Fleetwood away - early thoughts and plans.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Fleetwood away - early thoughts and plans.

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Apologies for my eagerness given that the season opener at Fleetwood is well over a month away still but i can't wait!! :scarf:

I just wondered what you guys thought of our trip there, our opponents and what plans you have made for the game. Have any of you been to Fleetwood before? The ground or the town itself?

I am really looking forward to this game and not just because it's the opener but because the game represents part of the history of Fleetwood Town FC and also it is a place ( and ground ) i have never visited before. Obviously we can't make score predictions as we both probably haven't finished selling / recruiting new players for the kick off but we all know that they have a bit of cash for this level and in signing Steve Gillespie i believe he is one of the best strikers in the bottom two leagues and it just didn't go for him at Colchester. They also have 'THE BEAST' Jon Parkin. Early indications show that they have every intention of doing a Crawley and buying their way to league 2.

I'm planning to spend the morning and early afternoon in Fleetwood itself before making my way to the Highbury Stadium for a good look around and wallow in the atmosphere. I just hope we get some bloody sunshine so i can have a few hours on the beach! Not holding my breath though. Floods probably, like it is now up here.

All in all i am pleased at Fleetwood being our first game although York would have been superb for me but it's fine. See you all there then?

COYY!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

austrianandygull wrote:Early indications show that they have every intention of doing a Crawley and buying their way to league 2.
They already did that Andy..! :~D So they'll be trying for League One next. No chance! They'll have to face reality now. Mid-table mediocrity for them..

A convincing win for the Gulls at Fleetwood, doubles over Gargoyle and Excretia City, and the League Two title for us at the end of the season! :-D

Can't wait..! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Definately going this one, albeit a 1 hour journey for me. Fleetwood is kind of a Morecambe in Location/town(ie not alot there). For those planning on a overnighter, Blackpool is the most viable place for a hotel/bb room, and simply get the tram to Fleetwood. Rooms just like Torquay will be at a premium as its the height of the tourist season(will be full of jocks). Very hard to predict score here despite the bookies having them massive favourites. My gut feeling is a draw, and that would be a good result in my opinion
Lucy
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

I'll be stewarding the Beautiful Days festival in sunny (???) East Devon that weekend so my plans for the match involve nervously checking my phone every 5 minutes from 3pm to 4:45! I've got a feeling we'll scrape a win (the start of another season of 1-0s?), but agree that a draw would a good result.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm expecting (not hoping) for an inconsistent season that sees us on the fringes of the play off positions. Then unlike last season (that saw our form collapse in the run in) we see a purple patch of form that takes us into a solid play off position and maybe beyond where we go up by a country mile. :O

Here's hoping. :nod:

As Stefano knows, the early home game v Rochdale could be crucial. ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote:I'm expecting (not hoping) for an inconsistent season that sees us on the fringes of the play off positions. Then unlike last season (that saw our form collapse in the run in) we see a purple patch of form that takes us into a solid play off position and maybe beyond where we go up by a country mile. :O

Here's hoping. :nod:

As Stefano knows, the early home game v Rochdale could be crucial. ;-)
You will be able to predict the whole season based on the result that day! Well it's always worked before!! ;-)
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Will probably be going on the fun bus. Fleetwood will be well up for it, but we will have to play the team, not the occasion, to borrow a cliche.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I think this will be a difficult game which we will do well to avoid losing. They have great momentum from last season whilst we have the opposite.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

austrianandygull wrote:Apologies for my eagerness given that the season opener at Fleetwood is well over a month away still but i can't wait!! :scarf:

I just wondered what you guys thought of our trip there, our opponents and what plans you have made for the game. Have any of you been to Fleetwood before? The ground or the town itself?

I am really looking forward to this game and not just because it's the opener but because the game represents part of the history of Fleetwood Town FC and also it is a place ( and ground ) i have never visited before. Obviously we can't make score predictions as we both probably haven't finished selling / recruiting new players for the kick off but we all know that they have a bit of cash for this level and in signing Steve Gillespie i believe he is one of the best strikers in the bottom two leagues and it just didn't go for him at Colchester. They also have 'THE BEAST' Jon Parkin. Early indications show that they have every intention of doing a Crawley and buying their way to league 2.

I'm planning to spend the morning and early afternoon in Fleetwood itself before making my way to the Highbury Stadium for a good look around and wallow in the atmosphere. I just hope we get some bloody sunshine so i can have a few hours on the beach! Not holding my breath though. Floods probably, like it is now up here.

All in all i am pleased at Fleetwood being our first game although York would have been superb for me but it's fine. See you all there then?

COYY!!!
Just be a bit wary. Fleetwood has a reputation for trouble. I followed the news of their exploits last season and there was news of trouble at a lot of thier matches. Home following is worse. Not many of them but enough to make life uncomfortable for those showing colours on their own. Blackpool fans sometimes make up some of their crowd but it seems it's the Fleet locals who are a little agressive.
Yes they are the moneybags of this season. If comparing the Chairman of Fleetwood v Chairman of Blackpool. The Blackpool Chairman seems w bit reticent to put much money into the club, whereas the Chairman of Fleetwood is using it as a hobby and ploughs money in like water.. Seems a common thread through the leagues now unfortunatly.
I did say last season they have done a Crawley but haven't quite managed to gain Creepy's reputation. But If their fans kick off I doubt that will last. One last thing. I wonder if My Pilley will end up at her majesties pleasure. He runs an energy company Based in Fleetwood. They have a reputation I would not want. I have been the victim of three of their sales calls and to put it mildly they basicaly tell lies. So if your contacted by Commercial Meter Registrations Ltd, They will tell you that you have been put on an emergency tarrif (not correct in my case) that they act for makor suppliers including Eon (no they don't) and they are not brokers. (not true) and further it wasn't a sales call (lies) This company has had a huge raft of complaints to Enron. and Trading standards. If they ring you up make sure they send you details of any contracts by post. Not email. And do not say yes to anything, not even your own name.
Can't see how they will last the distance either. If their Chairman gets fed up and leaves or transgresses for whatever reason or for other reasons the money dries up they will come back down with a bump. They have done it with regularity through the years apparently. All there in the records to look up.
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/bloodsindepe ... sindepende" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers for the info GG. I'll keep my head down as i mostly do at away games. Only problem with that is that i can't see the game, just my feet! Hence a lot of inaccurate away game reports last season! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

Just had a browse on thetrainline.com and you can get a single to Fleetwood for £31.00 (if you have a rail-card that is)

quite reasonable, only thing is it's £62 for a return, unless you want to stay up there!!

It's over 6 hours on the train so it's gonna be at least 8 hours by coach.... :(
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

rachii12 wrote:Just had a browse on thetrainline.com and you can get a single to Fleetwood for £31.00 (if you have a rail-card that is)

quite reasonable, only thing is it's £62 for a return, unless you want to stay up there!!

It's over 6 hours on the train so it's gonna be at least 8 hours by coach.... :(
You do realise that Fleetwood doesn't actually have a railway station?
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Jeff wrote: You do realise that Fleetwood doesn't actually have a railway station?
Take the train to Blackpool and then hop on a tram for Fleetwood. They only go there. there is no other destination. Simples!
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Glostergull wrote:Take the train to Blackpool and then hop on a tram for Fleetwood. They only go there. there is no other destination. Simples!

Bah. Everybody knows that when it comes to Fleetwood, you can go your own way.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

happytorq wrote:
Thought that was only a rumour..