Torquay United v Morecambe - 27/10/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Morecambe - 27/10/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

God only knows how we managed to beat Gillingham but maybe it's because Torquay United are a pretty decent football team after all and when everything clicks into place we are a match for anybody in this league. Martin got the boys buzzing like a swarm of bumble bees at a bring your own pollen party. It was Nico who brought the pollen to Plainmoor and turned it into a honey coated goal 6 minutes from time to give the Gulls all three points. The debacle at the Mem all but forgotten.

Manager Jim Bentley and his Shrimpers squad make the long trip from the lancashire coast to the Devon coast looking to get some consistency back into their results and seeking to bounce back from the disappointing loss to Rotherham on tuesday night after being a goal up. Morecambe are an unpredictable side who are just as likely to win at Plainmoor than lose, they have had some great results away this season winning at Exeter, Accy, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale as well as beating Blackpool away in the first round of the league cup. The crucial stat for this game is that both Kevin Ellison AND Richard Brodie, both prolific scorers at this level, will not be taking part as they are both serving suspensions. This leaves our opponents light in the attacking department although they do have Jack Redshaw who is their top scorer with 6 goals in all comps.

Morecambe lie in 14th place in league 2 on 18 points and the last time we met at Plainmoor it was 1-1. They do have a squad with lots of experience including keeper Barry Roche and defender Will Haining but they also have inexperience too including 21 year old Jordan Mustoe who was signed on a months loan from Wigan Athletic and Ryan Williams, a former Chester and Rhyl midfielder who was added on a short term contract. The only players i remember playing for both us and Morecambe from memory are Kieran Charnock and Craig Stanley but i'm sure you lot out there will post if you know of any others.

Last time out v Rotherham

1. Barry Roche (gk)
2. Nick Fenton
3. Jordan Mustoe ( on loan from Wigan Athletic )
4. Will Haining
5. Andrew Wright
6. Chris McCready
7. Kevin Ellison
8. Stewart Drummond
9. Andrew Fleming
10. Gary McDonald
11. Jack Redshaw

SUBS: Andreas Aristidou UNUSED GK, Dan Parkinson UNUSED, Andy Parrish UNUSED, Chris Doyle UNUSED, Izak Reid ( on for McCready on 75 mins ), Joe Mcgee UNUSED, Jordan Burrow ( on for Redshaw on 70 mins )

A tricky game to call this one, Morecambe on paper don't have a standout squad of players and with the 'big two' missing through suspension it looks as if it is a golden opportunity to exploit that and take the points. We have to wary of their away form however just as they have to be wary of our home form. According to a stats website ( no link bix as i don't know how to do it! ) we have earned 71% of our points tally this season at home BUT it also says that we have conceded at least 1 goal in 86% of our home games. I think a clean sheet is long overdue and i think we'll get one, i'm going for a narrow 1-0 win for the Gulls courtesy of that man again SUPER RENE HOWE! :scarf:

The match ref is Mr Carl Berry and his assistants are Mr Adam Hopkins and Mr Mark Russell. The 4th official, mentioned only to reinforce his image of self importance is Mr Adam Bromley. So two Adams, Hopkins and Bromley.

Apologies for the thread being a little light on humour but firstly i don't really have too much time, secondly it's a home game and there isn't really much i can add in terms of the place we are visiting, ground etc because it's at Torquay which you all know is a minute town stuck away from civilisation where all it's inhabitants have extra limbs, and thirdly you don't deserve it forthe way you've all barracked me the other day re Billy! So.................... :na:

Oh and plus, it's only Morecambe. A quite uninspiring opponent if they can forgive me saying that. ;-) I just hope that there will be healthy crowd there, should be with it being a saturday and the glory hunters returning off the back of a win over the league leaders. I don't know, you just can't please some people can you? :Oops:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Morecambe only have one fit striker, Jordan Burrow. Kevin Ellison is missing, thank god. Always does well at Plainmoor.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

How did you find that out Nick? I found out that Ellison and Brodie were out but is Redshaw out too and how did you find out? It would help me in future matchday threads to get extra info. I looked on the Morecambe website AND their fans forum and it doesn't say owt about only having one fit striker. Tell me old bean.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.p ... morecambe/

Seems to be what they're implying anyway!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

That Morecambe fan says Brodie can play but i checked on the suspensions list at the FA website and it says he is suspended. I must go and check again unless you can be arsed to double check for me if you know a reliable website? I don't want to mislead everyone in forumland, i'm walking on eggshells as it is and i'll most likely get a ( love these words by the way ) TORRENT AND TIRADE of insults! :'(
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I've just checked again and it says Brodie is out , 3 game ban starting 20th of October. Am i right?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

One of the other posters confirms he's out on there. They've only got that Jordan Burrow available.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Suits us then Sir. 3 points it is then for the mighty yellows!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

austrianandygull wrote:That Morecambe fan says Brodie can play but i checked on the suspensions list at the FA website and it says he is suspended. I must go and check again unless you can be arsed to double check for me if you know a reliable website? I don't want to mislead everyone in forumland, i'm walking on eggshells as it is and i'll most likely get a ( love these words by the way ) TORRENT AND TIRADE of insults! :'(
Silly old fart...!! :na:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Old?!!!! Me?!! I'm mid 30's man! :red:

Hang on a minute.........that IS old!!!! :'(

:lol:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Just noticed as i was reading my Torquay v Crewe home programme on the bog that the 4th official on that last game of the season was none other than Adam Hopkins, one of the assistants for saturdays game. I remember that Crewe game because he seemed at add about 4 days worth of injury time and Crewe levelled in it. Hope he hasn't got it in for us. :red:

Oh and just for the record, the programme was to hand as i had been sifting through them earlier looking to see i'd been to any games when Carl Berry had reffed. Obviously i don't have a conveniently located stash of programmes next to the kazi, my usual literary selection whilst 'allowing one through' is the Daily Mail. It's high brow i know but i like it because it has words in it. :Oops: The red tops just have pictures of banality. Actually i have also been known to read labels on reachable bathroom products whenever i've forgotten a paper and got bored. :Z I've learnt more about chemicals than my chemistry teacher could ever teach me.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

..the same Adam Hopkins who took mine and Ryan's (Yellow4life) referee course years back.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Decent bloke then is he Nick?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Ahuh.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

the daily mail! ffs Andy that's a bad un, please ignore everything in the pm I sent you yesterday!
do you have cushions on your parcel shelf and elastic waisted comfy slacks too?!
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 25 Oct 2012, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith