PSF: Exeter City v Torquay United Tues 31/07/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

brucie give the kid a chance. Yes he screwed up but it is our benefit to give him a chance. Lingy seems to be so we all should. We have nothing to lose on him now.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Well Sid James's what a sh*t hole park hasn't changed, still an absolute dump with the worst away end in history, worst toilets in history and with the worst food in history. I personally didn't get any because 1) it's city crap and 2) I was told by a mate of mine that the pasties they were selling we're ones that they had kept over the 'summer' break! They looked it too, they looked all black and rock hard and absolute joke.

However, it was a nightmare for me getting into the ground! I walked up to the turnstile with pound in hand (luckily I'm under 18 and don't have to give more than a quid to the scum!) only to be told I had to buy a ticket from the away collection box up the road for a friendly! When going up to it and asking for under 18 standing, the lady asks "is that for away?" with my Torquay shirt on and that I'm going to the AWAY ticket office. They must all have one oar out of the water at that place.

Anyway after finally getting into the ground and situating myself on the worst away end in history with terrible steps that you can't call a terrace, I was looking forward to the football ahead. It was ruined the whole game by the 'Seige Army' containing 20 members singing just awful songs, playing the drum like the drummer had six fingers (well I wouldn't be suprised) waving terrible cheap tacky large flags and even trying to sing 'Everywhere we go' and a few other songs they nicked from us exceedingly. I and my mates got a lot of abuse by the 15 year old 'Seige' after the game, after you give it all back they sod off then and sing their god awful songs down the road. I did enjoy them sing 'we hate Torquay' after they bang on about not caring about us. But why would I be suprised? They're all thick and contradict themselves immensely at all times.

Anyway, enough talking about those planks onto the football and unfortunately for the first stages of the first half we were very poor, especially defensively. City weren't any better, but we allowed them to pass the ball too easily around our defence, with Leadbitter making the most amount of mistakes and with that Easton. We did have one opportunity in the first stages of the first forty five to score with Macklin putting in a decent cross but no one got on the end of it, with Howe being the closest to it. Although it was the third team in Devon to get the first goal, can't remember who scored but he was allowed to turn to easily by the defence (Downes and Cruise) and played a chip shot over Ricey and scored. Ricey could have done a little better from where I was standing. It was all a bit scrappy after this in the middle with City getting the best out of it if anything, stringing a few passes together. We tried to get it down a pass and get it out wide, but Cruise, Danny, Macklin and Leadbitter were getting no luck down the wing. However I thought that Cruise had a pretty good game altogether. Exeter scored the next goal and it came from a corner. The ball went out when Ricey tried to get the ball back from going out, he didn't dive for the ball and let it go out, poor goalkeeping. The cross came in, it wasn't cleared, the city player turned and the ball went in after bouncing off Craig's head while Nathan was standing on the post. 2-0 and not looking good at that present time.

So after being 2-0 down we really needed a goal and a good one to boost the team up a bit. And that's just what we got from Lloyd Macklin after being on the left wing, rather than the right. Nathan Craig chipped the ball over the defence to Macklin, he flicked it up and lobbed the keeper superbly, total class! So it was 2-1 and with Macklin on the left he looked much better and so did the team. We weren't nothing special but tried to link up well with Howe and others in the midfield. Nothing really amazing happened after this passage of play as both teams looked pretty lack luster and at times it was rather dull. However we got the equaliser from a corner, it was whipped in nicely and headered in skilfully by Downes. We went into the break 2-2 with the Devon rivals, who have no by the way have the worst ground in Devon...officially.

In the second half, in the early stages it was all Torquay with Bodin, Morris, Nicholson, Howe and Mansell all linking up nicely and playing some nice football. This payed off as Bodin put us into the lead with a nice shot just trickling into the corner of the net. Exeter never really got going in the second half, they did have a few chances from crosses but either Ricey caught the ball or the defence cleared it away. In the middle part of the second forty five it was again a little scrappy with no team having real control of the possession, but by the time the game went on, you would give the edge to Torquay saying they're the better side. We bought on Thompson in the latter stages of the second half, he did ok using his pace well and he almost scored with a beautiful curl shot that just hit the post. Towards the end of the game we seemed to sit back and let City get into the game. They won a free kick by a sloppy Downes tackle, but luckily Ricey saved well towards his left post. However Exeter did get the equaliser in the final minutes from a cross and the Grecian player just nicked the ball home. It was rather funny watching their keeper celebrate their equaliser like they'd just won the league with an almighty fist pump! Let's just say he got a lot of stick for that.

All in all I think I can say we were the better of the two sides, although we weren't very good on the night. However, when we play out our strongest side we will look very good in my opinion and if we did for the whole game tonight, we would have battered Exeter and that's for certain. Saah, Downes, Macklin and Bodin were the stand out performers tonight with Rice, Leadbitter, Stevens and maybe a couple others, looking off the pace tonight. But there is still time and I can't wait until the season starts and when we play City in a proper game that meant something, because it will be a different result to tonight's! Bring on the start of the season!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just a few thoughts, I knew on the way their away end was shite hadn't realised until getting their, it's got worse with just about 5 steps behind what is a bizare and sizable no mans land.

Had no other choice but to use the loo, oh my days, they even had a sign apologising for the train wreck you are forced to wee in, even the hot tap didn't work, not sure I should mention the pasties..quite possibly they had gone nuclear, a friend had one you could have played hockey with it, any way enough of that now.

On to the game think 3.3 was fair, a lot has already been said above , but I must say once again Lloyd Macklin was the stand out performer for me, the team were struggling we hadn't had a meaningful shot at their goal, when he burst through and produced a quailty finish a constant threat while he was on, Lingy must now have to sit down and have real good think about Macklin now, on the two games I have seen he is worth keeping in my opinion.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I paid £6 in the Flybe stand. never ever go in the away end. superb pitch.

highlights for me were Macklin whose goal was sublime controlled ball with his knee and lobbed the keeper superbly.

Nathan Craig. superb corners lethal for defenders and with Nico we have 2 players who can deliver at pace which is really hard to defend against.

Downes. i was impressed and i think he and Saah who never put a foot wrong will be a tower of strength at the heart of our defence.

Rene Howe. never seen him move so fast looks a different player now he is fit but i thought he received poor service.

Nico in the second half looked so comfortable on the ball and incredibly slim! he linked with Billy Bodin superbly.

Billy looked real class and has a lot of skill on the ball.

Negetives for me were Leadbitter who saw a lot of the ball in the first half but has a lot to learn at this level.

Morris in the second half came on but every time i see him he frustrates me with his play. very disappointing.

in conclusion i think Nathan Craig will be a great replacement for O`Kane and I believe Downes if he stays fit will be as good as if not better than Mark Ellis.

Martin Ling has a very promising squad and i thought some of the young players looked really comfortable and Thompson was very unlucky not to score with a terrific shot which came back off the inside of the post.

a very entertaining match in my opinion on an excellent pitch.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Last nights game as I saw it. Difficult to gage where we are against an Exeter side who also made many changes but a lot of positives after the very poor first half an hour

Rice - Not sure he is to blame for any of the goals personally. Did ok apart from palming a shot out right to the in coming striker.

Leadbitter - Has good pace but often out of position - worries me that he is the back up for the injured Oastler. There is a player in there but not quite showing this yet.

Cruise- Good game until he moved to right back where he often looked a little lost. At fault for Exeter’s third goal. Good acquisition and will be an important squad player this year.

Saah – Solid game and comfortable on the ball.

Downes – Looked very good at times but made a few mistakes so a little rusty and needs to sharpen up. Gave cheap free kicks away which can be costly if this continues.

Lathrope – At fault for the first goal and gave the ball away too often. Under pressure from Easton for his place on last night’s showing.

Easton – Poor first 30mins but very good thereafter. Some great cross field balls and when with Manse looked a great pairing.

Craig – Looked raw but real talent is apparent. A few mistakes but experience of league football and he could be a very decent player at this level. Whipped corners are superb and second goal was due to this great delivery. Not quite ready for the start in the Eunan role but will be knocking on the door soon enough I would think.

Stevens – Decent free kick at the end of the first half but did very little else. Gave up possession too often. Not his best 45mins.

Macklin – Great pace and great goal. Worked really hard and was very impressed by him. Has the corner been turned? Definitely would keep him now. Scared the hell out of Exeter from the half hour onwards until he was withdrawn on the hour mark.

Howe – Took a while to get into the game but worked hard and when we had control of the game looked a threat. Him with Bodin and Macklin playing off him looked really good in the short time they were all on the pitch.

Manse – Different team when Manse was at the heart of it. Massive player for us and a true captain and leader. Looked a great partnership with Easton.

Bodin – Did some really good things when he came on and showed some great skill. Gave the ball away cheaply a few times but scared Exeter when he had the ball. His quick feet for his goal was a thing of beauty.

Nico – In great shape and combined very well down the left with Bodin and Morris. Seems to have a yard more pace since his slim down. There will not be many (if any) better left backs in League 2 this year.

Morris – Did ok but nothing special. Couple of chances to put dangerous crosses in which he got badly wrong but combined with Nico nicely on a couple of occasions.

Yeoman – Tidy play but nothing much more. Seemed lost on the right wing and not quite sure where he should be playing at times. Did nothing wrong though.

