Managers' musical chairs

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Managers' musical chairs

Post by Gullscorer »

Di Canio or Dean Saunders to Wolves?

John Sheridan to Argyle?

Paul Buckle to Man Utd.? Only joking..!

Fun to speculate... :)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Paul Buckle is a very poor manager who relies on a chequebook. Any problem is solved with a new loan signing rather than dealing with the issue.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Arguably a cheque book he earns by winning FA Cup games!
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Phil Brown to Plymouth I reckon.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

usagullmichigan wrote:Phil Brown to Plymouth I reckon.
john sheridan to plymuff, sean o'driscoll (hopefully) to sunny barnsley and dean saunders to wolves.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Just heard that Doncaster have given permission for Wolves to talk with Dean Saunders.

And Argyle may well be announcing John Sheridan as their manager in the next few days.

And Paul Buckle is fast becoming a Luton Town legend. (Well, not just yet...) =D

More seriously, a recurring theme in all this is that so many clubs these days seem to go for the cheap option. Understandable in a way, given their precarious finances. But it gets more ominous when you realise that many of these same clubs now have owners who are more interested in property development than in football...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Gullscorer wrote:Just heard that Doncaster have given permission for Wolves to talk with Dean Saunders.

And Argyle may well be announcing John Sheridan as their manager in the next few days.
And Paul Buckle is fast becoming a Luton Town legend. (Well, not just yet...) =D

More seriously, a recurring theme in all this is that so many clubs these days seem to go for the cheap option. Understandable in a way, given their precarious finances. But it gets more ominous when you realise that many of these same clubs now have owners who are more interested in property development than in football...
If this is true then i am sticking all the money i have left on Plymouth to go down to the BSP without a shadow of a doubt. It's a no brainer. Obviously i know a lot about the bloke from his time up here in Chesterfield and believe me, if things aren't going right he thinks nothing of taking it out on his players. At a time when Plymouth need confidence and not a rollicking i think this appointment could be a HUGE mistake. He is constantly falling out with players and staff, accusing them of lacking committment and saying they would be better off playing elsewhere and also he publicly slates them for any costly individual errors. He also needs money of which Plymouth have none. If Sheridan goes to Argyle then i have no doubt that they WILL go down. I fancy Bristol Rovers to get away from it and i reckon Barnet and Plymouth will drop.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: john sheridan to plymuff, sean o'driscoll (hopefully) to sunny barnsley and dean saunders to wolves.
two out of three anyway.
bugger. :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Mark Hughes is proof that managers, no matter how awful, can almost always lurch from job to job, making a complete hash of each of them in turn, but still being offered work by some poor sap or another. John Sheridan couldn't convince anyone to hire him for the last 6 months. This just about shows his talent, or lack thereof.

That said, mathematics will give us a better idea than my mere speculation. For all I know, he could have been on a beach for the last 6 months, flagrantly ignoring his ever-ringing phone with offers from Man Utd to replace Sir Alex...

Over his managerial career, JS has averaged a 39% win rate, drawing 27% and losing the remaining 34%. Argyle have 19 games remaining and need, for the purposes of our test, another 22 points (46 points in total) for safety (based on an average taken from recent seasons).

19 matches at Sheridan's present record is 22.23 points from wins, 5.13 points from draws and, obviously, no points from losses. This'll given them, optimistically, 52 points.

However, it must be noted that in his two previous jobs, in his first 19 matches for each, he averaged 36% wins, 26% draws and 38% losses. This'll leave Plymouth with (20.52 + 4.94) 50 points. Still enough for safety, but far, far too close for comfort.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

ferrarilover wrote:Mark Hughes is proof that managers, no matter how awful, can almost always lurch from job to job, making a complete hash of each of them in turn, but still being offered work by some poor sap or another. John Sheridan couldn't convince anyone to hire him for the last 6 months. This just about shows his talent, or lack thereof.

That said, mathematics will give us a better idea than my mere speculation. For all I know, he could have been on a beach for the last 6 months, flagrantly ignoring his ever-ringing phone with offers from Man Utd to replace Sir Alex...

Over his managerial career, JS has averaged a 39% win rate, drawing 27% and losing the remaining 34%. Argyle have 19 games remaining and need, for the purposes of our test, another 22 points (46 points in total) for safety (based on an average taken from recent seasons).

19 matches at Sheridan's present record is 22.23 points from wins, 5.13 points from draws and, obviously, no points from losses. This'll given them, optimistically, 52 points.

However, it must be noted that in his two previous jobs, in his first 19 matches for each, he averaged 36% wins, 26% draws and 38% losses. This'll leave Plymouth with (20.52 + 4.94) 50 points. Still enough for safety, but far, far too close for comfort.

Matt.
Matt, with time enough on your hands to work that out you need a dog to walk. :sleep:
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

:lol:

He could always volunteer at his local dog rescue centre and take his pocket calculator with him. :-D :~D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Haha, I've got a woofbag, she's a brown labrador called Shilo. That said, I do understand Beardies comment entirely. :clap:

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"