner. We made an awful side look amazing that day and it was up there with the worst Torquay performances of all time. :'(

Dean Morgan, who got the winner that day was on a short term loan deal from Chesterfield but he has signed a contract until the end of the season.He has 8 goals in all competitions and is their joint second top scorer along with English-born Jamaican Joel Grant. Grant was added to the Wycombe squad in the summer of 2011 on a free after his release from Crewe. Crewe signed him from Aldershot for £130,000 which then represented a club record fee for the Hampshire club.

Other striking options for the Chairboys include Matt McClure who IS their top scorer with 9 goals in all competitions. He has recently been tied down to the club until 2015. They can call upon ex-Gulls trickster Jo Kuffour who i had the privelege of watching in my first ever season of supporting Torquay. He made 148 appearances for the mighty yellows. He has only 2 goals this season but is often used as a substitute. Dennis Oli, the former Gills man is also an option although he hasn't really had a look in this season and is yet to score and likewise youth prospect Olly Taylor who is one for the future.

In the middle of the park they have Portuguese on loan QPR winger Bruno Andrade who has scored twice in 20 appearances for Wanderers, Sam Wood who spent nearly 4 years at Brentford before being signed last summer. Matt Spring is also an experienced player that Ainsworth likes to play regularly and he has had more sides than Jonny Vegas at a Frankie & Benny's. :Z They also have Josh Scowen who could return after serving a suspension for picking up 10 bookings, Stewart Lewis, Matt Bloomfield , Ivorian Georges Ehui and not forgetting to mention the man who is older than God, Gareth Ainsworth. "He's older than God, he's older than Gooooooooooooood! Gareth Ainsworth, he's older than God!" :na:

Cracking player though and has done one hell of a job thus far so full marks to the lad, errr bloke, errrr old bloke. ( Sh*t! If he is technically deemed as old, then i'm well on my way to the wrinkles! I'm only 4 years younger! :( Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! ). I'll have to get some of that cosmetic stuff that women get to make them look 10 years younger. It doesn't work mind but women don't know that. If you bottled some fox poo and mixed it with scent of elderflower, labelled it Foxyflower and claimed it would get rid of wrinkles and make you look like Tulisa then i guarantee they would buy it. Moisturise as normal like we all do but if you're getting old then you're getting old and there's nothing you can do about it. There are no magic potions and no quick fixes, just lots of money to be made by cosmetics companies. Have plastic surgery or botox by all means but i don't know of ANY celeb who doesn't look like a freak once they've had it done. :nod:

Anyway, on to the Wycombe defence. I certainly hope they don't apply foundation before games or indeed have a nail studio inside the dressing room. I know they certainly don't have a hairdressers in there as Ainsworth has banned them. Joking really, i used to have hair like Ainsworths but it got too greasy and i looked like Jesus (even though he didn't exist but i looked like the fictional Jesus). I had it all lopped off and now i look like a suspect from Crimewatch! I've nothing against long hair in blokes so long as they wash it regularly. I hope you do with yours Bix! :lol: What product? Wash n Go? Head n Shoulders? Again, short hair in women just doesn't look right either. It looked ok on Sigourney Weaver but she turned out to be an Alien.

Where was i? Oh yes, the Wycombe defence. I may be doing them a dis-service and highlight my lack of knowledge about bits of league 2 football but there are a few of them i have not really heard of and have no idea what they are like. Charles Dunne, Anthony Stewart, Dave Winfield, Michael Harriman who is on loan from QPR, Grenadian Leon Johnson, Antigua & Barbuda defender Marvin McCoy and Grant Basey who is the only one i know a little about.

