CONFIRMED: Mark Ellis to Crewe ....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry Yellow, as much as I count you as a friend, I can't agree with your reply.

Messed around !!! Come on Torquay United are running a professional football club/team, this is not local under 13 stuff, where a little lad comes along, he is not very good at football, however turns up to training every week, so gets some pitch time, Mark Ellis is not different to any other pro, he has to prove he is worthy, it's funny how st Martin of Ling, agreed in the first instance with the weasel.

This not about being a detractor, or having an axe to grind over Mark Ellis either, I have no axe to grind with him, and will be delighted if he stays, to me its about keeping it real, I like to the fact Marl Ellis wears his heart on his sleeve out on the pitch, and his blood and guts approach makes him popular with fans.

However I just don't understand how so many can't see that his blood and guts approach, is such a massive. massive big flaw in Mark's game, how many times do we see Mark Ellis have a rush of blood, and go charging 30 yrds up the field , if a centre back takes that opition, then its so, so "important " he wins the header, how many times do we see mark Ellis do that and fail to win the header, leaving a gap wider than the mersey tunnel in behind us, watch back Cheltenham's second goal in the play-off semi..a prime example, of many.

How many times do we see him swipe at a clearence, watch back the video of Port Vale's goal at Plainmoor another example of many, compare that to the calm approach of Brian Saah who often tidies things up at the back, and saved our bacon countless times , yet struggle to gain the same praise.

Please don't get me wrong , I am in no way trying to hang Mark Ellis, we all make mistakes in our home and working lives, and the very best footballers are not immune to the odd cock up.

All I am saying is, thier is no doubt Mark Ellis is a good talented footballer, however he is not that good..keep it real.
Formerly known as forevertufc
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

Good piece in the herald about our previous best transfer fees received.Top of the list was rodney for 650k.It also has Wayne Thomas for 250k which is a lot more than what I thought we got for him.Bobby comes in at our 4th best!not bad for a free transfer.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

northyorkshiregull wrote:Good piece in the herald about our previous best transfer fees received.Top of the list was rodney for 650k.It also has Wayne Thomas for 250k which is a lot more than what I thought we got for him.Bobby comes in at our 4th best!not bad for a free transfer.
Yes, I saw that too and like you was surprised at the figure quoted for Wayne Thomas, it's a little higher than I thought it was.

Mind you, I'm not convinced the figures are entirely accurate as it has David Graham being sold to Wigan for £315k whereas surely it was only £215k? If I'm right it makes Bobby O's transfer the THIRD largest in our history and not the FOURTH.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Does anyone remember how much we got for Sharpe? I know it was a long time ago!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

250,000 I believe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

According to his wiki page(enough said), Lee Sharpe joined Man.U in June 1988 for £200K then a record fee for a YTS player.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

From memory, Lee Sharpe went for £180k.
Last edited by CP Gull on 21 Jun 2012, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Wonder what that equates to in modern day terms?!
TUST member 328
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Real shame about Sharpe. Could of been a great player if not for his personal issues.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

usagullmichigan wrote:Real shame about Sharpe. Could of been a great player if not for his personal issues.
Yeah, I always felt that he had at least as much ability as Ryan Giggs - probably more, because he occasionally used his right foot - but you can tell (especially given he's still going!) that Giggs was a lot more professional. That backheel goal that Sharpe scored in the cup winners cup final (i think it was 94?) still makes me smile, even if it was for Man U.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

happytorq wrote: Yeah, I always felt that he had at least as much ability as Ryan Giggs - probably more, because he occasionally used his right foot - but you can tell (especially given he's still going!) that Giggs was a lot more professional. That backheel goal that Sharpe scored in the cup winners cup final (i think it was 94?) still makes me smile, even if it was for Man U.
Cup winners cup final was 92? I was there at the Rotterdam. Awful weather aswell. I have it in my head though that Bruce and Hughes scored. 2-1 v Barca
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

usagullmichigan wrote:Real shame about Sharpe. Could of been a great player if not for his personal issues.
Fergie/Sharpe relationship was never really a good one. He thought Sharpe could have been the best attacking left back England has ever produced but Sharpe insisted he would not play there. Shame - waste of such a gifted player.
TUST member 328
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Richinns wrote:
Fergie/Sharpe relationship was never really a good one. He thought Sharpe could have been the best attacking left back England has ever produced but Sharpe insisted he would not play there. Shame - waste of such a gifted player.[/quote

Well I wouldn't say that. When Sharpe had his issues Fergie had Sharpe live with him, so he must of thought alot of him to do that.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

yellow wrote:£70k would be a laughably insulting figure for someone of Ellis's potential.

First Bobby, perhaps Eunan and now this. I know that we are a selling club but this is rubbing salt into the wounds.... :@

too true
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

usagullmichigan wrote:Cup winners cup final was 92? I was there at the Rotterdam. Awful weather aswell. I have it in my head though that Bruce and Hughes scored. 2-1 v Barca

actually, yes. The backheel was in the 94/95 champions league group stages. my memory is going. I'd have sworn blind it was the CWC final.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/man_utd/ ... leagu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.