PSF: Exeter City v Torquay United Tues 31/07/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

just missed an open goal!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

We've hit the post and had one off the line. COYY!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

HardofHerringGull wrote:
Another birthday Dave! Look on the bright side though...at least you get a free bus-pass now! :nod:

I think you'll get yours before I get mine mate :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

3-3

Edit: full time
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

Sounds like it was a great match! can't believe I forgot about it! Stupid period brain! >:(
Brez60gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Brez60gull »

Well a good game and good workout and we even gave them a 2 goal headstart so well done and let's carry this momentum into the Stoke game and a decent crowd on Monday.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Can I just ask about the Stoke match as the OS is terrible atm...

When is the game and when does it kick off?
Will i need to phone up to get ticket for the family stand? Or can i just pay on the day?

Thanks in anticipation...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

I believe the stoke game is the 6th (Tuesday?) 7:45 kick off!

...tickets are available on the day
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

stevegull wrote:Can I just ask about the Stoke match as the OS is terrible atm...

When is the game and when does it kick off?
Will i need to phone up to get ticket for the family stand? Or can i just pay on the day?

Thanks in anticipation...
Next Monday and its pay on the day as far as I know though if you want to buy in advance you can.
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Hello, Cheltenham fan again!

As I live in Exeter, I often pop down to see Exeter/Torquay games and paid my £1 student ticket for tonight!

Perhaps the worst six goal game I have ever seen but a couple of bright points that have been pinpointed already. From a neutral's perspective, after the uncharacteristic first 30 minutes, Torquay looked much the better side (albeit against what I would consider to be a poor side - can't see them doing much better than midtable) - particularly after bringing the big guns on at half time. Your defence look a little out of practice, as does Howe but I was impressed by your wingers in both halves - particularly Macklin.

Although it is difficult to tell from a PSF, some of your play leads me to think you will be in the playoff mix again this season (perhaps even higher).
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I don't think any of us will read too much into that game mate. We had 4 maybe 5 starters in that side and it's still early days yet.

Thanks for sharing your views though, good luck for the season, always liked Cheltenhamshire ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

A few thoughts on tonight's match in among 161 Gulls fans.

A decidedly uncertain start at the back, patently obvious that 4 of last season's 5 piece defensive unit were absent. Saah looked as steady as ever but Downes had a few moments of indecision that led to danger. Our back-up full backs are the most concerning to me though as Cruise and Leadbitter were caught out of position time and time again, Nico and Oastler needn't worry about their places in the team being under threat just yet. However both Cruise and Downes completed 90 minutes and just like Saah last season, there is plenty of time for improvement and for these opinions to seem ridiculous by the end of the season. In the absence of Manse and Nico tonight, and Bobby and Ellis from last season though, there needs to be more talking and communication on the pitch. Manse's voice could be heard loud and clear when he took his place for the second half.

Bodin and Nicholson are going to cause no end of problems if they continue to combine down the left. It looks like they have already continued where they left off up until December last year. Nicholson's continued overlapping is a massive plus for us as his delivery rarely lets us down, whereas Bodin can competently knock it inside or outside and his pace and trickery does the rest. He looks like he is going to be worth every penny of the 70k.

Macklin was, frustratingly, brilliant again tonight, a real outlet all night and equally as threatening on both right and left flank. His clever run led to a chance on goal and he took it brilliantly; lobbing it coolly over the onrushing keeper. He has all the attributes to be a key player for us this year, and I really hope Lingy shares that belief. If he can manage to rid Lloyd of his obvious attitude problems and get him to perform consistently then he can be a real plus next season. On this form he should start against Fleetwood and give him the opportunity to prove us all right, or prove us all wrong.

Thompson and Mackenzie both look like they can be trusted to perform in the first team squad. Thompson came on and led the line for 20 minutes, he carefully timed his runs and held the ball up well with thanks to his blistering pace, when the chance opened up for a shot his brilliant curling shot cannoned off the bar. Mackenzie looks strong and brave and made a couple of crucial interventions, he looks like he can read the game very well, neither of the youngsters looked fazed by the step up to first team football and being involved regularly (as they are likely to be with no reserve league) can only hasten their development.

I think most pieces of the jigsaw to Lingy's jigsaw are in place, but its centre midfield that is the conundrum. Manse is a certain starter and then its two from four. Easton completed 90 minutes and kept things simple, his positional play and reading of situations also good. Craig made the second goal with a pinpoint corner, and his delivery all night was dangerous. Lathrope deserves to start the season due to the influence he had in the team last season, but this competition for his place is healthy, especially as he hasn't quite reached the standards he set for himself last term.

Overall with the signings made, and the emergence of others, I do think we have a stronger squad than last season. It might be hard to see now before the sum of the parts make the whole, but by January I really expect us to be doing well. We have competition for places, and versatility and options within the squad.

Exeter City looked nothing special, they made hay in the first 20 minutes against a very inexperienced and unfamiliar TUFC line-up, but as soon as we got a foot-hold in the match they wilted. City passed the ball for fun, but not as incisively as we did when in possession. In fact in the second half we were unlocking the city defence with ease and with better delivery could have been through on goal time and time again.

Finally a word for paying £10 to stand on a slab of P*ss-stained concrete, separated by barely fit for purpose walkways and staircases: ridiculous. Was going to stand behind the goal, but didn't want to needlessly be 15 yards from the pitch so stood at the side instead. Tried my hardest not to use the toilets but succumbed and nearly died of asbestosis. The world's most boring steward explained in great detail about plans to redevelop the away end into something respectable, it wouldn't take too much to improve it, its prehistoric and the worst in the league.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Hmmm, unusually, I disagree with chunks of Ben's analysis.

Craig made the first two goals, his pass for Macklin's opener was sheer and utter class (in the interest of fairness, it needs mentioning that Lloyd's run was equally as good).

Both Cruise and Downer looked good, first 20 minutes aside. At least 70% of the game is in the brain and Cruise certainly has retained that element throughout his time on the sidelines. Time and again he was in miles of space down the left.
Downer was very composed again, and after our shaky start where we showed a desperate lack of ideas, formed a solid partnership with the excellent Brian Saah.

Thompson gets better every game and will be the player he is tipped to be if he carries on.

Ricey didn't stand a chance with either of the first two, I couldn't really say about the third.

Final word to Macklin, who is finally becoming the player he should be. Direct, frighteningly fast, lovely touch, like a really really good Zebroski. Keep it up, and he'll be a vital weapon, possibly the one difference between last year's playoff heartache and promotion.

Exeter were poor, they might as well sell their midfielders, they don't use them. Everything is very long and very straight and its very easy to see how they managed to score so few goals last season.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Macklin is like a really good Zebroski - Is this the MAcklin who was rejected by Hereford and the Zebroski who is gong to Cheltenham for 50k
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

brucie wrote:Macklin is like a really good Zebroski - Is this the MAcklin who was rejected by Hereford and the Zebroski who is gong to Cheltenham for 50k
w4nker alert