A Tribute to a Missing Fan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SkyBlueGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

A Tribute to a Missing Fan

Post by SkyBlueGull »

I apologise in advance to all fellow board members for the length of this tome but I feel that it is a tale worth telling and allows me to pay tribute to a gentleman who I hold dear to my heart, someone who forged my links to TUFC, and someone who unfortunately wont be present at the match tonight.

My name is Tony, (aka SkyBlueGull), and I think I can call myself an avid Gull fan, despite never having lived in Torquay and herein lies the start of my tale.

It wasn't always that way having spent my childhood years in the Midlands I became an ardent Coventry City fan this didn't waiver despite moving up to Manchester although I did take an interest in supporting Man City as they adorned a sky blue kit if only to reduce the kickings at school. However I soon returned to the Midlands to go to University where I subsequently gained employment which allowed me to follow the Sky Blues through thick and thin- mainly thin times.

During this time, in 1980 my parents moved down to Torquay my Dad being a West Country lad was delighted when the Midland Bank,(now HSBC), asked him to move down and spend his last 10 years before retirement in Devon. He worked in Abbey Road and my Mum went to work at the hospital.
With no old school mates or any other social connections to Torquay my visits down were infrequent mainly Christmas, Easter and times when I was looking for some financial assistance. I have always been interested in football and although an ardent Coventry City fan I wasn't that partisan that I wouldn't go and watch other matches. And so on these visits to Torquay I would pop up to Plainmoor. My early memories weren't great it was crap football and the only things that stick out for me were 2 strikers being Les Lawrence for being quite good (+ his afro) and someone called Maurice Cox for being quite bad from memory his claim to fame was that he was a Cambridge University student.

Things began to change in 1982 when my mother introduced me to a nurse she worked with called Allison McPhail it was love at first sight, I proposed to her 4 weeks later and we were married in 1984 and are still going strong 28 years later.
This obviously changed the dynamics as I was coming down from Birmingham once a fortnight to Torquay to spend time with the love of my life and also to ingratiate myself with her parents. At the time they were running 2 Poppins restaurants one where Mambos is now and one in Fleet Street, working all hours in the holiday season. My prospective mother in law immersed herself in politics, (she has been mayor, and is still a councillor), and my father in law Ian's passion was football.

He had been a key Brentford fan he says he watched them when they were in the old 1st division -but as soon as he came down to Torquay he immersed himself in all things TUFC. Since 1967 he has been a season ticket holder and somewhere along the way he acquired £200 of TUFC shares which he still holds today. I know that in the past he has sponsored matches, the match ball and even players. He goes to all the AGMs, friendlies, reserve matches

When I met him he shared a box at the back of the Family stand with other fans including Tony Boyce. I went to a lot of games they all seem a blur now but I have do have some specific memories.

One was the 8-2 defeat to Scunthorpe which stood out because Mike Bateson went onto the pitch after the game and addressed the Popside with a microphone asking the fans “what do you want me to do?

Another was when he told me to get down to Torquay as soon as possible to see a gem of a player called Lee Sharpe, before he was sold to a 1st Division team. I remember going down, the match was against Brighton and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. This was probably because Lee had already earned a reputation because every time he got past the full back there was Jimmy Case, ex Liverpool) in the twilight of his career playing as a sweeper, to put Lee in his place.

Events moved on for some reason there was a falling out ref the box and my father in law moved back to the main stand on the halfway line. Again with a motley crew of his generation who have unfortunately disappeared over the years. I do remember Dan Macauley sitting next to us for a season he was obviously interested in buying Torquay but eventually went onto pastures new Plymouth Argyle.
And then the defining moment Torquay v Barnet last day of season shoot out and Coventry City v Aston Villa in 2000/1. If either of my teams lost they were relegated. By half time I knew where my allegiances lay and if only one team could stay up I wanted it to be Torquay. That was the day I realised I was hooked as a Gull and knew my father in law had converted me.

Season after season since has been a wonderful adventure- a roller coaster. The fantastic side Leroy put together I went to Southend and cried. One of my best friends said they had never seen me so happy in all the years they had known me as that evening.

Obviously living in the Midlands I go to a lot more away games than Plainmoor- living in the Midlands Northampton, Port Vale, Burton, Cheltenham, Shrewsbury to name a few, always filling my father in law in on the matches. When we dropped into the Non league under Roberts - I cried and when we beat Cambridge at Wembley to get back into the League I cried. I took my daughter to that game and she couldn't understand why that girls for you. Tickets for semi finals, Wembley and Old Trafford all of this courtesy of my father in law.

Over the last few years, my father in law has become more open about his past particularly his contribution during World War II. He lied about his age and became a bomb aimer on Halifax bombers. He completed over 40 missions over Germany when you were lucky to be alive after 20. The Americans sent their B52 crews home after 20 sorties. He shrugs it off and is one of the most pleasant mild mannered men I have ever met nothing phases him, (although that probably not surprising after taking flak over Cologne)

My father in law Ian McPhail turned 90 on 7th July. A few weeks before he told me he had bought a founders member 5 year season ticket for Bristows Bench that's optimism for you.

For his birthday I got Frank O Farrell's autobiography and with help from the club got all the players plus Martin Ling and Frank O Farrell to sign it and huge credit to the club for arranging that for me. I spoke with Cris Boyce and we were going to set up something for him at half time doing the 50/50 draw - to recognise his 45 years support of the club for a game in the new season.

