New Goalkeeper

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yellow Tree
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Yellow Tree »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 46,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Olejnik is 3rd! Usual great reporting from the herald again!!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

SteveDeckchair wrote:Absolutely ridiculous Gloster!!

There are two glaring spelling mistakes in your post and didn't you ever get told to start every sentence with a capital letter? I mean, "Garauntee" and "potontial". Pah!

Good point made otherwise.

Today's Herald article talks about splitting the money between 'The Bench', Forches Cross and the squad. I make that a nice round £100k each.

So, Bobby's salary on another good player (freebie hopefully) plus £75k ish on another good player (also free) plus a bit extra for who/whatever else (fee/wages). Two for one, lovely jubbly!

Then, Gloster gets his financial prudence on 'The Bench' (I make it £666k = 1/3 funded by Thea). I'm sure if she got some money back so soon she'd be delighted. Not sure what they will do about the loan, but a standard borrowing rate on £0.5m would be c.5% p.a or £25k. A token gesture if you like.

£75k to repay Thea's loan and £25k to cover the interest. Better off repaying the loan than paying tax on a profit at the end of the season!
I see that you have had practice at being a total t**t.
First of all I doubt you even notices that I had to do this piece when I had finished my work. 11:53, That's near midnight, I happen to work 14 hour days most days. minimum 6 days a week. with this recession on
Second. I notice that you haven't lampooned all the others who's awfull grammar is way worse than mine or picked up on their spelling mistakes either. I take it you won't mind me lampooing you for every spelling mistake you make in the future. A place on the executive naughty step for you my lad. Be afraid. Be very afraid!
I was not aware that Thea had funded any of the stand. I suppose that goes down as even more borrowed money and in todays market I doubt that loans will have low interest rates. Assuming that she lent slightly below market rate. she may well be getting 5 or 6%, but then again I say better spend on repaying and make a profit one year and then as inevitably happens we make a bit of a loss the next year or two and get that tax back.
It also has another side effect. Many of you will not know that HMRC have been told to target specific business sectors who habitualy make a loss. The football sector is one of the areas they will be concentrating on. I know we run a tight ship but an unannounced poke into our tax affairs by an HM Inspector although not finding anything will still cost an lot of money to employ experts to tell them to go away. It's all better kept in our pocket in the long run.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

CP Gull wrote:Perfectly sensible Glos, but like all things I think it's about getting the balance right. As far as I am aware, the only money we owe as a football club is to Thea Bristow through directors loans, now I don't know what arrangements are in place viz the repayment of these loans or indeed the interest(if any) being charged but as majority shareholder in Plainmoor Ltd I don't imagine she is too desperate for her money back at anytime in the near future. I would imagine that she is still very comfortably off especially given that she can apparently afford tickets for the Olympic Opening Ceremony!!!

We do have to do something with regard to the Training Ground though as if nothing else we have to have adequate training facilities in place for the Youth team in order to qualify for the larger pot of money(£200k+) that is coming our way from the EPL under the new scheme. The current facilities are not considered adequate enough it seems and rather than a temporary fix i.e. upgrading Seale Hayne which could just prove to be a waste of money in the end, it would surely be preferable to be investing the money in a permanent facility i.e. the Fotches Cross development.

I do also think it's prudent though to give some of the money to Martin Ling. If we lose all three of those players then we have by and large sold off the crown jewels as realistically there is no one currently left in the squad who would likely command the sort of fees these guys will and so if he can uncover some more gems he should be allowed to in my opinion. I'm sure the club are hoping that one or two of our youngsters might make the grade eventually but at the moment apart from perhaps Craig and Halpin who may have the potential to play at a higher level there would seem to be precious little else in the current squad as things stand. Furthermore, we cannot allow the squad to be weakened to the extent that our FL status us ever out at jeopardy again as that would ruin all the good work that has been done under the current regime.

