West Country Football

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Ollie, I've been taken to the proverbial dry-cleaners posting blogs on here before.

I've learnt that writing will never appeal to everyone and you, as a writer, have to be prepared to take criticism from someone as soon as you put yourself out there.

For the record I don't think you deserved that kind of pasting although I think at heart Matt meant well with his post.

Keep it up lad, it just takes time to develop your own style that hopefully people will like!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I did one which lasted about a month. It was quite fun but I was never sure if people read it or not so got bored in the end.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh dear, this place is full of Mary Jane wetpants these days. I've offered the boy a rundown on his work, no criticism, just the explanation that he's never had at school.

I take it none of you have ever submitted a university dissertation, which you've spent 6 months researching and writing and had it ripped to shreads by a lecturer? Try 20, 000 words worth of being told you're an idiot, then tell me about not being fair.

Sonofdave or whatever you're called, mine isn't proof read (which it should be), so there will be odd errors throughout. I disagree with your idea of a split infinitive (specifically because it differs from mine, which is correct).

I made it clear that I wasn't having a pop at the kid, and that it's not a badly written piece. Maybe read what I've written before leaping in to score cheap points, it's pathetic.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Hi everyone, I'm new here (as you can probably tell)!

Have been reading this forum for a while now and, as a football writer myself - as well as a TUFC fan, obviously - took a particular interest in this thread.

Like Ollie, I am still at school (16 y/o) and have only been writing about Torquay and other clubs/countries for the past few months, starting my blog in March.

I have been writing TUFC match reports, transfer analysis and league predictions since then, but, as NickGull says, it is unclear in the absence of comments whether or not people are reading your blog and whether any of my (currently small) audience are actually interested in Torquay, or indeed football. I guess what I am asking for is feedback from fellow supporters, and any advice, constructive (or not!) criticisms or tips would be greatly appreciated. Matt, if you are reading this, I would love a post similar to the one afforded to Ollie!!

2012-13 TUFC Season Preview: http://drawley.wordpress.com/2012/07/29 ... n-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Report on the Billy Bodin signing: http://drawley.wordpress.com/2012/07/03 ... for-gulls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Match Report: TUFC Youth 4-2 Pulse Premier Academy: http://drawley.wordpress.com/2012/07/20 ... e-premier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Match Report: TUFC 2-0 Tiverton: http://drawley.wordpress.com/2012/07/25 ... rton-town/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the spammy-ish post,

Thanks,

Dan.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Dan, had a quick look at the preview (only a quick look so wasn't checking for errors), but thats an impressive layout and seemed well-written. Keep that up and I'm sure you'll pick up followers. :)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I'll have a read overnight Dan and I'll call it as I find it. That said, judging from your post on here, I can't believe there'll be much for me to say.
Stick around, it sounds as if you'll enjoy it here.

Matt.
Rifty
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rifty »

The suspense is killing me.

You know, you're right, ferrarilover. Giving the young whippersnappers a lesson in English Composition and Grammar is jolly good of you, old chum.

It's just that you made it so damnably boring. I did try and read it. Heaven knows why, I even tried twice, but there was just no denying the fact that your lesson was deadly dull.

Please try harder.

Yours

Mary Jane wetpants,
Greyfriars
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Joke or not, the above post demonstrates, on a number of levels, precisely what is wrong children today.

Didn't get round to it last night (House marathon on DVD, coz I'm **** ing cool as balls).

Matt.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Posted a reply to this earlier, but for some reason it seems to have disappeared.
Thanks NickGull! Appreciate the feedback and let's hope so :)
ferrarilover wrote:I'll have a read overnight Dan and I'll call it as I find it. That said, judging from your post on here, I can't believe there'll be much for me to say.
Stick around, it sounds as if you'll enjoy it here.

Matt.
Look forwarding to reading your view Matt - I'm sure you'll find something to say!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be honest this whole thing about English being written proper innit, does my head in, I think some should realise how lucky they are to be blessed with the ability to take on board information and store and use it, in turn should realise that others arn't quite so lucky.

I can't and won't hide behind the fact my spelling and grammer is awful, was there anything wrong with my education, no, the problem was with me, still grateful for any help from my personal English teacher "Mr Happytorq" though.. :clap:

I have two kids going through school right now, is there anything wrong with there education, no, one is blessed and finds learning easy, the other not quite so and will have to work harder.

Not meaning this to offend, I think Olliegull was asking whether we liked his work, not for an English lesson.
Formerly known as forevertufc
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Just to clear up, I didn't find Matt's post offensive/insulting in any way, I found it helpful as I find the easiest way to improve is learning from my mistakes. Also, Dan's posts look very professional, well done. ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

OllieGull wrote:Just to clear up, I didn't find Matt's post offensive/insulting in any way, I found it helpful as I find the easiest way to improve is learning from my mistakes. Also, Dan's posts look very professional, well done. ;-)
Ollie don't massage Matts ego, he will want to become your very special friend.. :rofl:
Formerly known as forevertufc
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

forevertufc wrote: Ollie don't massage Matts ego, he will want to become your very special friend.. :rofl:
I won't haha, just appreciating he was trying to help and not totally slate me. :~D
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

The passenger seat in his orange Hairdressers car does not get offered to just anyone, you know.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Haha, wrong again, I **** in the back of my car.

I did post a big ol' thing here, but it seems to have been deleted or something. Not to worry, it was bollocks anyway.

Matt.