Aldershot vs Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

Aldershot vs Torquay

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The Gulls travel to Aldershot tomorrow with the onus on ensuring that they do not lose the match. 3 points would be huge, to reinstate the 9 point gap between ourselves and the bottom two, while a loss would be a travesty, and it would really pull us in the mire (if you didn't already think we were). Saturdays disappointing result at Rochdale saw us slip down to 19th, just 6 points above our hosts tomorrow night, who sit the wrong side of the dotted line. Aldershot picked up a good point at Cheltenham on Saturday, without playing particularly well it seems. Shots fans seem to have little confidence in Dean Holdsworth to turn it around and get them enough points to ensure League survival.

As for ourselves, we still look a bit lost without a leader at the moment. I'd like to think someone will be in before Saturday, as it's looking unlikely that anyone will be announced before tomorrow night. Aaron Downes and Lee Mansell both picked up knocks on Saturday, so we could see Angus MacDonald and Craig Easton deputise if those two don't make it. I'd very much expect Taylor to stay with what he knows, even if it isn't working, which would mean Elliot Benyon would stay on the bench again.

The referee for the match is Mick Russell, and more can be found on him here.

I anticipate there being around 250/300 Gulls fans up at the EBB, and lets hope we're 3 points better off when they make their journey home!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I'm going as it's fairly local to me, 2-0 loss.

Instead of predicting scores/goals/ goalscorers I'm going for amount of shots we have in 90minutes and i'm going for 3. 1 on target which Stephen Hawking would comfortably save.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Sigh
"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse...."

Life as a Torquay Fan feels very much like this at the moment!

I feel as about as confident going into this one as Oscar Pistorius does about his not guilty plea!!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Reckon we'll be alright, Rene owes us a goal after his stupid chip on Saturday!! 2-0 Gulls, Howe scoring early doors and Benners coming on to secure all 3 points!! - I'm not drunk, honest!! :)
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'll be on the back step. Expecting either a 0-0 or a thrashing to be honest. Still, with Howe in the team, brings me a little bit of confidence.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

tktufc91 wrote:I'll be on the back step. Expecting either a 0-0 or a thrashing to be honest. Still, with Howe in the team, brings me a little bit of confidence.
With the way our luck is running at the moment we will be lucky to get nil
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I'm going, ummmm.... Its only about 10 mins from where I work so its hardly a trek :)

So wheres everyone going for a pre match pint?

Draw for me but hard earnt.
TUST MEMBER
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Aldershot to win 5/4... yum yum
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Neal wrote:I'm going, ummmm.... Its only about 10 mins from where I work so its hardly a trek :)

So wheres everyone going for a pre match pint?

Draw for me but hard earnt.
Can't remember the name of the pub but it's the one up the hill nearest the away end. That's where I will be.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I think its called La Fontaine could be wrong mind..

Also heading to this one. Hopefully as many fans who can make it do go. If there is a game we really need to back the lads in its this one. Regardless of our woeful run and performances this is the biggest game of the season so far and we really need to get behind them now and try and get out of this run.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

It is possible Martin will not be back with us. Our team TORQUAY UNITED needs all our support tomorrow night, we are in this as ONE (Players, Managerial Team, Board Members and Us Supporters). Lets get behind the team, lets have Martin Ling's Yellow Army ring out for as long as we can. We've done it before at Aldershot, your club needs you...
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Well done Nick. Echos my previous post on the other thread,. This season we have had every bit of luck go to the other team. We do not seem to have had any of it. Maybe we used our quota up in previous seasons. But sure as eggs are eggs. ( wouldn't it be odd if it turned out they we donuts) we need all the luck and support of everyone tomorrow night.
This is a battle cry. We need Martin Lings Yellow Army ringing out loud and clear. even to the extent we make Aldershot shut up and listen to our cry for a minute or two. We are indeed all in this together. Lets show the board and players we are indeed the 12th man. Oh How I wish i could be there.

jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Glostergull wrote:This season we have had every bit of luck go to the other team. We do not seem to have had any of it. Maybe we used our quota up in previous seasons. But sure as eggs are eggs. ( wouldn't it be odd if it turned out they we donuts) we need all the luck and support of everyone tomorrow night.
Hi Gloster - what bad luck have we had, apart from Lingy's illness and an achilles injury to a fringe player? Genuine question.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I assume then that you blame the ref for every decision that has gone against us. Every ball that bobbled at the wrong time as we were attempting to shoot. every decision that each player made that didn't work. Sometimes they don't have the luck they needed to do it right. or are you the sort that wants to put it down to each and everyone making such a hash of every decision that they should hang their heads in shame for making the wrong decision. Sometimes it comes down to luck.
We were lucky that we made a right decision that Martin was the right bloke for the job,. it was our bad luck that he has been taken ill. I don't want to get into witch hunts for all those decisions that went agains't us. Some of it was damned bad luck. Ask Austrian. I bet he curses his luck at nearly ever horse that he backs at 25:1 that come is at Half past 6 Would he be looking to blame every trainer for that horse. ( wondering of course in case he had them turned into horse meat)

oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Every game is now a cup final for us so although I am stuck at a meeting in Oxford tomorrow night I can still shout at the car radio on the way home. COYYSSSSSS Boy! how we need a break and a dodgy goal off someones rear end or a soft one gifted from our opponents. I just don't care as long as it counts and we get something tomorrow night. Wouldn't it be good just to have something to cheer about cause once we win one others will follow IMHO. :keepie: :goal:
Oblivion!!!!