Clearly though with all this money flowing through the club it makes sense to spend a fair chunk of it as we certainly dont want to start making huge profits and having large tax bills now do we! Therefore I think paying off some of the debt to Thea would also, like you say, make a lot of commercial sense. If we can do that, establish a new and permanent training facility and strengthen our squad prudently then I for one will be very happy at the health of our club, particularly when you consider where we were 5 years ago!
I think it a bit odd that we have no problem with loans from Thea. (I have no problem at all). Yet a few years ago many on here were lampooning MB for loans he made to keep us afloat and gaining interest from it. I can only come to the conclusion that becase we had a couple of bad seasons with the good seasons a lot of bias was expressed in his direction. Don't forget that he started the development of Plainmoor. Add to that we have had a continual rise since he arrived. I checked the facts and league positions and compared with previous seasons we have had a slow but continual rise in fortune. coupled with several finals of one sort or another.
Another thing that is now troubling me. The training grounds.
Now as far as I can remember,(note that senility has to be allowed for) we haven't been at Seal Hayne for long. Why did we go there and why so much money spent on a facility that is seen as not fit for purpose? Could this have been noted before we spent a lot of money on it? Was there no other place in the pipeline like Forches Cross? Was that not available at the time?
It seems that our club along with a few other clubs in the league seem to regularly change their training facility. Bristol Rovers have had the same thing too. Whereas Bristol City and Exeter have had theirs for a long time. I cannot say about Plymuff or Yeovil.
Just a few questions in my mind allowing for not being neccessarily in possession of all the facts.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Having looked through all the names mentioned on this thread, there is one that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned.

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and throw it out there........

Luke McCormack

*ducks for cover*
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Pretty sure he signed for Swindon, after the trial
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Yellow4life wrote:Pretty sure he signed for Swindon, after the trial
Not necessarily - the way they are portraying it is that they are merely helping his rehabilitation into society by allowing him to train with them

Link here to an interview with the Swindon chairman: http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/ne ... e/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Jeff wrote:Having looked through all the names mentioned on this thread, there is one that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned.

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and throw it out there........

Luke McCormack

*ducks for cover*
McCormick, wrong vowel mate. Not the worst suggestion I've heard, would be a gamble from TUFC though.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Our club is built on the reputation of being a 'family club' and any controversial move like this would undermine that part of our appeal to many fans.

But i'm not doubting that he was a fine goalkeeper.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

stevegull wrote:Our club is built on the reputation of being a 'family club' and any controversial move like this would undermine that part of our appeal to many fans.

But i'm not doubting that he was a fine goalkeeper.
He has done his time though. The man made an terrible error of judgement. I am sure he has to live with this for the rest of his life. Personally I believe he should have got 20 years but he has done his time. I would give him the chance.
Last edited by usagullmichigan on 23 Jun 2012, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Glostergull wrote: I see that you have had practice at being a total t**t.
First of all I doubt you even notices that I had to do this piece when I had finished my work. 11:53, That's near midnight, I happen to work 14 hour days most days. minimum 6 days a week. with this recession on
Second. I notice that you haven't lampooned all the others who's awfull grammar is way worse than mine or picked up on their spelling mistakes either. I take it you won't mind me lampooing you for every spelling mistake you make in the future. A place on the executive naughty step for you my lad. Be afraid. Be very afraid!
Oh dear. You're not an American are you Glost? I don't really give a shite about your spelling, but was taking the piss. :na: I will endeavour to put smilies everywhere in future, so there is no confusion as to my intentions..... :-D :-D :-D
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

usagullmichigan wrote: He has done his time though. The man made an terrible error of judgement. I am sure he has to life with this for the rest of his life. Personally I believe he should have got 20 years but he has done his time. I would give him the chance.
I know pal, I do agree with you that he should be allowed to return to the only career he knows. However, i was just saying that for a club that has been branded a 'family club' it could do more harm than good in terms of attendance figures. I know many people are still disgusted at that whole affair and some might not want to come and watch if it meant cheering on that man. Not my personal views, just some I know are still present in this area.

Also, he's going to need a VERY thick skin whereever he does end up. Goalkeepers normally get stick from fans and I can only imagine what some idiots would yell at this man.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

I would not watch TUFC with Luke McCormick as a player. Disgusting human being and should've been locked up for 10x the amount he actually got. I know this is an extreme view, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but the guy killed 2 children though his own idiocy.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I understand your viewpoint Nick, however he has done the time that the courts and prison deemed necessary (however short people may have thought it had been), and therefore has the right to continue on doing what he knows how to do.

Did you have the same reservations about Zebs playing for us? He smashed something over another players head and got away with it.
These sort of things happen, people get caught, people get done, people get released....if you needed plumbing work done on your house (for example) and halfway through the job being done you found out that the plumber had once been sent down for a few months for a drink drive related offence whereby he killed somebody, would you tell him to stop the job and kick him out of your house?

It's McCormicks fault that he did what he did - it's NOT his fault that his sentence was rubbish and he now has the right to continue on doing what he does - if that means he ends up playing for us, then so be it as far as I am concerned.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Thing isl McCormicks life seems to be pretty clean before the crash. Was it just a one off stupid but costly mistake? The guy needs a job and he is a footballer.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

we dont want him here im sorry but what if it were your kids he had killed, let some other club have him.