CONFIRMED: Mark Ellis to Crewe ....

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

Ellis now gone according to the OS however ling says an announcement could be made later today after he has tracked 3 or 4 new players
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Cheers Mark - but like Mr Ling says - we move on
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

£80k. That’s another steal. Crewe seem to have the hang of this transfer lark.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Bit annoyed how long it's dragged on. Cheers Mark. Be interesting to see if you're a regular starter in L1 and if you can actually cut it up there.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

clemy1989 wrote:Ellis now gone according to the OS however ling says an announcement could be made later today after he has tracked 3 or 4 new players
Well it will be interesting to see who comes in now. I would imagine that Guy Branston was probably one of the 3 or 4 that Lingy has been tracking and who knows whether he would have been brought in if Mark Ellis had reached an agreement with Crewe last week instead of this one. Anyway, we move on and by the sounds of it Lingy has already got someone lined up. If he wants someone local, then I reckon Marcel Seip would fit the bill perfectly ... but I guess we will find out soon enough.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I wonder if one of the players ling is speaking to his Ryan Cresswell of Rotherham?

Purely a stab in the dark, but there is an article on the BBC saying he is in talks with 3 clubs - "believed to be" Oxford, Southend and Wimbledon. Of course, what they believe might not be correct as we have been in the market for a centre back for a while now.

At least this deal is done and dusted now. It's important we get our first choice centre half and goalkeeper in place for early pre-season. The earlier they get to work together the better.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Well it took longer than I thought it would to be confirmed, but we move on and the very best of luck to Mark!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

yellow wrote:£80k. That’s another steal. Crewe seem to have the hang of this transfer lark.
Why? We just got £80k for a player who was out of contract in a few weeks. Who knows what would have happened in a tribunal. Ellis is a good CB but unproven above league 2 and IMO unlikely to rise above league 1 level. £80k is another decent amount of money that can be used to fund more than 1 player, or someone on higher wages.
I don't like selling our best players, but I don't think we have had a choice in all 3 so far, nor do we have much of a choice in the money coming in. Martin Ling rebuilt the squad spening £0 on transfer fees, this season he should have at least a couple of hundred grand. Good.

And good luck to Mark Ellis, who has always given his all for this club.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Because he was worth more than that. If Eunan is worth £175k then so is Mark Ellis.

Crewe sell for millions and buy for peanuts. That is the way to make money.

We pay nothing and then seem to be delighted with anything.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

yellow wrote:Because he was worth more than that. If Eunan is worth £175k then so is Mark Ellis.
You don't appear to understand basic economics. Any sellable item is worth what people are prepared to pay. What people are prepared to pay for footballers depends on a range of factors, of which things like ability are just one. another criterion is length of contract. O'Kane has a longer contract, therefore (all things being equal) he will always be worth more.

It's all very well going on incessantly about players being worth more, but if Crewe are the only team prepared to make an offer, that is what the guy is worth. We could have taken our chances with a tribunal but taking £80k now allows us to budget with that money, and in any case, there is absolutely no guarantee that a tribunal would award us more.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Good luck to Mr Ellis. He had his flaws but he gave everything, and on his day is an excellent, excellent defender. We move on.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Without shadowing over the good points from Mark as he was very solid for us last season, I will not miss any of his 'rash' tackles in the box, especially those in the last few games.

At the end of the day if he was fully commited to TUFC he would have stayed, let's take the money and move forwards.