Herald Express wants YOU.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Herald Express wants YOU.

Post by bengull »

The Herald Express has comissioned a page a week to be written by Torquay United fans, and are looking for as many contributors as possible.

I shall be writing articles regularly but the purpose is for as many opinions/ memories/ stories to be shared as possible. There are some excellent posters on here, and some extremely knowledgable fans, I really hope some of you will consider writing and making this feature a success.

The aim of the page is to 'support' the club positively, leave all negative opinions on here, where they belong. The Herald is not looking at giving fans an opportunity to bash the club through this feature, they are looking for positive nostalgia that is topical and relevant to the teams we are playing or returning players etc etc, as well as regular features such as 'all time favourite XI's' and 'Top 5s,' so plenty of scope for debate, as well as a bit of fun.

It shall be run via the Herald Express under the name #hegulls, hoping that regular tweeters will also join in.

Details here. http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Calli ... z2L0YJ5xhg

Come on guys, give it a thought!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Top 5 Defeats

1) Grays Athletic 2 Torquay 0. Bright Sunny Day, Mikkel Andersen in goal is dire and we lose 2-0 to a pub team in front of predominantly our fans.
2) Torquay 1 Exeter 4, 2 nil up on aggregate with 20mins to go, let 4 goals in as only we can.
3) Torquay 0 Harrogate 1, we manage to lose and not score against a side struggling in Blue Square Division Mong
4) Torquay 0 Farsley 1 we lose at home against a place I'm not sure even exists. Narnia away was the week after and hard fought 0-0 always a tough place to go.
5) Eastbourne 4 Torquay 2 LOL @ losing to a speedway team.
Last edited by royalgull on 19 Feb 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

[quote="royalgull"]Top 5 Defeats

1) Grays Athletic 2 Torquay 0. Bright Sunny Day, Mikkel Andersen in goal is dire and we lose 2-0 to a pub team in front of predominantly our fans.
quote]

Also notable for Jody Banim's debut, unless I am mistaken. The worst footballer to play for a professional team since Ali Dia convinced Harry Redknapp that he was George Weah's cousin!

Good on you Bengull for giving it a go. Your reports on here are excellent - I am sure you will show the Yellow Army in a good light.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:Top 5 Defeats

2) Torquay 1 Exeter 4, 2 nil up on aggregate with 20mins to go, let 4 goals in as only we can.
3) Torquay 0 Harrogate 1, we manage to lose and not score against a side struggling in Blue Square Division Mong
4) Torquay 0 Farsley 1 we lose at home against a place I'm not sure even exists.
5) Eastbourne 4 Torquay 2 LOL @ losing to a speedway team.
:rofl:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Correct! Soon the fans were screaming 'Ban'im from the ground'

That was an enjoyable 2 or 3 days watching us lose at grays before making the commute on an ice cold monday night to Plainmoor to see Andersen chuck another 2 in and lose to aldershot in the last minute.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

My favourite trip to Grays (well there's only been 2 of them and they were both appalling) was the year after, we won 1-0 in the last minute with a diving header by Wayne Carlisle, it was played in monsoon conditions with a wind so strong it was blowing goal kicks out of play for throw ins, barely outside either keepers penalty area. Really helped Bevs kicking that night!!

anyway around 150 Gulls started out on the terrace behind the goal by the end all had seeked cover apart from me, Paul Ba$tard and a couple of blokes at the back to witness Carlisle's header hit the net. #SoakedtotheCoreWhenTheGullsScore

Random point the ground at Grays has since been knocked down and turned into housing, a very peculiar ground built surrounded fully by houses in the first place and situated in the worst place in the world. Grays is that bad that the people of Baghdad are holding a rock concert for them.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

From Jody Banim's Wikipedia page, "He started 10 games for Torquay and decided against an offered contract for the following season." A near miss!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

PhilGull wrote:From Jody Banim's Wikipedia page, "He started 10 games for Torquay and decided against an offered contract for the following season." A near miss!
To focus on his other role as Rik Waller's body-double
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

BUMP. (and apologies for shameless plugging)

Second #hegulls column hit the sports pages of the Herald Express today including this from me:
http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/burge ... z2MDpLz6yT

...and an all time best XI from our very own Danny. Great work Dan.

This is a column for all fans, with the intention on keeping things positive and nostalgic. Fans of all ages and locations can contribute, all contributions will be read and considered.

Some great writers and knowledgeable writers here, so to get involved with an article on anything to do with TUFC please email:

[email protected].

Cheers.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Two worst defeats (joint in their heroic crapness) for me are the second half capitulation against the greasers and the debacle at Old Trafford.

Both awful for many many reasons.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

One of my worst memories of a defeat besides those others Steve was at Morecambe the other year when we were 1-0 up through Kee who scored with about 10 to go and then they got 2 penalties in the last 5 minutes which they both scored and won 2-1. That tw*t Duffy came to the Torquay crowd arms out giving it large and it nearly set me off, there were a few 'disagreements' shall we say with myself / mate and some of the Morecambe fans coming out of the ground too. That defeat really stuck in my memory.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

My 'Gulls dream team' is in the HE this week! Unfortunately, Jason Fowler is in there twice, it's supposed to be Martin (Buster) Phillips on the wing! Hopefully an article of mine on my day with the media team will be in there next week, I have sent an email about the idea and see what happens.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Check out my article in the '#hegulls' collumn!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

nice one dan will look out for out.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

the lame performance and defeat at Colchester when a win would've kept us up was the one that made me most angry, not often I lose my temper at a match, but the display and passion from the team that day made my blood boil, still does!
still keeping the faith