Lets be positive..

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Lets be positive..

Post by diamondgirl »

We are 6points and +12 goals off a playoff place.......and 8 points and -20 goals off relegation.

There are 48 points still to play for with a max haul, for us, of 82.

I feel much better now. :-D
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Second half performance has drained all positivity out of me I am afraid!

Sorry diamondgirl!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Oh well. It was worth a try Rich. :'(

First half was ok though ! :)
lankyben
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by lankyben »

second half I think you need to give exeter credit for their performance rather than slating our players. the only 2 players I can fault are Craig (the peoples hero) and Thompson. those two were absolutely dire yet the critiques won't comment on them their rather get on bodins back, he was starved of any support and clearly isn't match fit.

on a side note mcphee scored two last night... bring him back
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

lankyben wrote:second half I think you need to give exeter credit for their performance rather than slating our players. the only 2 players I can fault are Craig (the peoples hero) and Thompson. those two were absolutely dire yet the critiques won't comment on them their rather get on bodins back, he was starved of any support and clearly isn't match fit.

on a side note mcphee scored two last night... bring him back
You can argue that if this was a one of but it is far from it. This has happened countless times against a variety of clubs from a variety of positions in the table.

You’re Craig and Thompson comments are for me - very wide of the mark.

Bodin, Jarvis, Lathrope, Oastler were worse on the night than Craig - who was poor at times and Thompson who did nothing either particularly wrong or right.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Agree with lankyben on Thompson, never seen him play before, and he did nothing that inspired me at all, and looked nervous on the ball.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Got to say that I dont agree re Nathan Craig. Thought he had a decent game last night. Thompson did not have the impact that I think most of us hoped he would. For me he (Thompson) sat too deep. He should (IMHO) have stayed further up the pitch to give us an outlet. Instead he came back looking for the ball and tried to help out in defence.

Joe didnt have the best of games. As for Billy. I just dont know what has happened to the player that we originally had on loan. I wont get on his back though, indeed I have sponsered him £5 per goal, this season.Just hoping that he can come good.
lankyben
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by lankyben »

what's the obsession with Craig on here? he couldn't pass wind let alone a football last night. and Thompson wouldn't be near the squad but for injuries To morris and macklin.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Niall Thompson has flattered to deceive on many of his appearances this season after bursting onto the scene with a virtuoso performance against Rochdale and some encouraging displays in the more low-key environments of pre-season. In no way am I writing him off because I think far too many people are expecting far too much from him so early on in his career, he wouldn't have had half the first team opportunities he has been afforded has we had a full roster of players to choose from throughout the season. He looks a little unsure of his role whenever he appears, sometimes it is absolutely crying out for him to take on his marker and get a delivery in, it takes him a while to get the confidence to do this, but when he does he normally gets his cross in or at the least wins a corner. He is bound to be touted as a fan's favourite though simply because he is a product of our youth system. There is masses of potential in Niall, but i think this is a season too early for him. As I said last night, I really do think we should have brought Yeoman on for Jarvis, straight swap.

As for Nathan, he functioned perfectly fine on the right wing in the first half, some of his deliveries led to our most dangerous moments, however when he moved into the centre it seemingly made the middle of the park more congested. Without the aerial ability of Jarvis the last 30 minutes turned so unbelievably scrappy that we failed, as a team, to get the ball down on the floor where we may have seen Nathan at his best, as a result I think he struggled to assert his authority in that period, albeit, probably, through no fault of his own.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Back on topic, in total agreement with DiamondGirl, positive thoughts needed only. Still so much football to be played.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

For the person who said about McPhee, I assume it was a joke.

I know positive thoughts and that, but it's been not far off 2 months since we last won, and 6 games conceding late means confidence is always going to be low. The question is, if it's a natural reaction to do it every game as Ling says, when is it going to stop?!

Anyway I'll leave because I'm not very positive at the minute. 4 points from these next two will change my tune though.
lankyben
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by lankyben »

it will stop Saturday after a industrious 3-1 win. then ling will be a hero, people will bore off with the nico to be dropped shit and Craig will justify the hype temporarily and everyone will be sayin he is the next eunan.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

It would be easier to get positive if only Lingy would sort out what type of team we are - it is claimed that we are a passing team, and yet we spent most of the second half hacking the ball away and hoping the unsupported Rene would get on the end of it. Only one attempt on goal in the second half!
Exeter on the other hand showed composure and intent to play on the ground, which made goal chances; I agree that the more logical sub for Ryan would have been Ashley, or another midfielder because our wide men were ineffective (one lacking awareness and desire, the other played out of position thus wasting his natural passing ability), which just put more strain on the two in the middle. And Damon's distribution and positioning has not been good this season. As it was we had two wingers on at the end who hardly saw the ball because of our lack of composure, lack of will to string passes together, and lack of team play.
Before a match we warm up with routines of give-and-go and triangles, but in the matchplay situation we just seem to revert to a hopeful long-ball game - so, if we amateur mere spectators can see the blindingly obvious, why do our professional management team not see it and sort it?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I don't think it's quite fair to be critcising Thompson when he is so young and inexperienced especially when doubters of Bodin, like myself get told to leave off Billy because he is young. He's a lot more experienced than Niall relatively so i find that a bit double standards. I'm not saying you have done this lanky Ben but there are bound to be people out there doing this. I like Niall because he is quick and direct and used sparingly and wisely in the appropriate manner he could turn out to be someone we have needed for a long, long time. I happen to think that Jarvis should have been replaced with Yeoman also like Ben says. Nathan Craig has impressed me with some of his passing but i'm still not totally convinced yet, i actually like Easton a lot and i would like to see more of him now.

I was positive yesterday but was encouraged to believe Lings words that we could be a relegation fight by many posters. Trust me to be positive and nobody wants to be! I'm still positive but we have some bloody tough games approaching and we need to dig in now and grind out some wins. Ling has had 3 or 4 months to adopt the attacking football i crave but i've only seen it once, last week at Burton so for the benefit of league 2 survival i suppose i have to accept whatever way he wants to play it from now on and hope it's enough. I'm positive though, although i think we'll be beaten by Chesterfield.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

lankyben wrote: it will stop Saturday after a industrious 3-1 win.then ling will be a hero, people will bore off with the nico to be dropped sh*t and Craig will justify the hype temporarily and everyone will be sayin he is the next eunan.
dont talk wet.

three goals?????

you have either

a) had too many happy meals
b) just been released from the funny farm
c) have been living in a cave for the last month or so, or,
d) been sniffing the diesel oil again.

i dont know which one it is, but it is obviously one of them.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468