I'm sure lot's of us know about their goalkeeper though. Step forward Mr Jordan Archer, oh sorry, you can't can you because you have a disability which causes your feet to become stuck in the ground rendering you almost immobile when taking goal kicks. The condition is a new one to the medical profession and bizarrely it seems to be exacerbated when Wycombe are ahead in games or drawing and under the cosh. I seem to recall that there was only one other 'keeper afflicted with this same disability and that was Jose Veiga at Macclesfield Town. His was the worst the doctors had seen as his feet became stuck even when Macc were behind! So, so sad for these lads it really is. So just a message of support for Archer for tuesday night, kick the ball within the time allocated or F*CK OFF FROM FOOTBALL!!! You are not wanted. :@ :@ :@

For those of you that aren't aware, Archer seriously riled a lot of our fans for some abhorrent timewasting during our game at Adams Park in October. I was there and it was shockingly bad. This same goalkeeper was the one attacked on the pitch by the Gillingham fan recently for guess what? Timewasting. I don't condone random attacks on goalkeepers but it doesn't half wind people up. I don't mind a bit of gamesmanship and a bit of trying to gain an advantage but this guy must have seriously wasted about 7 or 8 minutes which the ref didn't add on. He was booked by the ref in our game after being spoken to time and time again BEFORE the booking and AFTER the booking and part of the problem is weak refs. If i was the ref i'd have spoken to him and given him a warning, booked him the second time and the third time sent him off. It really is that simple and i don't know why refs are so weak and cause issues that shouldn't arise if they ref with honesty and common sense.

Anyway, expect loads of timewasting from Archer on tuesday even it is 0-0. It's a shame too as he looked like a really decent 'keeper. He is on loan from Spurs and has signed until 2015 but IMO he should sign for Wycombe permanently as he hasn't a hope in hell of playing in the Premier League. :rofl:

Last time out they lost 2-1 at home to Saafend and this is the line up:

1. Jordan Archer (gk)
2. Dave Winfield
3. Charles Dunne
4. Michael Harriman ( on loan from QPR )
5. Anthony Stewart
6. Stewart Lewis
7. Matt Spring
8. Sam Wood
9. Joel Grant
10. Dean Morgan
11. McClure

SUBS: Lee Harrison (gk) UNUSED, Marvin McCoy UNUSED, Kortney Hause UNUSED, Gareth Ainsworth UNUSED, Bruno Andrade ( on for Grant on 89 mins ), Dennis Oli UNUSED, Jo Kuffour ( on for Morgan on 77 mins ).

There will probably be a sub 2000 attendance at Plainmoor for this one given it is a night game, Wycombe won't bring too many although i hope the ones that do come at least have a go at creating an atmosphere. My last game at Plainmoor was the Northampton one and they could have put mannequins in the away end and they would have made more noise. They didn't even move. I know it is bloody freezing but i urge you all to make the effort and go. Get behind the lads in this because they need our support and this game is winnable and critical in our season. If we can somehow get 3 points from this then we will have all played our part and i am confident we will do so. So for all you floaters that may be reading and those that haven't been much because we've been sh*t this season, treat this game as a one off, treat this game as the beginning of something that we are all in together and you can be part of it. Treat this game as one which we can win and let's all file into Plainmoor on tuesday night in expectation now rather than desperate hope. Desperate hope didn't get anyone anywhere and i certainly don't want the players feeling that in this one. I want the players to get out there despite what has gone on before with the expectation that they will get the 3 points from this.

My situation regarding attending this game is that i am currently 90% sure of being there. I have had my ticket for the bench booked for weeks and my hotel was booked 2 months ago. My partner has a couple of days off to look after the young 'un and so it should be all systems go. Well, i've been looking after my toddler for the past 2 weeks who has had a virus and tonsillitis and i too got them both but recovered a few days ago. If you've got kids then you'll know that they fetch into the house all diseases and illnesses known to man and if you have a crappy immune system like mine then the two together don't make a happy team. Today i am starting to feel a bit sh*tty again and so i am so hoping that my luck holds and i'm just run down and i'll be fine to make the near 550 mile round trip for this one. I'll be REALLY screwed off if i can't make this after all the planning and i can't get the cash back for my hotel and ticket either but if i look on the positive side, there are people out there battling serious illness and conditions and my whining is trivial when it comes to what they face each day so i have that to be thankful for.

I need to be in fine fettle for this one AND for Accrington on saturday because even if you don't feel ill before you go to Accrington you almost certainly will when you get there! If i'm not 100% at Accrington it could be the longest day of my entire life.

I've just got to go for a 3-1 win to us in this. If we get at them we can score and we are well overdue some good fortune and a scintillating performance. I reckon they will score and to win we need to score first but let's just play with intensity and belief and eventually we'll break the door down so to speak.

At the very least there are some fans who escape my company, Bengull on the pop, i'm going in the bench so you avoid my company for 90 minutes mate :clap: although i need the merchandise outside before you go in. Shhhhhhhhhhhh, and also Dave forever who can't make it for this. It is the first home game he has missed for six years and i was going to meet him again in B&L for a pre-match drink and banter. His lad has got a trial so he can't make it, yeah, tell me owt Dave! :lol:

Anyway, their forum is http://www.gasroom.co.uk and it's basically an unordered bloody mess! Not sure if there is another one though.

Finally just a parental advisory warning. We play Accrington next week and the TOWN OF THE DAY and other references to the place may be considered over the top. For this i apologise in advance, i'm not going mental just tell the truth and if i offend anyone i'm sorry. Much of it will be meant in banter but i really DO despise the town, the area and the ground and i can't apologise for that. If you haven't been then it may be difficult to comprehend how somewhere could be that bad but my advice would be to go and then review your opinions in light of your visit. It should be condemned.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED THIS!!! :scarf: :scarf:

GIVE US WHAT WE DESERVE! WE'VE FORKED OUT SH*TLOADS OF MONEY TO WATCH YOU THIS SEASON AND YOU HAVEN'T BEEN FAIR TO US. SHOW US THAT YOU APPRECIATE US BY BRUSHING WYCOMBE ASIDE AND PLAYING LIKE WE KNOW YOU CAN. JUST SCORE LOTS OF GOALS AND DON'T LET ANY IN, SIMPLES!!! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Quick note, when i said that Dave forever's lad has a trial on tuesday night i mean a footballing one. He hasn't been arrested for anything to my knowledge. :~D

Sorry Dave!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Indeed Andy the reason why I can not make Tuesday was going to be kept under my hat, but you told all :Oops: Oh well now it is out he has an initial 2 week trial for a pro club ( who is not important right now) under 16 squad, sadly not Torquay, it is important I support him in that, but will shouting from a far..COYY.. :scarf:

Oh forgot to say am a S/T holder as is my lad so the club are only losing our voices Tuesday, not our money, and after Saturday fancy a win here.
Last edited by Dave on 24 Feb 2013, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I do love your match threads Andy, they're completely verbal diarrhoea but in a good way!

Congrats to your lad too, F'rev.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Dave, i've sent you a PM. SORRY!! Had no idea!! :'(
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:Dave, i've sent you a PM. SORRY!! Had no idea!! :'(
plonker. =D

again. :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

forevertufc wrote:Indeed Andy the reason why I can not make Tuesday was going to be kept under my hat, but you told all :Oops: Oh well now it is out he has an initial 2 week trial for a pro club ( who is not important right now) under 16 squad, sadly not Torquay, it is important I support him in that, but will shouting from a far..COYY.. :scarf:

Oh forgot to say am a S/T holder as is my lad so the club are only losing our voices Tuesday, not our money, and after Saturday fancy a win here.

Glad its come out to be honest,,, thought he might be up for murder or something after I read andys post.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lol, look as said to Andy via pm, the only reason I wanted to keep under my hat at the moment, is he is only got 2 weeks to start with for assessment, if he shows enough ability, shows the right attitude and above all as he is at u16 level confidence he will then get another 4 weeks were he will pretty much have to prove he is better than what they already have. So it is a lot of work and pressure on the young lad, and he knows there is an awful lot of water to go under the bridge before he gets to the point were they might sign him, Torquay let him go at 13 so he has already had rejection it is so tough for young lads trying to make it in game.