We had a party a vintage bus to the Dart, 2 hours on the river and a party in the evening. Cris Boyce came and my father in law was on top form he didn't look a day over 70. One of his presents was a flight up to Scotland, where he was born and a luxury steam train + hotel in the Highlands visiting lairds, islands and castles

Sadly on Thursday 3rd August we received a devastating phone-call Ian had suffered a severe stroke on the last day of his trip. My wife and I flew up to Inverness and drove the 2 hours down to Fort William where he was in intensive care- he had suffered a serious stroke totally paralysing him down the left hand side of his body. He hadn't lost his faculties or his dry humour though I was talking to him about the Stoke friendly and through slurred speech he told me he had a ticket that he had paid for- when I expressed surprise that as a founder member he had had to pay his comment was the club was always looking for the extra £ - but he said it with a twinkle in his eye he didn't mean it maliciously.

The Air Ambulance has been arranged some 2 weeks later as he has recovered sufficiently to be transferred to Torbay Hospital. It departs tomorrow at mid-day.

However it is going to be a long road to recovery he will never drive again it is doubtful whether he will be back at his home in Wellswood before Christmas and whether he will attend a match at Plainmoor this season or possibly ever again.

It will be a logistical nightmare to get him into the ground and up to his seat in Bristows Bench but come hell or high water that is going to be my target and objective as soon as it is possible I owe him that. Remember as I said earlier this is the man that bought a 5 year season ticket at the age of 90!

So Ian McPhail couldn't be there tonight and not for the foreseeable future. He doesn't shout or get agitated at matches so from that point of view he won't be missed. Some posters will classify him as one of the old coffin dodgers that frequent the main stand at the club and don't get involved.
It's not always about how loud you shout, how vociferously you support your team and he has never ever slagged off any player, (although I get the impression that he holds Dave Webb in low regard and his reign one of the darkest chapters of the club)- sometimes its about putting your money in. I would suggest 45 years a season ticket holder plus sponsorship, plus shares, plus another 5 years with a Founder Member ticket qualifies him as a True Fan .

Ian here's to a sufficient recovery that enables you to get back to Plainmoor for your rightful place on The Bench (plus us to share a dram from that bottle of McPhails malt whisky I found at the airport). To me Plainmoor wont be the same without you there.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Beautifully written and an inspiring account of not only his but also your support of the Club.

I wish him a full and speedy recovery so that he can make use of that ticket for the Bench.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

There's not a thing I can say, or indeed that I can think needs to be said, in reply to one of the best posts I've ever read.

Best of luck to all concerned. Tony, please keep us all updated as to Ian's progress and certainly be sure to let us know when he is due to attend his next match.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

I wish him all the best for the future, and hopes he gets to a speedy recovery.

Maybe we'll hear some words of encouragement for him from the Pop at home to Cheltenham next week? (and when he returns to Plainmoor)
Please do inform us of what we hope will be a speedy recovery and when he'll be back at Plainmoor.

Gaz
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

As I read that I had a tear in my eye.

Bloody amazing, emotional post.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

A Beautifully written piece of prose as a tribute to a true supporter. Long may he still live and adorne The Bench. That ticket will be used to the full and let us all wish him the best and hope he recovers soon.
I truly had a large lump in my throat.
God bless you sir and hope to meet you soon at Plainmoor.
This is the sort of supporter who should have a statue outside the ground.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

Thanks for posting, I'd just like to join everyone else in wishing Ian a speedy recovery and return to Plainmoor.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

A great post and sums up perfectly the passion for a small club like Torquay. I really hope your father-in-law feels better and is ale to make the 5 years.
Jaxx_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Jaxx_Gull »

What a touching and inspirational post, I shed a tear reading this.
As a student nurse just finishing final placement on a neurology ward where I have nursed many patients suffering from Strokes I understand how difficult this is not just for Ian but for you, your wife and family and how long a recovery it could potentially be, but I hope with all the best wishes, from the bottom of my heart that Ian makes a good and speedy recovery and you see progress every single day.
What a gentleman, and true passionate Torquay United fan. I hope he will resume his rightful spot in the Bench in the future.
Jackie
LOVE.LIFE.LIVE.TUFC.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Wow. A beautifully written and moving piece. I hope your father inlaw is back at Plainmoor soon.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

get well soon ian, look forward to having you back up at plainmoor soon.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for sharing your story with us, and may I wish Ian a speedy recovery.
Formerly known as forevertufc
budleigh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by budleigh »

Tony,

As you are well aware, Ian is the quiet one within our 'grandstand group' but when the occasion permits always finds the correct and insightful comment whether regarding the game in question or any other matter that may arise from the banter. It was always interesting to be part of a conversation when he and Tony would sit and discuss footballing matters, something he has continued with Tony's sons. His quiet wit has often defused a situation when the discussions between the 'old (and not-so-old) gits' got a little heated, although he isn't beyond roguishly adding a little mischevious aside himself whilst somehow keeping that innocent look on his face.
As you requested Cris did kindly pass on your original comments regarding Ian, so those who have sat with him over many years are aware of the situation. For the first time last night a part of this group were in our new place, but old position, in the stand and much was made of how Ian was being missed and all wished him a good recovery.
That he didn't hesitate to take up a five-year Founder Members season ticket shows the measure of the man.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Excellent post, here's to a speedy recovery :)
The gulls are going up
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I echo the sentiments of everyone on here and hope for a happy outcome.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.