McKenzie – Great goal saving tackle after a Downes mistake and looked ok overall. Big lad and reminds me a bit of Ellis.

Thompson – Looks a real player. Took over from Howe in the striker role. Unlucky not to score with a great shot which hit the post and has great direct pace. Looks confident and has already filled out enough at his young age to play League football. Excited about his future. May even make an impact this year.

MOM – Macklin. Ling gave him deserved credit when he came off and when he and Bodin played off Howe for the 15mins before he came off we looked at our very best.
Not only doing enough for us to keep him but he might also be forcing himself into the starting 11. Well done Lloyd – let’s hope for all of us you keep your good start up and make this your breakthrough season.

My starting 11 after last night:

Poke
Oastler Saah Downes Nico
Manse Morris Easton
Macklin Bodin
Howe

SUBS – Rice, Cruise, Lathrope, Stevens, Craig, Jarvis, Thompson
Last edited by Richinns on 01 Aug 2012, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Richinns wrote:My starting 11 after last night:

Poke
Oastler Saah Downes Nico
Manse Morris Easton
Macklin Bodin
Howe

SUBS – Rice, Cruise, Lathrope, Stevens, Craig, Jarvis, Thompson
I must say I completely agree with you Rich. What a cracking line up! :-D
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Definately the lineup I'd want to see. Unfortunately minus Morris. I've been defending him for months on here, and I still do think that theres a player somewhere there. But last night he certainly wasn't up to the standard of Craig or Damon, and played at least one ball that we very nearly conceeded from.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

I would start with Morris. Its been stated than he wasn't a wide player and copped a lot of unfair abuse from sections of the crowd last season for his performances on the wing. In Eunan's absence he should be given the first chance to be his replacement, in a position many believe to be better suited for him. I would like to see him start there for the first 5 or 6 games and see what he can deliver, if it isn't what we are led to believe he can produce then look to others to fill the space. It just doesn't send out a very good or very fair message to one of last season's hard-working squad members if he is out of the team before he even has the chance to justify his inclusion.

I think there is plenty more to come from him. There needs to be, Nathan Craig and Craig Easton have both impressed me from what I have seen from them so far.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totaly agree Bengull, whilst I like the starting line put forward by Rich, the same surely should apply to both Stevens and Lathrope who were both hard working members of the team last season and not forgetting that Stevens scored 10 very important goals for us, therefore I would and think Lingy will start with with Morris, Stevens and Lathrope.

The performances of Criag and Easton , and Lloyd Macklin who has to me been the stand out performer so far, should have shown all concerned with the club we now have a real squad with real depth, and players more than capable of stepping up, should there be injuries/suspensions or a loss of form with the starting 11.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i think morris does have something to offer, he played at championship level with scunny and blackpool, cant have become a bad player overnight, good squad player to have around, can pay in a couple of different positions, did get a couple of goals last season, think he had a lot of unjust stick from sections of the crowd
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Someone tweeted it and it's a fair comment, whilst I quite like Lloyd because I've always felt there was a player in there I think it's important to not go over the top with the praise considering these are friendlies where tackling is a second thought.

His real tests will be actual games and whether he can make an impact either off the bench or from the start. We don't know yet and these PSF games won't tell us that.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

What I like best about the line up is the options off the bench. The young lads are strong enough to make an impact off the bench, with the rest capable of being first team if they get the chance. The only player this may not spply to is Rice, but he seems to have improved and may be ok for the odd game Poke is suspended, injured. If not, no doubt Ling has a few loanees in mind if needed.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I sent texts to a few season ticket holders about going to Sid James and none were interested. All said they were only going to Sid James went it counts.

It'll be an away end sell out when it counts and in that disgraceful, small capacity end not every season ticket holder who wants to go when it counts will get a ticket.

I've got history at that ground for both Argyle and Torquay. I'll be there when it counts.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Not being from Devon and so not really engrained in the rivalry between us and excretia i stumbled across the term 'chipnickers' in reference to Torquay fans on their crappy forum. Anyone know what this means? Apologies in advance though to jonnyfive for not knowing. I AM an outsider you see and have no right to know these things. If i was brought up around the streets of Plainmoor then i'd know but as i had to make do with the grimy slummy streets of Yorkshire pooholes then i have no way of knowing. Cheers all.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

austrianandygull wrote:Not being from Devon and so not really engrained in the rivalry between us and excretia i stumbled across the term 'chipnickers' in reference to Torquay fans on their crappy forum. Anyone know what this means?

Gulls ?

They swoop down on you when on the harbourside eating your fish and chips ?

Chipnickers ?

There's a poster on here called Chipnicker. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"