If he gets signed I will reveal all, and thanks Cambgull my lad will have read that and he is well up for it, even if it not his first choice club.
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'm sure there are plenty of players who don't get into their first choice club. It's more down to how a club brings their players through. Perhaps this will be a blessing in disguise.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

A lot of it is about attitude and willingness Dave and if he applies himself then i'm sure he'll have no problems. When i trialled for Hull City and Scarborough i didn't apply myself and never made it. Sure i could score goals but wasn't prepared to do much else and when you are competing with loads of other lads who can score goals but 'look' industrious then they get noticed. I can't really comment on the goalkeeping position as it is different to being an outfield player but just tell him to have confidence and belief, communicate and get involved as much as he can. I'm sure he will be absolutely fine and hope he does well enough to get where he wants to be. As for me, i'm now overweight, can hardly run without needing an ambulance, mid 30's, have tonsillitis and have irritable bowel syndrome. As someone who never made it as a footballer in the end, life couldn't have worked out better! :)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I forgot the match officials. The ref for this one is IAIN WILLIAMSON who i must confess to having no recollections of, his assistants are DANIEL COOK and MARK DERRIEN and the 4th official is SIMON LONG.

Let's have a few penalties chaps! ( for us obviously )
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Great OP and best of luck to the lad having a trial with a pro club. WE really ought to win tomorrow and indeed we have to. A defeat does not bear thinking about. Not sure what our club record is for consecutive defeats but another one would surely take us near it.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

forevertufc wrote:Lol, look as said to Andy via pm, the only reason I wanted to keep under my hat at the moment, is he is only got 2 weeks to start with for assessment, if he shows enough ability, shows the right attitude and above all as he is at u16 level confidence he will then get another 4 weeks were he will pretty much have to prove he is better than what they already have. So it is a lot of work and pressure on the young lad, and he knows there is an awful lot of water to go under the bridge before he gets to the point were they might sign him, Torquay let him go at 13 so he has already had rejection it is so tough for young lads trying to make it in game.

If he gets signed I will reveal all, and thanks Cambgull my lad will have read that and he is well up for it, even if it not his first choice club.

Hi Dave, hope it goes really well for your lad. I'll keep it all crossed for him mate :)
Oblivion!!!!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Wycombe haven't won a league game at Plainmoor yet. Lets hope it stays that way!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Wasn't going to post this as i know everyone will take the p*ss at my misfortune but sadly i WON'T be in attendance for this one after all. My 3 year old and myself have been battling tonsillitis for weeks and i've been trying to keep my little one as comfortable as possible. She is now improving and i myself was too, i even felt well enough to go the Rochdale game last week but the bloody thing has come back and it's wiped me out totally again. If you can imagine watching back to back episodes of Bargain Hunt then you will get a perspective of the pain i'm feeling right now.

It has totally p*ssed me off and out of the 3 games i have planned to go to this season at Plainmoor i have only made one. I missed the 4-3 Aldershot game in October also due to illness ( cue immense merriment at my expense there too :'( ). I am now missing the Wycombe one tomorrow despite it being booked and planned since December. At the end of the day i'm ill, my body is doomed and it certainly won't be the last time this happens given my track record but all i can do is thank God that my daughter is on the mend and try and get myself a bit better so i can make Accrington on saturday.

Obviously if i lived in Devon then i would have quite gladly given somebody my ticket for the bench free of charge and unless any of our northern based Gulls want it and want to pick it up on the way down then it will sadly go to waste. On the off chance if anyone wants it and can collect then PM me. It's one ticket for the bench.

I know i'll get some hammer for being as luckless as farm animals on the continent but i can take it! :na:

At the very least i am trying to get to more and more home games each season and support the team and the club and whenever i do come down i always spend in the club shop, might go in B&L for a drink, buy a programme and a 50/50 draw ticket too. Have mercy on my soul, i am lower than todays teenagers jeans.

For what it's worth i am very upset and as i am now NOT going you are GUARANTEED a stormer, 5-0 to us and we rip them apart. You laugh but it will happen. I've lost my hotel money and ticket money but i'd swap them for the 3 points tomorrow night. COYY!!! Sorry for letting the side down. :'(