Welcome back Pickler?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Welcome back Pickler?

Post by Colorado Gull »

I have it on very reliable authority from a source affiliated to the club that Guy Branston will be making a return to Plainmoor for possibly one season only to finish his career at Torquay United.

I personally would absolutely love Guy to make a return to TUFC even if it is only for one season. It would give ML a year to find a permanent replacement for Ellis, with a superb CB temporary replacement in the mean time.

What is your view on this? And would you be glad to see the Pickler back in a yellow shirt?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Hmm... not so sure on this one. I loved Branno and thought he was fantastic, but we've seen what a massive difference there has been with 2 fairly mobile central defenders. Branston could only have got slower since he left us and I don't want it lumped up the park every time he gets the ball.

I'd much rather have centre backs who are decent at all tasks, than ones who excel at some and are deeply flawed at others.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

He was so dodgy at the mem last season. Think he's past it
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

I can't see it myself unless it is to warm the bench.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Think we saw the best of him last time around. Bit of a hero for me, but they say you should never go back..
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

That would make a lot of sense.

I believe Branno is about to become a Dad and his girlfriend is from Devon and I think it's fair to say that he enjoyed his time down here so for all sorts of reasons a move back to the Westcountry, and more particularly Torbay, would I imagine be appealing.

The only reason he left last year was because he secured a lucrative deal at Bradford when Peter Jackson was Manager but within a couple of months Jackson had moved on and he never really established himself again when Phil Parkinson took over. He has another year on his contract to run up there but Parkinson has made it clear that he doesn't figure in his plans and is available on a free transfer. No doubt he will have to take a big pay cut but given all the circumstances I doubt that money is his main motivation twelve months on, which it probably was last summer - although he would probably say it was the appeal of playing for a big club like Bradford!!!

I would hope that we still see Angus MacDonald coming in as, in effect, Mark Ellis' replacement next season and that he is given a decent chance at establishing himself as first choice with maybe Branno as back up, but we still need another centre half to bring our complement up to four(assuming Ellis goes) and Branno would make a lot of sense provided he isn't asking for too much in terms of wages and on a short (1 year) deal. Although he's getting to the end of his career we shouldn't forget that it was only 12 months ago that he was chosen by his fellow peers for the PFA League 2 team.
Last edited by CP Gull on 23 Jun 2012, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Player coach ? Branno has coahing badges not to what level though.
Formerly known as forevertufc
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Why not? Okay, he makes John Terry look 'nippy' but he does the simple stuff really effectively, and gives the team some bite.

A professional in every sense (including winding up opponents and buttering up the ref), he is a great guy to have around.

Come back Guy. I want to watch you kick the sh*t out of Akinfenwa again!
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

depends in what capacity. i loved the bloke for the impact he had during his time with us, and off the pitch he's a top man as well. if he was coming back with an eye on coaching, getting his badges etc, i think it would be great to have him back, clearly he has as much of a positive effect off the pitch as he does on it, but as a possible replacement for Ellis, no. that's nothing to do with ability, i'm purely thinking to the future, and would rather have someone coming in that's going to develop, and be there in 2, 3, 4 yrs time. would be great to have him around the place again though.

if it was the branno of two years ago, and the saah that we saw in the second half of the season, what a pairing that would be !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

On the whole, yes. He was very good for us while he was at Plainmoor, although he may - and only may - be a little too slow now. I have to admit that I like these 'old time footballers' - you know the ones I mean, those that seems to have passed through a time tunnel directly from the 1950s. So, yes, he'd be welcomed back.
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

I'm sure he was at TCC last night when I was taking my boys there for teakwondo.He came jogging out of there about 6 o'clock.wish I had had the chance to ask him now!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

According to his twitter he was in Wellswood yesterday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
knh31667
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: dave caldwell

Post by knh31667 »

hes experience would improve brian saah even more....two centrehalve,one rightfooted,one left footed,one great in the air,one with pace..imagine that with poss m.poke in goal.pretty solid if u ask me
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I'd love Branston to return. He was a brick against us when he came on for Bradford at there place. Maybe Parkinson couldnt get the best out of him? Coming back here might bring back some form since we'd get behind him all the way at Bradford he might have there fans on the back as they struggled last season.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Not sure how much of a progressive move it would be for us but i'd have him back at Plainmoor in a flash. An absolute TUFC legend for me and despite his limited ability he did amazing things for us and he can always be relied on to give 100% and motivate the others.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.